Closed Thread

Reload Thread: FS Opteron Server

IamDeMan is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FS Opteron Server

Yes this is old tech but still reliable as a server for a small network. You will need to buy some PATA drives because what is include simply is not enough. There were 4x 320 Maxtors in RAID 5, but 1 gave out on me a year ago and another started flaking off and on 6 months ago. So I took the server out of service at that point since I don't have the money to throw into drives right now and all my stuff is archived on externals until I can rebuild a nice server again. No idea how long the other 2 drives will last but they ran nonstop for 5yrs so don't expect much.

I did plan on waiting and possibly just picking up 5 1TB PATA drives(4 for the raid and one backup) when I had the money, but now I have something else more important to buy -- A camera. My Canon IS3 decided to exhibit the lens error and will not fully protract. I have to have a nice camera well before I need a network server.

This is no Hot Rod by todays standards but it is reliable and functional equipment. The hardware raid has great performance for PATA drives. The case is simply perfect.

I am looking for $300 shipped or some trade deal for a decent camera.

Tyan s2885 Mainboard

A pair of Opteron 265

3Ware hardware PATA raid controller (much more reliable than any cheap software raid card)

Vantec Van-520A PSU

Lian Li V2100 aluminum server case. Only two bay covers. I had a hard drive rack with 4 Raptors in raid1 back in the day, so I didn't need the covers and seem to have misplaced them.

Other BS
    1GB Registered DDR (512MB per proc) You will want to increase this.

Geforce2 GTS 32MB (ol school lol) This is just a server so no need for fancy card.

Black DVDRW optical

2x Maxtor 320GB HDDs ATA133

1x WD2500 SATA Caviar SE

USB 2.0 card (3 external ports 1 internal)

I will load any of the following before shipping.
    Windows Server 2003 EE

Windows Home Server Power Pack 3 (easy to use server geared toward home users)

Windows Server 2008 EE (Never played with this and am unsure about drivers for the RAID card, butI can give it a shot.

Ubuntu Server 9.10

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: FS Opteron Server

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score