Closed Thread

Reload Thread: New member from MA

Ringwood is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New member from MA

Hey guys, what's going on?

First I just want to say I'm a complete newbie when it comes to pretty much everything about car audio. I drive a 1991 Jeep Wrangler, and I was hoping to get some better sound in the thing this summer- I'm eager to learn I hope this is the right place.

My car audio experience is basically installing my current radio. When I got my Jeep, the Acc was never hooked up right so I had to figure it all out on my own. It wasn't really tough, but because it's about 18 years old I had to hard wire everything (no harness). I also "installed" the speakers, but it was simply plugging two speaker wires into a couple terminals.

Are there any articles on here, or elsewhere, that is a basic rundown of terms and basic information of car audio? My Jeep came with a Kenwood KAC-846 power amplifier. I don't know much about it, but it's a 4 channel power amp. I was hoping I could use this to power some decent sized speakers. I have tried doing research about different amps and speakers, but it's all very confusing.

I'm having trouble right now with Watts. It seems like that is the main focus of the output of an amp. In the item description of most amps I've seen it will say how many channels and how many watts. Oh what am I talking about, I have no clue.

But anyways I hope I can learn a lot here

rpw718 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon6 Re: New member from MA

Hi Ringwood,

I'd start with crutchfield.com.. They maybe able to tell you what fits your Jeep. If you buy from them they'll send you all the instructions for installing. Find out what the watts are on the amp. Fifty watts is a good start. The more power you have the better the sound. That will help you match the speakers you want to buy. Try and go at least mid-fi. If you can go hi-end that's better. (5 1/4 or 6 1/2 front and 5x7 or 6x9 rear)
    A sub can't hurt.

edzy is offline SPL Ninja

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: New member from MA

Welcome.

Take a read thru here as well.

http://www.bcae1.com/

Nothing to see here, Move along.

denim is offline SSAudio.com

Post Thanks / Like