Reload Thread: Befuddled 2

McIntosh is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Befuddled 2

Quote Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
    I can't really agree with that. The goals can be the same; the approaches may be different, but that's a result of the listening environment

I wouldn't bother with the Imprint, but having separate EQ ability per channel can be a very useful thing. I agree about in-car mounting requiring some compromises in speaker placement, but I'm just wondering - have you heard a vehicle built for SQ competition, like an IASCA or MECA event?
    Thanks for your response. I kinda thought the imprint would be a waste of greenbacks. I shouldn't need any EQ differential per channel as my speakers are against the tailgate pointing up slightly (basically right at my head). No issues with obstructions with either speaker. I have never heard any vehicles built for any competition (just the stop light wannabees with the spinners). I'm certainly not going to compete with anyone. Tell you the truth, I've never heard of SQ competition, I thought it was all about loud nowadays. Rattle the car next to you until its bumper falls off. You have piqued my interest.

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

http://www.iasca.com/content/Formats/02sqi.aspx

http://mecacaraudio.com/2008Rulebook/2008rulebook.aspx

But there are plenty of people out there who never want to compete in something like that, but still want reference-quality audio that has accurate timbre and projects a realistic soundstage. You just happened to pick the worst possible forum out there to find people interested in that

If you really want to see how people who aren't bassheads are doing things, a forum like the Hybrid Audio Technologies one would be a much better place to start looking. Or Elite Car Audio.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Again, if you've seen how an SQ vehicle can go together, you might not say this Doors can indeed make suitable enclosures, provided they're sealed up with layers of Lexan...midranges and even midbasses can fit into fiberglassed kickpods with enough volume for very useful extension - yeah, sometimes it's necessary to cut metal, but it can be done.
    Yeah, I'm sure that's true to an extent. Then again anything can be made to fly or float. That doesn't make them particularly good at it. Vehicles (cars in particular) present huge challenges. My "ghetto" approach of actual cabinets is certainly not practical in a car (if you like your back seats). Anybody have any links to these SQ vehicles? I admit my ignorance that such a thing existed.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://www.iasca.com/content/Formats/02sqi.aspx

http://mecacaraudio.com/2008Rulebook/2008rulebook.aspx

But there are plenty of people out there who never want to compete in something like that, but still want reference-quality audio that has accurate timbre and projects a realistic soundstage. You just happened to pick the worst possible forum out there to find people interested in that

If you really want to see how people who aren't bassheads are doing things, a forum like the Hybrid Audio Technologies one would be a much better place to start looking. Or Elite Car Audio.
    Thank you, sir. I never heard the term basshead until I came here. I see the battery-powered Billybass in my mind. Seems to fit.

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McIntosh View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure that's true to an extent. Then again anything can be made to fly or float. That doesn't make them particularly good at it. Vehicles (cars in particular) present huge challenges. My "ghetto" approach of actual cabinets is certainly not practical in a car (if you like your back seats). Anybody have any links to these SQ vehicles? I admit my ignorance that such a thing existed.
    http://www.buwaldahybrids.com/phpBB3...ee3d6acc2dd53b

This would be a decent place to start

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BTW, is the 9886 decent? I paid a LOT more for my 9337 25 years ago.

tacovic is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=JimJ;5607688]I can't really agree with that. The goals can be the same; the approaches may be different, but that's a result of the listening environment

well i can agree with that to a certain extent. the SQ aspect i can see. i can see how in a home audio setup you want great SQ and in a car you could want the same thing but i dont see many home SPL competions

refs- kovemaster, koolwhipman, Twisted_0912, headbussaboi, wildsebring, Ledoux289, jiggy2dmax

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=tacovic;5607873]
    I can't really agree with that. The goals can be the same; the approaches may be different, but that's a result of the listening environment

well i can agree with that to a certain extent. the SQ aspect i can see. i can see how in a home audio setup you want great SQ and in a car you could want the same thing but i dont see many home SPL competions
    Without roving judges it would have to be a motor home SPL competition. Here's a novel idea: SPL, frequency response and THD competition, deduct massive points if it sounds like **** and only plays billybass.

ROY ROBLES is offline THE BASS HEAD SYNDROME

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Welcome To The Site.... Enjoy!!

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6