Closed Thread

Reload Thread: New member... Considering all JL system?

JTriz631 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon6 New member... Considering all JL system?

Hi I'm Triz

Previous setup was in a 89 Toyota MR2
    Alpine Ida-x100
    4" kicker coaxials (not amped)
    Kicker zx400.1
    Kicker 10" cvt
    That's it.

Blew that car up, boUght a 05 Infiniti g35 coupe. Looking to add dd source unit, amp(s), woofer and component speakers to it.

I still have my zx400.1 (449 watts rms) and originally planned on using it to power whichever 10 or 12 woofer I choose for my new system but wasn't intrigued by any of the subs that I found would match up with it

So now I'm thinking a single 10" or 12" w6. I would power it with a jl xd600/1. I like the jl amps because they are small and I need to conserve all the space I can. Also 1.2^3 should be enough space for the w6 sealed right?

For a second amp to Power my component speakers im considering jl jx 360/4

I also thought about a 5 channel amp

Then as far as components, I have no idea where I'd like to start. I like the idea of 6.5" jl components just to match the rest of the system, but am definitely not opposed to choosing a better sounding pair in my price range (~$250) I've heard good things about rainbow, cdt, image dynamics, infinity and Boston acoustics, any recommendations?

Head Unit im going with Pioneer AVH-8400. I want this to be a system with powerful DEEP LOW BASS but I also want it to sound very CLEAN with crisp highs and not that muddy bass when the music starts getting fast. My budget is ~$2000 for everything (wires, enclosure, etc incl) and then whatever I have to pay to get it all professionally installed (less than $300?)

My listening preferences are RAP AND HIP HOP (70% of the time) then Old School/Current Rock, Old School/New R&B. Jazz, Pop and then the Electronica/House/Dubstep stuff (less than 2% of the time) in that order. So honestly I lsiten to a little bit of everything

I also have to spend $330 on the JDM Nissasn Double DIn Dash Kit for this car to get rid of the crappy BOSE head unit.

Update so all said my budget is:
    HU: 2012 PIONEER AVH-P8400BH ($468)

WOOFER: 10 or 12" w6 ($330-$380)
    enclosure: Zenclosures 1.2^3" sealed ensclosure ($180 shipped)
    http://www.zenclosures.com/Infiniti-...-p/g35c112.htm

Amps:
    JL audio xd600/1 ($289)
    jl audiox jx360/4 ($154)

6.5" front component speakers: ???

MISC:
    steering wheel controls ($60)
    dash kit $330
    wiring $90 (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20609PK...4.html?tp=1469 thisll do the job for two amps right?)

If I choose to go with the 12" w6 that puts me at $1,951 spent with LITTLE IN my budget for speakers, but I can go over a bit so say i have $250 to $300 MAX to spend on speakers what are some noteworthy ones below that price range that match up with the JX360/4?
    Last edited by JTriz631; 11-19-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: added budget

DjDan101 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: New member... Considering all JL system?

JL is very well known for quality equipment, but is also well known for ridiculously high prices. I have JL Audio subs that I've had for 3 years and are Just 12w1v2, so they are the bottom of the barrel. They are still going strong. You can get just as good of equipment for less, but JL is for sure built to last. If you can afford it, go for it!

3. Thanks JTriz631 thanked for this post
    DjDan101 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also, I've heard good things about Boston. I've also heard a lot about the Zeus series. Focal is also considered high-quality. All of these are pretty expensive, though.

5. Thanks JTriz631 thanked for this post
    itsblown is offline why is there smoke?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Jl makes quality equipment, but for the same price you pay for it, you could purchase much higher quality equipment.

7. Thanks JTriz631 thanked for this post
    Likes jungstah liked this post
    cdc351jeferson is offline Premium Member cdc351jeferson is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

jl makes good stuff but unless you get a steal on the deal i would look into other products. can get louder and sound better and possibly last longer with less money american bass, dc, sundown, incriminator etc.

headunit : Sony xab-601bt
    fronts: infinity kappa 60.9's
    box : Bill Fitzmaurice Truck tuba DD 600series 10"
    amp: Kicker zx500.1
    REFS: Bradfordp2612 , Double 07 , NASTY08IMPALA , mzlady

9. Thanks JTriz631 thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cdc351jeferson View Post
    jl makes good stuff but unless you get a steal on the deal i would look into other products. can get louder and sound better and possibly last longer with less money american bass, dc, sundown, incriminator etc.
    Someone else recommended me the Sundown SA series? I asked my local installer and his reply was "never heard of 'em and I been in the game 13 years" (verbatim) i understand it may be a ploy to push his products off HIS shelves so im definitely open to other opinions. It just seems that recently here Ive become infatuated with the w6.

I hear its a very good SQ woofer (true/false?) i also hear it can still get low and give you that "beat down the block" BASS (true/false?) what are some woofer + small amps in my price range offer that same capability?

I also listened to the JL w3, w6 and alpine type S" and type R" in store and was MOST impressed by the w6

jungstah is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

w6 is a good sq driver. it can get loud. you will also pay an arseload for it. sundown sa's can be very musical as well if you put em in the right box. bang:buck ratio goes to the SA

Pioneer AVH-P2400BT
    Stock Pioneer 4" components
    Hifonics Brutus BRZ1700.1D
    Two SA-12's
    cruddy prefab ported box----new box otw

12. Thanks JTriz631 thanked for this post
    pinoy2o9 is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

i just got rid of my Jdm 05-06 DD stereo kit on ebay for $200 ship'd. If only i new u needed one.
    They are the best. Only thing ur going to have to do is make ur own face plate.

2000 Honda Accord coupe *slow build........* KEEP CALM & VAPE ON
    HU: Pioneer SPA-DA210
    F Stage: Soundqubed QP-MR6.5
    R Stage: RE Audio XXX12 V2D4
    Box: 2.5cubic ft @32
    Amps: Arc Audio KS300.2 & Crossfire XP2400D
    Wiring: Execution Audio 1/0 wire
    Electrical: Big 3 upgrade, Optima d34 yellow top, Powermax 200Amp alt

14. Thanks JTriz631 thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pinoy2o9 View Post
    i just got rid of my Jdm 05-06 DD stereo kit on ebay for $200 ship'd. If only i new u needed one.
    They are the best. Only thing ur going to have to do is make ur own face plate.
    I missed out man! And yea its lame you have to pay so much for it but the stock aluminum look with the DD HU is so much better than the cheesy looking painted plastic metra gives you for almost just as much money

Update so all said my budget is:
    HU: 2012 PIONEER AVH-P8400BH ($468)
    WOOFER: 10 or 12" w6 ($330-$380)
    enclosure: Zenclosures 1.2^3" sealed ensclosure ($180 shipped)
    http://www.zenclosures.com/Infiniti-...-p/g35c112.htm
    Amps:
    JL audio xd600/1 ($289)
    jl audiox jx360/4 ($154)
    6.5" front component speakers: ???
    MISC:
    steering wheel controls ($60)
    dash kit $330
    wiring $90 (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20609PK...4.html?tp=1469 thisll do the job for two amps right?)

If I choose to go with the 12" w6 that puts me at $1,951 spent with LITTLE IN my budget for speakers, but I can go over a bit so say i have $250 to $300 MAX to spend on speakers what are some noteworthy ones below that price range that match up with the JX360/4?

cdc351jeferson is offline Premium Member cdc351jeferson is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JTriz631 View Post
    Someone else recommended me the Sundown SA series? I asked my local installer and his reply was "never heard of 'em and I been in the game 13 years" (verbatim) i understand it may be a ploy to push his products off HIS shelves so im definitely open to other opinions. It just seems that recently here Ive become infatuated with the w6.

I hear its a very good SQ woofer (true/false?) i also hear it can still get low and give you that "beat down the block" BASS (true/false?) what are some woofer + small amps in my price range offer that same capability?

I also listened to the JL w3, w6 and alpine type S" and type R" in store and was MOST impressed by the w6
    dc also makes good sq subs that get loud . look into that. yes the jls get loud and sound good but so do alot of others . alot of other brands will get louder and sound just as good as the w6 for alot less money . look into the SA sundowns or the DC lvl3's maybe around your budget . you installer hasnt heard of them because they are internet brands and also cause he prolly thinks jl and kicker are the best stuff made

headunit : Sony xab-601bt
    fronts: infinity kappa 60.9's
    box : Bill Fitzmaurice Truck tuba DD 600series 10"
    amp: Kicker zx500.1
    REFS: Bradfordp2612 , Double 07 , NASTY08IMPALA , mzlady

17. Thanks JTriz631 thanked for this post
    DDtC is online now High Output SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Your installer has never heard of sundown. They normally only know big name brands and will talk down what they don't sell.
    The W6 is one of the top SOUND QUALITY subs. It's not a low end monster and don't get very loud. It's designed to play flat and it does it well if you don't buy retail or anywhere close to it.
    The XD line is a good amp if you need to save every inch possible. If not pass on it. The JX amp is rebadged, paying for a name.

• 2010 Scion tC
    • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    • JL 450/4v2 Active (Mid range, tweeters) JL 300/2v2 (Mid bass) DD M4(Subs)
    • Hertz HV 165XL
    • Hertz HT28
    • JL ZR800
    • 2 x DD 9512i
    • Singer 300 amp 15.1v bypass, 3 XS D3400s
    • Viper 5701 with Smart Start

19. Thanks JTriz631 thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I told him I wanted a W6 he tried to steer me to a Alpine Type S (he carries both) wtf??? doesnt the w6 cost like twice as much! whats a sub that sounds good sealed in a 1.2^3" enclosure? and when I did my last install he actually tried to steer me away from kicker (but he had just stopped being an authorized dealer of them that year)

Quote Originally Posted by DCtC View Post
    Your installer has never heard of sundown. They normally only know big name brands and will talk down what they don't sell.
    The W6 is one of the top SOUND QUALITY subs. It's not a low end monster and don't get very loud. It's designed to play flat and it does it well if you don't buy retail or anywhere close to it.
    The XD line is a good amp if you need to save every inch possible. If not pass on it. The JX amp is rebadged, paying for a name.
    what are some good SMALL 2/4 channel amps to run a pair of 6.5" components up front? Under $200?

Montana is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JTriz631 View Post
    Someone else recommended me the Sundown SA series? I asked my local installer and his reply was "never heard of 'em and I been in the game 13 years" (verbatim)

My local car audio shop said the same thing.. expect he was "in the game for 16 years"

I bought SA anyway, couldn't be happier.. unless I had NSv.3

Better-Action is offline give me a reach around

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I wouldn't recommended JL. They are a quality product but cost at least double what they should, I belive. You can get the same quality for much much cheaper. Also don't take any advice from somebody trying to sell you something, they have an agenda and will be biased more times than not.

I would check out the recommendations that were already given in this thread. You don't seem very informed on things, but that is okay, because these guys will help you..... and they aren't trying to push an agenda so your much safer taking some pointers from around here.

Closed Thread