Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Team NESPL rules question???

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Team NESPL rules question???

OK, I have an amp coming that'll have me competitive in the Rookie class for probably the rest of the season.

I notice the rules are maximum 3 cube box volume. Now the question being if someone were to run a single 18, which IMO isn't unreasonable for a first timer how would anyone do that in a 3 foot box?

Also assuming I just do up a 15, (which still wouldn't work well in 3 cube), will this calculation take into account displacement of port, bracing, and driver? How can such a measurement be taken accurately?

And why unlimited size slot port and a limit on round ports?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Re: Team NESPL rules question???

Furthermore, what does an octo-port count as?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Nobody? I'm really looking to get something built this week...

TeamElite-Mike is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You'll have better luck asking on the teamnortheast forums then here

Team Elite NESPL

TNESPL WC 2 Champ
    153db
    2 12" Trf Hybrids
    AB 500.1

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DM Audio-Mike View Post
    You'll have better luck asking on the teamnortheast forums then here
    I signed up the other day and still awaiting email confirmation link.

SPL Blazer is offline SPL Event Promoter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll email Brandon and see whats up with your confirmation email, mine never came so I had him bypass it for me.

Walled Astro, 4 DC Audio 18" XL's _____________________www.NewEnglandSPL.com
    1 Hifonics Sampson - 157.7 so far

Bought from: CRXBMPN, SPLTucson, f150john, LoudMOFO Sold To: Chris Team ACT, Big Rea$e

SPL140.2 is offline Team DefJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

make the box 3 cubes than invert your sub

Team DefJ
    http://www.myspace.com/loudinspl

WWW.JAGGEDEDGEKUSTUMVINYL.NET

REF'S:
    VOSSCHS-NJACK2AF-WOWIMZZ-DECIPHA-AZNGOTSKILLS-TRAFFICJAMZ-MILLIONARE1-QTRHORSE
    TSL13505-DJL(2)-KNOTSLCK-KYLEC-KNUKONCEPTZ(4)-KEIFERSRACING-TEAM H&K
    ANDRIZZLE-95BLACKGA(3)-MAX_POWER-POUNDINDAK69-DVRMSTRNG-BLONG131-PIMPDADDYQ
    NOPH33RACING-KPR10IS-XTREMEBASSJUNKY-ENVEE 02-J3M CONCEPTS(3)
    CONNERSDAD19(6)-SNOOPDAN(2)-SUNDOWNZ(3)-MRWIGGLEZDJ-ASTYL-BLAZIN_JASON-GOT_FOCUS?
    SPLCHOICE-DBDESIGNSELITE-JEREMY M-GLADIATOR_JAI-QTIPEXTRA(2)-BJFISH11(2)
    MEMPHISFLEX-CHA0-BBALL09124-BUCKYBOY-CURTIS1993-ICPURPLEPPLALOT-BMBORSK-P3BUMPIN-DEFJ165

SPL Blazer is offline SPL Event Promoter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    I notice the rules are maximum 3 cube box volume. Now the question being if someone were to run a single 18, which IMO isn't unreasonable for a first timer how would anyone do that in a 3 foot box?

Also assuming I just do up a 15, (which still wouldn't work well in 3 cube), will this calculation take into account displacement of port, bracing, and driver? How can such a measurement be taken accurately?

And why unlimited size slot port and a limit on round ports?
    A 3 cube limit is what is in the rules, if you can find an 18" that will work in that limited of a space then go for it, but I don't think you'll find it. You'd have better luck with a single 15" in 3 cubes, if your running the right sub it'll work. My 15" DC XL's are being put into 3 cubes each.

As far as measurements, it will be taken by measuring the enclosure and calculating the port displacement, sub displacements are all roughly the same. If your enclosure comes out to be 3.1 cubes I don't think there would be an issue, at least not at any single point events. If you want to try for Finals then you'd want to make sure it's at 3.0 cu ft, but you'll also want to buy your membership now since you are required to be a member within 14 days of an event to keep your points.

I believe the round ports are limited in size because you'll get louder using them over slot ports. Just my opinion. It's rare to see anyone really loud using a slot port in an enclosure.

Walled Astro, 4 DC Audio 18" XL's _____________________www.NewEnglandSPL.com
    1 Hifonics Sampson - 157.7 so far

Bought from: CRXBMPN, SPLTucson, f150john, LoudMOFO Sold To: Chris Team ACT, Big Rea$e

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPL Blazer View Post
    A 3 cube limit is what is in the rules, if you can find an 18" that will work in that limited of a space then go for it, but I don't think you'll find it. You'd have better luck with a single 15" in 3 cubes, if your running the right sub it'll work. My 15" DC XL's are being put into 3 cubes each.

As far as measurements, it will be taken by measuring the enclosure and calculating the port displacement, sub displacements are all roughly the same. If your enclosure comes out to be 3.1 cubes I don't think there would be an issue, at least not at any single point events. If you want to try for Finals then you'd want to make sure it's at 3.0 cu ft, but you'll also want to buy your membership now since you are required to be a member within 14 days of an event to keep your points.

I believe the round ports are limited in size because you'll get louder using them over slot ports. Just my opinion. It's rare to see anyone really loud using a slot port in an enclosure.
    Don't care about points.

I find it hard to believe you can't beat a single 4" port with say 80 sqin of slot port.

I will do either 1 or 2 15's at this point, but it seems that their size categories don't really make any sense with those restrictions on box and port size.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPL140.2 View Post
    make the box 3 cubes than invert your sub
    With the 24" from the back wall and 25" height limit it's not likely to happen.

spltuscon is offline Kick-*** box builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Single 15 in 3ft3 with large slot port should work best. A lot of 15's will work well in under 3ft3 as long as it's not on a low power application.
    Pair of 12's in same size box would probably do slightly better though, but if you're wanting to work with what you've got, then just try a single 15.

Dave The Box Guy

154.4 db USACi Stock 601-1800- NH S.R. 2009
    152.4 db legal in WCP1 TNESPL 2010
    150.9 db legal in Stock 1 NESPL 2010
    150.5 Street C Db Drag 2010

2010 Woofer Cooker Pro 1 champ
    2009 NESPL Competitor of the Year

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Single 15 in 3ft3 with large slot port should work best. A lot of 15's will work well in under 3ft3 as long as it's not on a low power application.
    Pair of 12's in same size box would probably do slightly better though, but if you're wanting to work with what you've got, then just try a single 15.

Dave The Box Guy

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spltuscon View Post
    This IS a low power application since it's limited to 2KW. Haven't decided whether I'll do single 15 or a pair. If Jacob would get back to me on recone parts I'd use 3 15's

Speaking of which, do you know anybody who might be in the market for the box you made for me? The box you made is really not my style. Nice looking solidly built all-arounder, but I'm looking to go all out one way or another, either tune to 55hz where I peak or tune to 30ish for lowz. I put up a 149.1 last weekend and I think that's about the limit without risking smoking amps, and even if I ran the amps to dangerous impedence I doubt I'd see 150.....not in the jeep anyway. This needs a LONGER car that peaks closer to 45 and it would be a monster.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spltuscon View Post
    This IS a low power application since it's limited to 2KW. Haven't decided whether I'll do single 15 or a pair. If Jacob would get back to me on recone parts I'd use 3 15's

Speaking of which, do you know anybody who might be in the market for the box you made for me? The box you made is really not my style. Nice looking solidly built all-arounder, but I'm looking to go all out one way or another, either tune to 55hz where I peak or tune to 30ish for lowz. I put up a 149.1 last weekend and I think that's about the limit without risking smoking amps, and even if I ran the amps to dangerous impedence I doubt I'd see 150.....not in the jeep anyway. This needs a LONGER car that peaks closer to 45 and it would be a monster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just re-read the rules and realized that it's 3ft per sub not total, so in that case I would run a pair of fifteens. If you're doing rookie class you should try with that box first because I think you would put up very respectable numbers with it. The record for Rookie 3 is a 142.4. On one of your 2k amps I think you could beat that. The tuning is also perfect for loud music numbers as opposed to burping since that's what you originally wanted anyway. If you go to 55hz for tuning you won't find much music to do a good number with.

For what it's worth, the same design (only not as strong of a build) is doing over a 150 legal with a 4k amp in another competitors truck. Granted it's not the same exact vehicle, but very close acoustically.

As far as someone else in the market for the box, I don't know of anyone at the moment. If it were 2" less deep I would love to run it in my truck.

Dave The Box Guy

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast