+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Reload Thread: 370Z in Central Florida - Dreams of SQ

  1. #1
    Chops's Avatar
    Chops is offline Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Na
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

    370Z in Central Florida - Dreams of SQ

    Hi everyone!

    It's been a long time since I've dabbled around in car audio. The last two systems built in 2003 and 2008. A lot has changed since those days, such as integrated bluetooth and steering wheel controls, none of which was in the last two vehicles that I did system installs in.

    My goal is to have a simple, cost effective system with a nice, quality front stage. No tweeters, no passive crossovers, one amp, maybe a couple of subs, but I'll save that for my build thread.







  2. #2
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Hurtin' feelings errrday.



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    10,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4616 Post(s)

    Re: 370Z in Central Florida - Dreams of SQ

    Am I reading that right.....no tweeters?
    @Jeffdachef can more than likely get you on track.



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 comps
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.
    Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

  3. #3
    Chops's Avatar
    Chops is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Na
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

    Re: 370Z in Central Florida - Dreams of SQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    Am I reading that right.....no tweeters?
    @Jeffdachef can more than likely get you on track.
    Yes sir. I'm running wideband 2.75" drivers in the dash, actively crossed over at 1.25 kHz.




  4. #4
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Hurtin' feelings errrday.



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    10,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4616 Post(s)

    Re: 370Z in Central Florida - Dreams of SQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Yes sir. I'm running wideband 2.75" drivers in the dash, actively crossed over at 1.25 kHz.
    Ah, that would explain why. Horn drivers....are they Image Dynamics?



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 comps
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.
    Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

  5. #5
    Chops's Avatar
    Chops is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Na
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

    Re: 370Z in Central Florida - Dreams of SQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    Ah, that would explain why. Horn drivers....are they Image Dynamics?
    Haha... No, not quite. I wish. I'm just using some cheapie Memphis PRX27 cone drivers. They replace the stock nasty 2" cone tweeters that were crossed over at 8 kHz.

    Well, I call them "cheapie", but they aren't half bad, and definitely tons better than the stock crud. They actually get some decent vocals up on the dash now.




  6. #6
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Hurtin' feelings errrday.



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    10,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4616 Post(s)

    Re: 370Z in Central Florida - Dreams of SQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Haha... No, not quite. I wish. I'm just using some cheapie Memphis PRX27 cone drivers. They replace the stock nasty 2" cone tweeters that were crossed over at 8 kHz.
    I see. ID is the only company I could think of that has those drivers....unsure if any other company has them. How's that FL heat/humidity treatin' ya lol?! Been to Orlando a few times. Got to visit the amazing Daytona Beach last year, finally.



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 comps
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.
    Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

  7. #7
    Chops's Avatar
    Chops is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Na
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

    Re: 370Z in Central Florida - Dreams of SQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    I see. ID is the only company I could think of that has those drivers....unsure if any other company has them. How's that FL heat/humidity treatin' ya lol?! Been to Orlando a few times. Got to visit the amazing Daytona Beach last year, finally.
    This is what I have...


    As for the heat and humidity... It stinks! Been here in FL since '82 when I was 7, and it still stinks. LOL




  8. #8
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Hurtin' feelings errrday.



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    10,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4616 Post(s)

    Re: 370Z in Central Florida - Dreams of SQ

    That's in the dash right? Terrible place for speaker imaging. But that's not the goal of automakers.

    Ya some people can/cannot handle the FL heat....I could. It's like a giant sauna to me. I'll take it over the cold weather here.



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 comps
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.
    Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

  9. #9
    Chops's Avatar
    Chops is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Na
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

    Re: 370Z in Central Florida - Dreams of SQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    That's in the dash right? Terrible place for speaker imaging. But that's not the goal of automakers.
    It's a better place than nothing. Haha

    I'm just using stock locations, no cutting or fabbing in this car. Also, being fully active and the ability to tweak time alignment, it's not too bad. And all of this tuning is just by ear. I use REW software to measure and tune my home system (which is also fully active via a dbx Driverack Venue 360). One of these days, I'll bring the laptop out to the car and do the same to compare to what the Pioneer will be able to do on its own.




  10. #10
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Hurtin' feelings errrday.



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    10,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4616 Post(s)

    Re: 370Z in Central Florida - Dreams of SQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    It's a better place than nothing. Haha

    I'm just using stock locations, no cutting or fabbing in this car. Also, being fully active and the ability to tweak time alignment, it's not too bad. And all of this tuning is just by ear. I use REW software to measure and tune my home system (which is also fully active via a dbx Driverack Venue 360). One of these days, I'll bring the laptop out to the car and do the same to compare to what the Pioneer will be able to do on its own.
    True...but a lot of sound and imaging is close to the person, not pointed at the windsheild,a-pillar , etc...want it as close to you as possible. Replacing in stock locations may not be good enough. Are you planning on competing?



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 comps
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.
    Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

  11. #11
    Chops's Avatar
    Chops is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Na
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

    Re: 370Z in Central Florida - Dreams of SQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    True...but a lot of sound and imaging is close to the person, not pointed at the windsheild,a-pillar , etc...want it as close to you as possible. Replacing in stock locations may not be good enough. Are you planning on competing?
    No comp. Just for my own pleasure. I'm not going to go crazy with this system. Just simple and reasonably priced... Hopefully.




  12. #12
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Hurtin' feelings errrday.



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    10,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4616 Post(s)

    Re: 370Z in Central Florida - Dreams of SQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    No comp. Just for my own pleasure. I'm not going to go crazy with this system. Just simple and reasonably priced... Hopefully.
    Gotcha. There's a few SQ oriented members on here @LosIsATool is pretty dam good at SQ and can prob direct/help you out. Jeff may be another, but he's a basshead...lol.



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 comps
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.
    Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

  13. #13
    hispls's Avatar
    hispls is online now CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    9,288
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3634 Post(s)

    Re: 370Z in Central Florida - Dreams of SQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    This is what I have...


    As for the heat and humidity... It stinks! Been here in FL since '82 when I was 7, and it still stinks. LOL
    You'll never sound "good" out of those. 3" "full range" drivers might work at very low power/output levels (full range drivers in general is a debate) but trying to overcome the noise floor in a car at highway speeds you won't do much.

    Simple solution is to see if you can find Q-form kick panels for your vehicle, they are very easy to plug and play some proper fronts. Get some mid-tier components or coaxials and call it a day.

    I tried living in Florida for a couple years. Met locals who would just be kicking it in their house with a little fan in the window this time of year. Some said "you get used to it"... my gut told me that was a lie. I was physically sick 8 months out of the year from that jungle heat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post

    Ya some people can/cannot handle the FL heat....I could. It's like a giant sauna to me. I'll take it over the cold weather here.
    That climate is fit for reptiles, not people. I can't even sleep at night if its over 70 degrees, 65 is about perfect. Up here the locals are wearing shorts and flip flops when there's still snow on the ground.




  14. #14
    Chops's Avatar
    Chops is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Na
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

    Re: 370Z in Central Florida - Dreams of SQ

    Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    You'll never sound "good" out of those. 3" "full range" drivers might work at very low power/output levels (full range drivers in general is a debate) but trying to overcome the noise floor in a car at highway speeds you won't do much.

    Simple solution is to see if you can find Q-form kick panels for your vehicle, they are very easy to plug and play some proper fronts. Get some mid-tier components or coaxials and call it a day.
    I wouldn't say that. As it sits right now, I'm getting pretty good sound from this simple system so far. Granted, it's nowhere near the caliber of my active Martin Logan system here at home, but it's not bad either. And it's a heck of a lot better than the factory Bose system.

    I'm just running these little drivers in the dash @ 1.25 kHz, the stock base door speakers from 40 Hz - 1.25 kHz, and the Pioneer head unit. With the little bit of Dynamat, Hushmat and Wave Breaker that I've installed, this little setup does pretty good at highway speeds.

    Of course, I plan on upgrading the drivers in the doors, adding a 5-ch amp, a sub or two, and more dampening. Again, this system isn't for show or comp. It's just for me, but I want it to be flexible and sound good.

    Oh, and I already looked into Q-Logic before. They don't make anything for the 370Z sadly enough.




  15. #15
    hispls's Avatar
    hispls is online now CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    9,288
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3634 Post(s)

    Re: 370Z in Central Florida - Dreams of SQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    I wouldn't say that. As it sits right now, I'm getting pretty good sound from this simple system so far. Granted, it's nowhere near the caliber of my active Martin Logan system here at home, but it's not bad either. And it's a heck of a lot better than the factory Bose system.

    I'm just running these little drivers in the dash @ 1.25 kHz, the stock base door speakers from 40 Hz - 1.25 kHz, and the Pioneer head unit. With the little bit of Dynamat, Hushmat and Wave Breaker that I've installed, this little setup does pretty good at highway speeds.

    Of course, I plan on upgrading the drivers in the doors, adding a 5-ch amp, a sub or two, and more dampening. Again, this system isn't for show or comp. It's just for me, but I want it to be flexible and sound good.

    Oh, and I already looked into Q-Logic before. They don't make anything for the 370Z sadly enough.
    At least consider 3" coaxials for that factory hole? Going without tweeter just seems like the weakest link here.




+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Want to listen to SQ system in central florida
    By TreyE in forum Southeast Region
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-18-2007, 09:22 PM
  2. Any alarm installers in Central Florida?
    By bchandler in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 04:35 PM
  3. anyone with mic in central florida?
    By infinity1412 in forum Car Audio Competition, Shows and Events
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 12:05 AM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum