+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: New Member in need of help getting started.

silentbob417 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New Member in need of help getting started.

Hello, I'm Kevin, I've done car audio installs in the past on my old cars a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL, and a 2003 Nissan Altima. I got a 2011 Nissan Rogue last year, and I have been suffering through stock audio for too long and would like to upgrade. However, I need a lot of help with picking out equipment as that seems to be my weak point.

I would like to replace the head unit and speakers, and add sound proofing and a subwoofer. I know the sizes I just don't know what to get, I come from the computer world and know that companies advertise one thing but what you get is completely different.

Any input and help would be appreciated and I would be forever grateful in getting me back into a passion of mine.

jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    652 Post(s)

Re: New Member in need of help getting started.

Welcome to the forums, this is definitely the place for help!

01 Lincoln Continental - Mary

Singer | Tantric Sounds | Sky High | Powerware | Ampere Audio | CDT

2 Tantric HDD 12s
    Ampere Audio 3800.1D at .35 daily
    275a Singer Alternator, 2 runs SHCA 1/0 positive, 2 runs SHCA 1/0 negative, couple of batteries
    Tantric Sounds "GatorSkin" 200mil and MurderMat 80mil throughout

resonate is offline Bonafide MAFer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    820 Post(s)

For sure man, start asking away if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by T.I.K. View Post
    Careful, by those definitions Spider Monkey is a contributing member, I don't think he even knows what a subwoofer is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Truman View Post
    Thanks quackhead. Your the only person who agrees with me. Jesus Christ I have like 40 post and I've been called a ******* like 37 times

mylows10 is offline Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5117 Post(s)

First off welcome. What's your goals here ? Sq. SQL. Or spl ? Also budget ?

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 03 Mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I listen to a wide range of music from heavy rock (kill switch engage/disturbed,etc) to techno and rap as well as softer acoustic. So I need speakers and a sub to handle everything from a rapid heavy dumb hit, to deep bass drops, and handle the more subtile pluck and thump from an acoustic guitar. My current speakers crackle and sound like they've blown whenever I listen to anything with anything in a higher decibel level like a woman singing which is driving me nuts. My car can handle 6x9" in the front doors and 6.5" in the rear doors (seems backwards to all previous installs but this is correct) and I have seen in another forum someone install a shallow mount subwoofer in a custom box they built to go between the spare tire and the floor in the rear of the nissan rogue.

I also would like to power everything with as few amps as possible, I have two amps from previous installs however I'm sure their quality is less than great (one being a 1000 watt sony amplifier I purchased from walmart 6 years ago and the other a JVC amp I received for my first car 8 years ago.)

I do not have a budget as of now as i'm researching to figure out how much it is going to cost yet, however i've been looking at spending less than $100-150 per set of speakers and would love to keep the budget for speakers and amp for them under $500 if possible so I could get that around christmas. I can get head units easily enough but would love input since I haven't gotten a new head unit in around 6 years.

I was looking at

for the front speakers Amazon.com: Kicker 40CS6934 CS-Series Coaxial Speakers - Pair (Black): Car Electronics

for the rear speakers http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B9H8L4K/...I3O5MA6PJP5A72

but after reading the intro to new users I realized that there are companies who seem like they have great products but they're just a name delivering an inferior product so I was looking for guidance as to good speakers.

I am a bit of an audiophile, I can't stand having my music below 320 kbps bit rate at a lowest, trying for cd - vinyl quality whenever possible so I care about that, but also want a system that has loud bass and you feel it hit.

ptcruiser07 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

u will get a diff answer from every person on here.. many good brands just gota pick ya price range for each peace u need

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1992 Post(s)

For the most part, you won't find really high quality equipment on Amazon (apart from possibly the head unit). My .02$ is if you can fabricate something to mount a good set of 6" componets in the 6X9 holes up front and rip the rears out altogether you will do better than just trying to fill all the holes for a few hundred bucks.

8. Likes basswiigee liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    For the most part, you won't find really high quality equipment on Amazon (apart from possibly the head unit). My .02$ is if you can fabricate something to mount a good set of 6" componets in the 6X9 holes up front and rip the rears out altogether you will do better than just trying to fill all the holes for a few hundred bucks.

sundown AQ XXX RF ORION can all be found on amazon.

basswiigee is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1079 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ptcruiser07 View Post
    yeah but what models??? wow I take that back they are on there, but also a 100.00 above retail !!!!! and whats triple xxx? the brand if so complete garbage, and the re xxx sub has went ka put since 2006... orion is just there, older stuff alot better but new stuff is ok but not impressive, RF powerhouse powerhogs.... but still good just not for the price.... AQ i love it but thats probably cuz i'm running it awesome for the price but buy from them like i said my sub is like a 100 and some change more on amazon than what it is straight from AQ, sundown, there is so much floating on the forums and deals through sundown i can't ever imagine paying retail for it.....

H.U. - Pioneer P7200HD
    Fronts - Pioneer premier TS-C720PRS
    Rear - Pioneer TS-D6902R
    Amp - kx2500.1
    Sub - AQ HDC4 12
    just a lil' slam for now.... tuned to 33hz!!!!!

complete budget system under 400.00... (kenwoods)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtyFmWXI94U&list=LLCQ1MqkfSOcRep6vDFWsWxg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

I just had to point out they do have some decent brands.. also I got my AQ2200 on there, shoulda waited for the blk Friday sale on there site tho

basswiigee is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1079 Post(s)

I just had to point out they do have some decent brands.. also I got my AQ2200 on there, shoulda waited for the blk Friday sale on there site tho
    yeah its been awhile since i've checked em out they definitely up'd their game.....

H.U. - Pioneer P7200HD
    Fronts - Pioneer premier TS-C720PRS
    Rear - Pioneer TS-D6902R
    Amp - kx2500.1
    Sub - AQ HDC4 12
    just a lil' slam for now.... tuned to 33hz!!!!!

complete budget system under 400.00... (kenwoods)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtyFmWXI94U&list=LLCQ1MqkfSOcRep6vDFWsWxg

bradl79 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    353 Post(s)

It's very addicting so u may want to go with better speakers in the front if u want good sound quality I would say around 200-300. I made the mistake of getting ok speaks for 100.00 and then still upgraded so should have gone higher quality to start with. Check with people on here for speakers u can get used ones at a good price and amps too if i plan on amping if u do not want to amp then go with the kickers

Head Unit - Clarion NX702 w/Backup Cam
    JBL MS-8 DSP
    Amp 1 - Cadence ZRS C9 (Fronts/Rears)
    Amp 2 - MB Quart 600.4 (Subs)
    Fronts - CDT HD-6 (Mids) DRT 26s (Tweeters)
    Rear - CDT HD-M6+ (MidBass)(Sealed in Custom boxes)
    Sub - Sealed in Custom Box - 12" Kenwood KFC-W3013PS
    Big 3 Upgrade - 1/0 Gauge Sky High Cable (pacustomz)
    RCA's - Stinger 4000 series 4ch
    Deadener - GTMAT Pro 50mil (4 Doors Full Coverage and Trunk)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I want to amp my speakers, I would like to have both front and rear speakers as I do have people in the back from time to time. I guess my problem is I don't know most of the brands you guys are talking about, in the past i've used alpine and kenwood speakers and they've been okay but I was let down by the performance of them. I want speakers that are not just loud but also clear. Like I stated I listen to a wide range of music so I need speakers that are good overall. I would prefer not to do too much modification to my car. ptcruiser07 mentioned sundown so I was looking at the sundown neopro v2 6.5" but their site says they run at 180w and all the sites which sell them say the run at 100w, so i'm not sure what to make of that. I also looked into Crescendo PWX-6's which are cheap and loud but i'm not sure if they are good quality speakers, every setup I saw was people with a whole bunch of them in each door. I'm looking for a simple setup of 2 speakers up front one in each door and 2 in the rear doors 1 in each door and then a shallow mount subwoofer. The speakers running off of an amp and then a mono block for the subwoofer

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1992 Post(s)

For each decent thing on there, you'll find 100 complete junk. The sort of person savvy enough to know which is worth buying should be clever enough to buy for less elsewhere unless they're just trying to burn up an Amazon gift card or something.

Quote Originally Posted by basswiigee View Post
    yeah but what models??? wow I take that back they are on there, but also a 100.00 above retail !!!!! and whats triple xxx? the brand if so complete garbage, and the re xxx sub has went ka put since 2006... orion is just there, older stuff alot better but new stuff is ok but not impressive, RF powerhouse powerhogs.... but still good just not for the price.... AQ i love it but thats probably cuz i'm running it awesome for the price but buy from them like i said my sub is like a 100 and some change more on amazon than what it is straight from AQ, sundown, there is so much floating on the forums and deals through sundown i can't ever imagine paying retail for it.....
    XXX is pretty nice still IMO, you just need to understand intended application.

16. Likes basswiigee liked this post
+ Reply to Thread