Re: Group Buy SPL-Lab Meters + SMART Monitor
We now have detailed information about the SMART Monitor(Protection Device).
Only 2 weeks left before SMART Monitor Group Buy is over.
New product from Spl-Lab, the Smart Monitor, will protect your car audio devices from damage; will help with tuning sound in the car, as well as measure power and acoustics characteristics of your sound system. Actually, the Smart Monitor replaces an ammeter(clamp meter), True RMS digital voltmeter and Oscilloscope and in addition to this, provides protecting functions.
Smart monitor takes measurements of DC voltage and amperage used by car amplifiers, as well as AC voltage and amperage delivered by the amplifiers to a subwoofer or other acoustic components. If the current, voltage or power consumption exceeds the set values, Smart Monitor breaks the controlling circuit of Remote amplifiers, thereby switching them off and protecting the acoustic system before user's interference.
IE- With the device, it is possible to define the lower limit of voltage, feeding an amplifier, to 10 volt, which will protect it from slump and set the upper limit to 15 volt. Then if voltage will be within the limit of 10-15 volt, Smart Monitor will work as a digital voltmeter, displaying current values, but if the voltage exceeds these limits, the device will detect it and cut off the Remote circuit. The same way it works with exceeding the set limits of AC or current. As another example we can give is setting a power-handling capacity for a subwoofer at 4000 watt, then in case of exceeding the power delivered by the amplifier to subwoofer, the Remote circuit will be also cut off protecting the speaker.
Usage for protection:
1. Protection of car amplifiers caused by under voltage or excess input voltage.
2. Protection of car subwoofers and acoustics from overheating and damage caused by uprating the allowed current and voltage (power) of input signal.
3. Protection of the acoustic systems from overheating and damage caused by playing back the corrupt (cut, clipped) input signal.
4. Protecting the electrical wiring of a car and other components from a burn-out at rapid increase of current and voltage (power) consumption by the car audio system.
(This does not mean to stop using fuses. Basic protection is still mandatory when using ANY aftermarket protection device. This is an advanced protection device that fusing alone does not suffice in full protection.)
Usage for measurements:
1. Monitoring in real time mode of direct voltage and current (power) consumed by your amplifiers and, thereafter, delivered by your alternator and battery. This is an ammeter and digital voltmeter at the dashboard of your car.
2. Displaying voltage and current (power), delivered by the amplifier to the subwoofer or other acoustics according to TRUE RMS algorithm. Devices that measure using this algorithm are rare and not all that cheap, but if you have the Smart Monitor you won't need them. You will be able to compare manufacturer specified amplifier characteristics with actual ones easily.
3. Monitoring readings from two sensors simultaneously (AC and DC, voltage or power).
4. Matching levels (Gain) of different channels of your amplifiers by measuring the amplitude of variable signal, delivered by the amplifier using specialized set-up CD, which is included with every order. Tuning of your car amplifier will become easier and more demonstrable for you.
5. Monitoring the coefficient of harmonic distortion of signal, played back for tuning your car audio equipment with the aid of distortion (“clip”) detection using fast Fourier transformation method.
Your components will be protected from overheating and sound will be clear. This feature is available as separate “firmware” with limited functionality.
6. Monitoring current impedance of your acoustics. The device automatically displays impedance along with the signal power delivered by the amplifier.
Smart Monitor consists of the main unit with an aid of which controls major features of the device and displaying data about the state of the system.
The unit can be provided in plastic case or without it for hidden installation (for example into the dashboard).
Apart from the main unit, there are two detachable sensors of AC and DC, and voltage, which are seated directly into the measured circuits of the car audio system. If the limiting value of measured current of 200 ampere is lower than permitted, there is an option of protection only by voltage.
Sensors are connected to the main unit using specialized wires that are up to 5 meters long. The DC and voltage sensor usually should be seated under the hood of the car next to the fuse, and the AC and voltage sensor should be seated in the boot, where amplifiers and subwoofers are usually placed.
The power for the device is supplied from car network, 12 volt through the cigarette lighter adapter.
Simultaneous connection of one DC and voltage sensor and one AC and voltage sensor is possible.
Measured value of DC - from 0 to 200 ampere.
Measured value of DC voltage - from 0 to 30 volt.
Measured value of AC- from 0 to 100 ampere.
Measured value of AC voltage - from 10 to 300 volt.
Maximum diameter of electric conductor for measuring a current - Standard 1/0 AWG.****
Maximum Remote circuit current - 1 ampere.
AC and voltage measuring algorithm – True RMS.
Measured values: voltage, current, power, impedance.
The algorithm of the system distortion defining - the fast Fourier transformation method.
Display - two-line LCD with backlight
Sockets/connectors: Power, USB, sockets for two sensors, Remote circuit.
Firmware upgrade - Possible through USB and PC.
Dimensions: (W*H*D) 2.56" x 4.92" x 1.57" (main unit), 2.09" x 3.23" x 1.18" (sensors)
****- If you have an application where the wire being used exceeds 1/0 standard size, you can use the DC sensor on a smaller amp such as a front stage amp. Measuring voltage drop on this amp is still effective to measure voltage drop across entire vehicle as the source of the voltage drop effects the entire vehicle.
You can also put this in line with a cable that is connecting front battery or alternator to rear but only if the values of the alternator do not exceed 200A.
Remember, 200A rating is an RMS rating, not peak rating.
Example- Crescendo BC5500D requires ~500A of fusing total, 250A per power run.
It is completely safe to put this DC sensor on one of the 2 power lines without worrying about the current being too much for the sensor.
Re: Group Buy SPL-Lab Meters + SMART Monitor
All Group Buy Orders are being shipped out tomorrow!