67 chevelle is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys - classic car guy here

Hello guys. I've been looking around the site and the web in general as I want to upgrade the sound in my '67 Chevelle. So many challenges to doing that.

My car is a non-AC car with buckets and center console that currently has an original single dash speaker (4x6 I think) and 2 - 6x9's (Sony Explod) that the previous owner mounted in the rear package tray. Radio is a Ken Harrison unit that somewhat maintains the look of the original and gives me a rear aux input. Sound ranges from horrible from the radio itself to dismal from my iPod.

Issues are that I don't want to stray too far from a stock look on the car. On-line Chevelle restoration shops all carry kick panels which incorporate a very shallow, crappy 6.5 speaker which are a direct bolt in, however when building these out for a decent 6.5 component speaker they get in the way of the emergency brake pedal. Some guys have cut the e-brake lever, put a spacer on it (or just bent it) to shift it toward the passenger side and then rewelded it. Not ideal.

Still trying to figure it all out but ultimately would like to either replace or remove the dash speaker and 6x9's, somehow fit in 6.5 components and tweeters (HAT imagines or clarius?), get a decent head unit (Pioneer DEH80PRS?) housed in the glovebox and put a sub(s) (Morel ultimo SC?) and amp(s) in the trunk. Probably remove the current radio and put a blank dash plate over where it resided.

The music I listen to most frequently is classic rock, jazz and classical music with no rap, hip hop, dubstep or country.

Also the motor on the car is a fairly loud Chevy 350 with dart 2 heads, headers, Holley 750 double pumper, street dominator intake, moderate cam, hooked to a turbo 350 pushing around 425 ponies so sound deadening is going to be a must to overcome some of that.

Anyway, that's the quandary for the moment.

Kangaroux is offline I put on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Hey guys - classic car guy here

Welcome, looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you. Glad you came here first before attempting to do it all yourself, though

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep nice to see guys coming here and asking questions about what to buy not did I make a mistake on what I just bought lol... Pics of car?

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pics of said car please???

Your goal is to have it look stock or be able to return it to stock condition? I've seen/heard some good things done with 4" mids and tweets done up into front pilars. Personally I'd get a strong midbass 6X9 in the dash location (tang band makes a 6X9 woofer), run that mono and do some 4" and tweets in the pilars for stereo separation. Below 200hz sound becomes pretty non-localized and it might fill in pretty nice.

Also if you get the custom kicks, you might consider instead of a shoddily built 6", cut it out for 5 1/4 and perhaps you can get a better quality one in there. Head unit in the glove box is very popular amongst classic car restorations. Not sure if there's something with steering wheel control as an add-on but that would be the simplest way, to have it useable when driving.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My pillars are solid steel so not going to do much with those. I'd like to keep the stock interior look as much as I can so those kick panels were one way of doing that. The shop would reinforce those and do some type of buildup on them, placed strategically so as to miss the e-brake pedal and direct them at the occupants. The speakers you get with the kicks would be thrown out and a better 6.5 put in, or a 5.25 if the 6.5's won't fit. Given the obstacles to overcome I have low expectations, but anything will sound better than what I have in there now.

I added a couple of pics of the car to my gallery but it said a moderator would have to approve them before they hit officially. I will try and post a couple here as attachments but not sure it it will work or not. Car is 2 tone - PPG oh so orange luminescent with pearl on the sides and black on the trunk, hood and roof. When approaching the car from the front or back it looks like a black car until you get at least a partial side view. The paint was crazy pricey but it looks awesome.
    Hey guys - classic car guy here-11222_lr_z_small.jpgHey guys - classic car guy here-12055_lr_z_small.jpg

skitzafit is offline AscendantAudioAtlas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to Caraudio.com

05fronty is offline SALT PETER

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welcome and nice ride

bought from ridinhi,vitveet,dbr,sicaudio and 99grandprixgt, and more ........... sold to player3,foomasta69, pitbull, brodiesel and dragnix 12887 traded with louisiana crx

"noobs that come in the dome will get gang raped!"
    nothing but a stock fosgate system with gps and back up camera lol
    2012 nissan sentra spec v with some goodies cumming though

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 05fronty View Post
    welcome and nice ride
    Thanks. I waited a LONG time to get her. She's an old girl but still a headturner.

Went to a local place (Santa Fe Auto Sound) and listened to the imagine 6.5's and tweets (mounted as components) yesterday. They mostly have JL Audio stuff and literally just signed up with HAT a week ago. Out of listening to multiple JL 6.5's we liked the Imagines best and they were the least expensive speakers we listened to.

Question: If we are able to install the 6.5's in the kicks and replace the current 6x9's in the rear package tray with the imagine 6x9's can/should I run the rear speakers off just the head unit (80PRS?) power? If so I think I'd just need a a 2 channel amp (100 - 150 watt x 2 @ 4 ohm) for the kicks as I'd probably have the 6.5's mounted coaxially. Sound right?

Closed Thread