+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Reload Thread: Go Deeper

  1. #1
    TheBassDr's Avatar
    TheBassDr is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Icon14 Go Deeper

    I have 2 10" Premier subwoofers w/ 350w RMS and i'm looking to improve the <50hz response. The Vb is 4.16 cubic feet and the port is a "T" shape, exiting in the center of the enclosure, a little odd to me and I have no clue what it is tuned to.
    Possible solutions I have heard/thought of:
    Build a differently tuned box
    More power
    "Beefier" speakers (Though these are plenty powerful for my set up)

    So, what is/are the best solution(s)?







  2. #2
    bradl79's Avatar
    bradl79 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    North Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    828
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Go Deeper

    Thats what she... oh wait u r talking about subs



    Head Unit - Clarion NX702 w/Backup Cam
    Amp 1 - Cadence ZRS C9 (Fronts/Rears)
    Amp 2 - MB Quart 600.4 (Subs)
    Fronts - CDT CL-62 Components w/WS100i Imaging Tweeters
    Rears - CDT HD-M6+ (Sealed in Custom boxes)
    Sub - Sealed in Custom Box - 10" Rockford Fosgate R2D2-10
    Big 3 Upgrade - 1/0 Gauge Sky High Cable (pacustomz)
    RCA's - Stinger 4000 series 4ch
    Deadener - GTMAT Pro 50mil (4 Doors Full Coverage and Trunk)

  3. Dislikes TheBassDr disliked this post
  4. #3
    Slo_Ride's Avatar
    Slo_Ride is offline Midnight Rider



    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    7,758
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Go Deeper

    Quote Originally Posted by bradl79 View Post
    Thats what she.
    beat me to it



    Refs = PapaGeno21, Goindef154, 92c1v1c, Disarmer, chemmins, 97maxima, kroid777, ithertz, basscort2009, hunterw, mar08052, appleyard, millimac247, jonny101abc, sundownz, cranberryyumyum, mig139, daboyfrumdabx, skateguy92, basebalz13.

  5. Dislikes TheBassDr disliked this post
  6. #4
    bbeljefe's Avatar
    bbeljefe is online now Supporting Vendor bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    bbeljefe is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    1,558
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Go Deeper

    Put em in a transmission line. They'll go low.




  7. #5
    garychoffmann's Avatar
    garychoffmann is online now CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Go Deeper

    Just work with what the lord blessed you with




  8. Likes 05fronty liked this post
    Dislikes TheBassDr disliked this post
  9. #6
    Ahmed Johnson's Avatar
    Ahmed Johnson is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    E-town in the burbs now.
    Posts
    373
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Go Deeper

    If you can't go deep, do it in the butt. That's what some of these other guys do when they come up short.




  10. Likes Nutdawg651 liked this post
    Dislikes TheBassDr disliked this post
  11. #7
    TheBassDr's Avatar
    TheBassDr is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Go Deeper

    Quote Originally Posted by bbeljefe View Post
    Put em in a transmission line. They'll go low.
    I don't understand what you mean, I only know transmission line as coaxial cable and such.




  12. Dislikes Ahmed Johnson, 05fronty disliked this post
  13. #8
    bbeljefe's Avatar
    bbeljefe is online now Supporting Vendor bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    bbeljefe is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    1,558
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Go Deeper

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBassDr View Post
    I don't understand what you mean, I only know transmission line as coaxial cable and such.
    A transmission line is a type of enclosure. Specifically, a quarter wave transmission line or, t-line. They're remarkably simple boxes to design but they take up a lot of space. The benefits are that they don't suffer from port noise like a ported box but they do reach low notes like no ported box can. A t-line will usually play a full octave below tuning, which is usually the Fs of the driver. So for a couple of tens with an Fs of 32 hz, in a t-line they would play well below anything you'll find in most music and do it efficiently enough to hear or feel it well.

    Here are a couple t-lines I've built. One with a ten.

    And here's a website that explains transmission line theory pretty well.

    If you want to build one, I'll be happy to answer any questions you have. And if I don't know the answer, I'll make up a cool story that makes it seem like I do. ;-)




  14. Likes TheBassDr, Buck liked this post
  15. #9
    Buck's Avatar
    Buck is offline always low Buck is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    Buck is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    18,351
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)

    Re: Go Deeper

    May be your box tuning, is it a pre-fab? Where did you get your box?



    ***ONLY TAKING IN BOX BUILDS ATM***
    **We do accept full car builds, as in full installs**
    Find us on Facebook and Instagram!

    Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow
    In Nashville? Me too! Pm me and come hangout!

  16. Likes TheBassDr liked this post
  17. #10
    TheBassDr's Avatar
    TheBassDr is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Go Deeper

    Quote Originally Posted by bbeljefe View Post
    A transmission line is a type of enclosure. Specifically, a quarter wave transmission line or, t-line. They're remarkably simple boxes to design but they take up a lot of space. The benefits are that they don't suffer from port noise like a ported box but they do reach low notes like no ported box can. A t-line will usually play a full octave below tuning, which is usually the Fs of the driver. So for a couple of tens with an Fs of 32 hz, in a t-line they would play well below anything you'll find in most music and do it efficiently enough to hear or feel it well.

    Here are a couple t-lines I've built. One with a ten.

    And here's a website that explains transmission line theory pretty well.

    If you want to build one, I'll be happy to answer any questions you have. And if I don't know the answer, I'll make up a cool story that makes it seem like I do. ;-)
    At any rate it looks like an interesting build and i'd like to give it a go just for experience sake. I'll get with you after I measure my trunk.




  18. #11
    TheBassDr's Avatar
    TheBassDr is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Go Deeper

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    May be your box tuning, is it a pre-fab? Where did you get your box?
    The box is tuned but i'm not sure what to, it was made by a local shop: Cartunes in Utah. I'm thinking it's a box problem primarily.




  19. #12
    TheBassDr's Avatar
    TheBassDr is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Icon14 Re: Go Deeper

    More power is helping a little bit with the lower end response due to bridging the amplifier though I blew a fuse (both the 30amp's actually). What are some advantages & disadvantages to different enclosures? e.g. open air, infinite baffle, bass reflex, bandpass, transmission line, etc...




  20. #13
    bbeljefe's Avatar
    bbeljefe is online now Supporting Vendor bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    bbeljefe is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    1,558
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Go Deeper

    With IB and t-line boxes, you need a sub with low compliance, as there is little to no acoustical suspension for the driver. The benefit is wider bandwidth with no port noise. Bass reflex allows for acoustical gain but can suffer from port noise and the danger of unloading below Fs and Fb. Bandpass allows for even more acoustical gain than bass reflex but they roll off steeper and have a narrow bandwidth. Bandpass boxes are great for getting loud at a certain frequency but aren't usually good for sound quality. Also, it's difficult to hear a woofer bottom out when it's inside a box that's inside a box, so when that happens, the results aren't often noticed until the smoke leaves the port(s). Sealed boxes provide excellent acoustical suspension and increased power handling for the driver and they provide tight, clean bass but they do not create any acoustical gain so they're not good for SPL.




  21. Thanks TheBassDr thanked for this post
    Likes TheBassDr, Villainstone liked this post
  22. #14
    TheBassDr's Avatar
    TheBassDr is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Go Deeper

    Quote Originally Posted by bbeljefe View Post
    With IB and t-line boxes, you need a sub with low compliance, as there is little to no acoustical suspension for the driver. The benefit is wider bandwidth with no port noise. Bass reflex allows for acoustical gain but can suffer from port noise and the danger of unloading below Fs and Fb. Bandpass allows for even more acoustical gain than bass reflex but they roll off steeper and have a narrow bandwidth. Bandpass boxes are great for getting loud at a certain frequency but aren't usually good for sound quality. Also, it's difficult to hear a woofer bottom out when it's inside a box that's inside a box, so when that happens, the results aren't often noticed until the smoke leaves the port(s). Sealed boxes provide excellent acoustical suspension and increased power handling for the driver and they provide tight, clean bass but they do not create any acoustical gain so they're not good for SPL.
    Good stuff, thank you very much. I think the t-line will be a great choice for my setup and sound goals. I'm not sure of my subwoofer's Cms, but they seem loose to me (probably a horrible, horrible thing to base my build on but i'm not really concerned, I have two to blow through haha).




  23. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Go Deeper

    its definitely the box. I've designed 3 of my own boxes and they are all tuned a little bit differently. the best way to find out what your box is tuned to is to burn a disc that plays different hz tones and listen for which one plays the loudest. Obviously keep the volume and everything else the same for all the tones.




    Your Car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book "Moog"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is this going to hit hard enough?
    By JPage85 in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-16-2002, 07:34 AM
  2. Not sure what to go with
    By smp013 in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2001, 10:53 PM
  3. need help deciding which direction to go
    By DaStonedSmurf in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2001, 07:35 PM
  4. What subs do i go with now that i have this amp?
    By <Runninhorn> in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-19-2001, 02:10 PM
  5. How to make money go all the way!
    By jrmax in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-16-2001, 08:02 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum