Reload Thread: SSA 12" Dcon Review

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: SSA 12" Dcon Review

Big thanks to Audiolife for whipping out the enclosure in short order. 2.25cuft tuned to 31hz, which is smack in the middle of the "optimal" ported enclosure as listed on the website (which is why this enclosure was chosen).

I'll do some listening impressions after I get more listening time.

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Excellent review as always, not terribly surprised by the results.

Savstyle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

good review as allways

I wanna see your unfinshed kicks lol

They Call Me DARKNESS

Gamertag: Savstyle

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It has arse now but it went from super tight to slightly muddy IMO but it isn't really tuned yet. Should have a better review after we get kicked out of the Wal-Mart parking lot!

Sony Mobile ES C-90 Audison Bit-One
    Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

denim is offline SSAudio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

This is the part of the review I am looking forward to, since it is more inline with the purpose and design. Keep of the good work.

CarAudio.com mod(original)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denim View Post
    This is the part of the review I am looking forward to, since it is more inline with the purpose and design. Keep of the good work.
    Its a good sub for sure I just didn't get much time to hear it for more than 10 minutes because Squeak had to go so we really didn't get to tune it. It gets fairly loud off ~500 watts of power and still retains some detail. If you plan on running a smaller amplifier to stay away from costly electrical upgrades this is a good sub to get into. I am not a ported woofer lover at all and it still sounded better than some sub systems I heard in plausible to spec sealed alignments.

Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, I'm not ready to give a more detailed review of the ported enclosure yet because right now I'm having some fun with the output.... I'd never keep it this loud, but I'm man enough to admit that it's been fun for the shits & giggles factor to this lame SQ guy. My past few setups have all been single sub sealed or IB, so this is the loudest setup I've had in my car for quite a while. It's finding rattles in my dash I never knew existed with the same power level I had running to it IB, which is somewhere under 500w.....and it's got a lot more left in it.

That and I have an issue I need to work out......low end came alive, but I lost the upper end Gotta figure out the cause, and how to go about fixing it.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798 View Post
    Well, I'm not ready to give a more detailed review of the ported enclosure yet because right now I'm having some fun with the output.... I'd never keep it this loud, but I'm man enough to admit that it's been fun for the shits & giggles factor to this lame SQ guy. My past few setups have all been single sub sealed or IB, so this is the loudest setup I've had in my car for quite a while. It's finding rattles in my dash I never knew existed with the same power level I had running to it IB, which is somewhere under 500w.....and it's got a lot more left in it.

That and I have an issue I need to work out......low end came alive, but I lost the upper end Gotta figure out the cause, and how to go about fixing it.......
    You are not the first to say that about this driver. But don't be , 1/2 of the fun is tuning.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, I tried various box positions just to be sure that it wasn't install related. I ended up bringing the overall sub level up 3-4db, effectively increasing power to the driver, and then EQ'd down the low end since it was a little peaky and overbearing down low for normal everyday listening with music (but it sure was fun when blasting the volume!). This brought the upper end response to the level it needed to be and smoothed out the low end.

Overall the driver performs well. It lost some quality compared to IB. The notes aren't quite as well defined and precise. There's some slight overhang compared to the previous alignment. Transitions aren't quite as seamless. This isn't to say the driver sounds bad, it's still more than listenable and would perform admirably for someone looking for a good sounding daily driver. It however isn't as precise and accurate as it was IB. Music with fast transitions between notes and constantly shifting bass lines helps mask the deficiencies.....they aren't quite as pronounced but a bit of overhang and blending of the notes is noticeable. On music with solid, defined notes in quick succession is where it's most notable but still acceptable for daily listening. Though this is might not be the ideal alignment for those who place the highest priority on accuracy.

The low end however has improved markedly as I had suspected would be the case. As I noted above, I actually had to tame down the low end as it could get overbearing. Definitely no lack of low end output now. This driver ported has absolutely no problems reaching output levels well behind that which is necessary for everyday listening and should be sufficient for all but the most die hard bassheads.

Overall after testing the driver both IB and in a ported enclosure, I stand by my initial impression of 7/10. In a ported enclosure there's some loss of accuracy with the benefit of enhanced low end output. In IB (and likely also sealed) the accuracy is overall good but it lacks low end output. If I were to recommend this driver, I would recommend it for a ported enclosure. To me, the slight loss in accuracy is worth the benefit of low end presence. The driver should perform quite well in a ported enclosure for someone looking for an inexpensive, quality driver with great output and adequate sound quality for daily listening.
    Last edited by squeak9798; 03-26-2009 at 11:49 PM.

rumblebee2 is offline I'm Higher Than You

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what an extensive review. i mean this in a good way-lol. would definitely consider this if on a lower udget based on your review.

refs:blkmrideon22s,skrilla22,eatank,ampjunkielikem e,werd,snoopysnooper,team3d, 350zspl, finkster

Feedback Thread:
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383386

'05 Reg. Cab 1500
    H.U.- pioneer deh-6800mp
    Sub Amp- saz-1500d
    Sub- tc3k 12" Quad 1.4ohm
    Front Stage- pioneer garbage
    Front Amp-
    Wires- Knu Flex 1/0
    Rca's- Knu Krystal
    Fuse holder- kicker

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

how much did you knock down the low?

Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Thank you Squeak and Audiolife for the detailed review. Glad to see it preformed for you the way we had intended it to. Maybe some others who are not all about pissing off the neighbors or in a power pissing contest will give them a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 12" gets loud enough to get a ticket easy you could hear it in my house very easy and Squeak was parked across the street.

Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

James Bang is offline Hand/Ear Coordination

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I never sqeak was a basshead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Bang View Post
    I never sqeak was a basshead.
    He is not, he had the same settings for IB when we first put the box in. I will say this though if someone wants a lot of bass and they have a small amp (500-700ish watts for a pair 250-350 for 1) these subs will do a good job while still being good sounding. Think those 500-600 watt alpine mono blocks would be perfect on a pair of them or close too.

Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast