+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Reload Thread: Hello from an old school car audio girl looking for help.

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    490 Post(s)

Re: Hello from an old school car audio girl looking for help.

Hi Steph it really comes down to your budget,wants ,& needs there's a show in Lancaster next sat the 15th and Moreno Valley 16th you should really attend to see some of the new stuff in action. It might help you make a better decision We could recommend equipment all day to you. But not hearing it in person can make you sceptacle if you have been away as long as you say then most of the new stuff might seem confusing , btw I listen to the same music ,get some demos of other peoples systems because as you know the store displays won't sound the same as installed in a car And bbjeljefe. I've been told the same. I'll be 51 this year and still love my bass and competing ,

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

2. Likes macsdad, tc300 liked this post

stephgirl is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrFoca View Post
    You have one of the original Kicker substations ? with the port that can be removed ? WOW have not seen them in years. Would love to see a picture of that, I remember seeing them with the old trans ana fosgate amps.
    Thanks. First thanks to all so fare that have commented and help.. All this Audio stuff is bringing back memories. I almost forgot a story to share. Now about this comment on my Kicker substation.

My old-er Toyota truck Tacoma x-cab I had was a 1999 and I had a system that had a pair of the original 6 1/2 Substations. Well in 2004 I was involved in a 6 car crash on fwy and stupid person who caused it fled the scene of it. I'll share more of the crash maybe later but, my truck got totaled by my Ins company and it had to be towed off fwy. The tow truck company towed it to there yard and few hours later after all the police interviews and all I finally had a friend take me down to tow yard to get my stuff out. Low and behold my 2 substations were gone. I asked and everyone played dumb and I could not prove anything so I got screwed twice. Accident, now substations gone. So I had to buy a new truck and got a new 2004 that I am still driving now. So when I was designing my system for the truck I was looking for a new pair of the awesome Kicker Substations. Found out no one had them because they had been discontinued over 1 yr before. OH NO So as the girl I am and very resourceful, I looked and looked and then though, maybe Kicker still has a few left over and maybe seating in back of warehouse collecting dust and no one even thinking about them. So I called them and just asked the lady on customer service line if they had any. She said no and that they have been discontinued for over a year. Well can you still check? I'm sorry but they are discontinued. Back and forth. I was nice but firm and then the lady said ok ok. give me your number and I will call the warehouse guys across street to check if any are hiding. Yes you guest it. I got a call next day that they found 6 of them hiding in back of warehouse. I said I will take 2 of them please. Oh and the lady gave me a discounted price. Then a few yrs later I was looking on E-Bay and saw someone was selling a pair on there so I bought them knowing they were hard to find. I just raped them up and stored them in garage till I need them.

Morel to this story is to never give up

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    490 Post(s)

Cool story. I'm kind of the same way in this aspect weather I'm selling or buying I'll be very patient so that I get what I want

ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

neo_styles is online now AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

If your goal is just a great-sounding amp and speaker set, you should be more than well off for under (I think) the $400 mark. You have a really valuable asset in that, if you can get up towards Lancaster (past where the 405 and 5 merge), @Vertex Audio ; does some great deals on new/used gear. Unless his stock has changed a ton, you should be able to snatch up either a Boston Acoustics GT2125 or GT275 which are PHENOMENAL A/B amps for a front stage. They're very transparent and deliver some great, clean sound; plus, they're rated for a distortion of 0.03%, so clean power can still be had at much higher than the rated values. I took one of those GT2125s, bridged it to 2 ohms, and got 1300W out of it before hitting the 1% distortion mark.

As for front stages, best thing I can suggest is start going from shop to shop and listen to what's out there. The real focus to get the most out of your speakers is in installation, really, so I would focus more of my time and attention to learning proper deadening techniques. A properly-treated door can make a WORLD of difference (and is probably why I get such a great sound out of my sub-$100 Incriminator Audio coaxials).

Here's a few sets that have really wowed me over the past few years:

PHD FB Kit 6.1 (www.phd.it)
    Incriminator Audio I65C (Can be had from @denim ; or @Vertex Audio ; )
    JBL P660C or JBL MS-62C (Talk to @trumpet ; . I would suggest the P660C if you want something that punches a little harder or the MS-62C if you want a more laid-back, analogue kind of sound)
    Rainbow SLC 265.25 NG (Made only the way Germans can make speakers...have a quality unique to themselves. Tough as nails to find, though, unless you can find an authorized shop or a used set somewhere like DIYMA. Rainbow Audio USA)

And you've always got SonicElectronix. Kind of the bane of any small outfit's existence, but they buy in bulk, so prices are normally pretty dang low:

Pioneer TS-D1720C (tsd1720c) 6.75" (Oversized 6.5") 2-Way D- (about the only Pioneer set I'd recommend unless you move up to the PRS line)
    RE Audio XXX6.5C 6.5" 2-Way XXX Component Car Speakers (XXX65C)
    Image Dynamics CXS64 v.2 6-1/2" Chameleon Component Speakers System
    Kicker QS65.2 (09QS65.2) 6.5" QS-Series Component Car Speakers (reincarnation of Kicker's SS line. Have NOT heard these personally, though, so I recommend a demo)

That should get you started on the right foot. Just see who has these in stock

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

6. Thanks denim, trumpet thanked for this post
    Likes denim, macsdad, jeffdachef liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    Hi Steph it really comes down to your budget,wants ,& needs there's a show in Lancaster next sat the 15th and Moreno Valley 16th you should really attend to see some of the new stuff in action. It might help you make a better decision We could recommend equipment all day to you. But not hearing it in person can make you sceptacle if you have been away as long as you say then most of the new stuff might seem confusing , btw I listen to the same music ,get some demos of other peoples systems because as you know the store displays won't sound the same as installed in a car And bbjeljefe. I've been told the same. I'll be 51 this year and still love my bass and competing ,
    Thanks It sounds nice but I don't know. I guess I just don't want to spend all day listening to bass. It sounds right that I should go see the setups but, I feel that the systems are set to the individual persons taste or it is a setup by a Manufacture that just wants so show off with a million watts. I did go to SEMA back in 07 and I have seen the setups at LA auto shows in the past. It was cool to see some of the nice cars and sound systems.

I wanted to post here on this forum because I found it last weekend researching online. I read a lot of the posts on here and many of the people on here have been in car audio for a long time and new a lot and had plenty of experience. Everything had changed for me and new brands and so that I never heard of. I felt I could trust a lot of the suggestion on here because many have been into car audio for years. I wanted comments from everyday car audio people that have used this or that brand and new if it was good or not. Or look at this brand because it is decent and has good sound at a fair price. Many of the brands I thought from years back were today not so good.

So to your question on budget. I know a few have asked me that but it is suggestive. I already stated what is in the truck sound system now, and I have said what I would be interested in. I am the type of person that does her research and looks for something good at a fair price. I am not a cheepo person, So I guess I have to see what is out there that is worth looking at in brands and see that they are costing these days. And I don't want to say that, example, I don't want to spend more then say $200 on a 4ch amp and then find a really good say amp at $225. If that was a deal and it was say a really good brand, I would pay the extra $25 to get a really good brand of 4ch amp. So my budget is not set in stone. I may find a good decent quality amp brand for $150 that work for me.

I was just reading the post on the Soundstream amps and what they have become today as per the older amps. So looked on there website and found the reference series amps that everyone said is just as good or better that the old school original. So I looked online and found that the 4.400 was little over $200 I can get it for. Or do i go with this Alpine 4ch amp I found for $129. And I saw a RF for $169 4ch. So I guess I should say I am in the middle of the price range. First is I need to know what is a good brand and what is not from the wonderful people on this forum Then I can eliminate the brands that are not good and narrow down the field, Plus the brands to Just stay away from far away from. And then concentrate on the good stuff. Then I can see what the good brands offer and see what specs will work best for me, and then narrow down more. Then finally get to a point were I can choose what will work best from a few brands and go with one that has the best fair price.

Does that make sense?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks NEO

I will check them out.

I said I do not want to give up my kicker substations. They work well still and they have just enough bass for what I want. I want a system to sound clean and nice and everything working together. I don't want over powered bass and the Kicker substations work well for that small cab area. I also like the fact that they have a flat bottom and will not roll around, then I can just disconnect and remove them if I need to have someone ride in back or I have to put something there temporarily.
    And I don't need a million watts in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    490 Post(s)

I can give you some ideas of product to look at if you like I'll be at the 2 shows next weekend also I've done a couple of installs in trucks like yours in the past not to hard to make them sound good with the right equipment

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bomber Z is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here are some links to some of the venders I have been looking at. Also check the supporting venders on the site. Car Audio/Video - Xplicit Audio also EMF Audio formerly SundownOnly.com I'm doing the same of updating my system. This is one thing I will never give in. Maybe in my 40's but I still like it loud. Wish you all the luck finding what you need. Some good people on here so I'm sure you will.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber Z View Post
    Here are some links to some of the venders I have been looking at. Also check the supporting venders on the site. Car Audio/Video - Xplicit Audio also EMF Audio formerly SundownOnly.com I'm doing the same of updating my system. This is one thing I will never give in. Maybe in my 40's but I still like it loud. Wish you all the luck finding what you need. Some good people on here so I'm sure you will.

Yes there are good people on here. That why i asked my question on this forum.[COLOR="Silver"]

[

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry for the extra posts Computer issues I guess

tc300 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Grab some ppi black ice amps!! VERY nice for the price and they are being discontinued right now... Dirt cheap...

If you're looking for another mono amp, audio technix 400.1 is on eBay for a FANTASTIC PRICE!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast