I joined the forum a few days ago and wanted to say hi. I used to have a great car audio system about 20 years ago - or at least that's what I thought - but have made do with the factory radio in my last three cars - wife, kids, and life in general getting in the way. Recently I bought a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, and somehow I have an inkling to put some decent sound into that thing again.

One of my best friends in Germany was a professional car audio installer in the 80s, and the core of any system he installed were great rear speakers. The front was used mostly to get a balanced sound stage, and if the rear speakers had big enough woofers, no special subwoofer was required at all. The sound he got out of some of his systems - including what I had in my little Fiat Uno - was better than most any home stereo system I have heard.

People these days seem to recommend using good front speakers and subwoofers in the rear, but no rear speakers at all. I've been reading a lot of postings, but I still have trouble working out what a state-of-the-art system for my van would actually look like. If anybody can recommend a good article or other resource, I would greatly appreciate it. Other than that, I am just going to hang around a while, and hopefully learn a lot

Frank