Closed Thread

Reload Thread: giving focal the boot?

miltonhunter is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

giving focal the boot?

howdy im new here and i need alit help with replacing my focal k2p 6.5 i havent had them long,but long enough to know their not what im looking for.i live in bfe and nobody sales anything that im looking for around here.the focals are great for some music but not for the hard southern rock,blues and country that im pumpin out,ive got an audison vrx 400 i love it but its made to help where most speakers lack and the focals are made to help out with mids,booth of them together is to much mid and harsh highs.i need somthine thats gona hold power with some more low end,was thinking of boston z or pro ive had some of their stuff before but i want to get everything i can out of my audison.any thoughts?

denim is offline SSAudio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Re: giving focal the boot?

Welcome to CA.com.

CarAudio.com mod(original)

sqguy is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by miltonhunter View Post
    howdy im new here and i need alit help with replacing my focal k2p 6.5 i havent had them long,but long enough to know their not what im looking for.i live in bfe and nobody sales anything that im looking for around here.the focals are great for some music but not for the hard southern rock,blues and country that im pumpin out,ive got an audison vrx 400 i love it but its made to help where most speakers lack and the focals are made to help out with mids,booth of them together is to much mid and harsh highs.i need somthine thats gona hold power with some more low end,was thinking of boston z or pro ive had some of their stuff before but i want to get everything i can out of my audison.any thoughts?
    If you want to replace them with the best available, go find the Blues Car Audio speakers by Linear Power, I heard them at USACi Finals and they were blowing everyone away for the way they sounded. They took home like 8 awards and two world championships and blew away at least three past world champion vehicles using the Focal equipment. The cars that got beat were built by one of the biggest SQ champions ever with over 24 world SQ titles.

You don't have to have a bunch of processing or time alignment to make the Blues stuff work, the guys that entered had their vehicles on display and anyone was welcome to listen, and I tell you they had NO processing in any of them and the eqs were set flat in the cars too. This is the best sounding stuff I ever heard, and I got to hear the Focal, and Hybrid systems there too. None of them came clsoe to the sound of the Blues and Linear Power equipment. It is amazing the imaging and stage as well as the natural dynamic sound they get from the Linear Power amps and the Blues speakers.

It's unbelievable the price of these systems too, I asked them what they had in their systems money wise and the price tag on all 6 of the vehicles they had there were like 3000-6000.00 in each vehicle. The focal guys had every kind of processor and DTA in their systems and mutiple 5 inch Focal subs and 3 way systems with price tags in the 40-80k range and these Blues guys beat them with a two way 6.5 inch component set and one or two 8 or 10 inch subs and a couple of two channel amps.

This stuff makes music fun and affordable again!

sqguy is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh yeah, check this out, I looked up the website and looked at the speakers, the 6.5 shows a spec of 41 Hz as it's Fs but if you look at the LMS graphs the impedance curve shows the 6.5 in the component set goes down to 35-36 Hz at it's low frequency peak on the graph. I called and asked the guy at Linear about them and he said the power handling was 175watts RMS and the Fs was rated at 41 Hz but both figures were conservative and handled a little more pwoer and went a little lower than they actually state. Anyway that is around twice as low a Fs as a Focal 6.5.

I did have one of the Blues guys play a tone disc in one of the trucks for me and he had nothing but the two way 6.5 set playing and he started at 45 and went down to 27 Hz and the 6.5's just kept right on playing and the bass kept getting louder the lower they went down to around 32 Hz and then it leveled off, there was a little drop off in volume below 29 or 30 HZ but they played musically down to 27 Hz on his test disc. He even made a point of turning the subwoofer on and off to show me the sound was from the 6.5's. UNBELIEVABLE SOUND! excellent midrange too.

AlterEgo99 is offline Streaming consciousness

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Welcome to Hell.

Eddie Izzard: Squirrels always eat nuts with two hands, always two hands, "arararar", and occasionally, they stop and go...oh, uh, ah, as if they're going, "Did I leave the gas on? No! No, I'm a fucking squirrel!"

RAM_Designs is offline SketchUp Master

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

You say the K2P tweeter is too harsh, have you tried using the attenuation buttons on the crossover? I had the same set and had the tweeters at -4db. The mids are excellent on that set.

1,400+ designs since March 2011...
    I have my PM's turned off, please email at Ryan@RAM-Designs.com

Closed Thread