+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 43 of 43

Reload Thread: Question about Sundown audio.

  1. #31
    TheUnderFighter's Avatar
    TheUnderFighter is online now Beer Addict



    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Murrieta, California, (SoCal)
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,462
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: Question about Sundown audio.

    Quote Originally Posted by 04silverz View Post
    I think most people just think they want sq and really mean bass that sounds good and isnt boomy/sloppy
    This.

    And that Sundown Amp is good for your speakers, great for running an active set-up. Does that 3 grand need to include installation or are you installing it yourself? Regardless, if you shop around, you can get a hell of a system for 1-2k, and use the other thousand for installation if you can't do it yourself. There's a ton of ways you can go with it. You'd have to give a lot more info on your goals though.



    2009 Hyundai Elantra - Budget Sound in Progress
    HU- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X994
    Fronts- Crescendo MP6 mids, Vifa Ring Radiator tweets on Arc KS300.4
    Subs- Single SA-10 on Mmats 2000.1 @ 1ohm
    Misc- 1/0 CCA from AT, Big 3 in Stinger HPM, and AT 60 mil deadener
    Bought from: Inferno333, select127, treesive, Kangaroux, DonH
    Sold to: coolest user, Psychodrama, MidgetClown, mr.tigger, av83




  2. #32
    07denali's Avatar
    07denali is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Question about Sundown audio.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flex68 View Post
    Actually, I do believe that JL dub3, dub6, and dub7 are good for their purposes.
    What I know, tho, is that I've heard very few people put the ones you named up in the top tiers of SQ-dom, especially for someone with a $3k budget who can afford a wholelotfukkinbettah. If you think DD = SQ , then I question if you've any clue what SQ consists of.

    I'd def take a W6 before anything in those lines, every day of the week, and twice on Sundays...
    I didn't see the thread where the OP asked for SQ. My JL comment was mainly a joke. Don't take it so serious.

    I gave him some suggestions to look into. He's asking about Sundown. If someone is asking about Sundown, they aren't looking for a true SQ setup. Some people say SQ but they don't truly mean SQ or know exactly what they are looking for (no offense OP). And if they're asking about Sundown, I'm sure they are open to internet brands and not mainstream brands. He even says he's looking into the Xcon. I've run W3s and W6s and they were "okay" at best. I don't want to get in a debate on whether JL is good or not. I think most people know they are good but perhaps overpriced for what they are and should be used for certain applications versus others. That's my opinion. You can agree or disagree but it is what it is. And I would take a Havoc, Mayhem, Icon, Xcon, Zcon, or DC Lelve 4, or DC XL over a W6, even a W7, any day of the week.




  3. Dislikes Why So Cereal? disliked this post
  4. #33
    DARKHART's Avatar
    DARKHART is offline One Hitter Quitter



    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    LITTLE ROCK, AR
    Posts
    2,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Question about Sundown audio.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bettr n' Revrse View Post
    Sounded nice till I read Subdown...
    Cmon don't bag on Sundown.....just last year a vehicle running Sundown subs took first place in it's SQ class at IASCA...a pickup truck at that....just because they are more widely used for SPL doesn't mean that they are not able to sound good as well



    Just when they though it couldn't get any worse, in came the Lord of Kaos, the Darkhart has arisen from his century long slumber..
    ____________
    refs:
    Type-S Texan ............Xtremebass5
    NE14MX ........Grinder1989
    NJack2AF
    .............Jameseypoo
    Randyrsx ..........Bagdntagd
    M3Transporter......Teggybwoy
    RJ Sclafani...........Zeuslicious
    Saltyreefguy........Qkassidyw
    Qtrhorse..............Nismos14
    Pistonsfan70........4nine
    SlainNothing.........Orangelss
    M3@Apex............Louisiana_CRX
    SW9152..............DukeNut

  5. #34
    hmongyaj's Avatar
    hmongyaj is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Question about Sundown audio.

    whats the price range for just putting the setup?




  6. #35
    Joseph7195's Avatar
    Joseph7195 is offline Can't Walk, I still F*ck



    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Saltillo, Mississippi, United States
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,103
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    10
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Re: Question about Sundown audio.

    Wow, you got a lot of knowledgeable people helping you out with info. I will only say that SQ is so dependent on install, they really go hand in hand. Even average equipment can be made to sound amazing with proper attention paid to the right details. I usually don't comment because I don't want to be subscribed to a billion threads, but I had to comment here, love me some information. I really think you should make some trips to some shows that include SQ contests and demo some people's equipment. One of the most amazing SQ vehicles I ever heard utilized 2 18" subs, and is a World Champion.

    @princ3cmo



    Kenwood Xcelon Headunit
    Boston Accoustics Front & Rear
    Cadence United Series Vegas 4 Channel
    Cadence S2W12-D2
    Cadence United Series Dakota Mono Amp
    Duralast 1,000 amp battery, X-Static 2,000 Amp Battery
    Rockford Foagate 1/0 wire, and interconnects
    Cadence shielded RCA wire
    Dynamat sound deadening, Fatmat sound deadening

  7. Thanks Why So Cereal? thanked for this post
  8. #36
    Flex68's Avatar
    Flex68 is offline dilligaf



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Backroads
    Posts
    1,613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

    Re: Question about Sundown audio.

    Quote Originally Posted by 07denali View Post
    I didn't see the thread where the OP asked for SQ. My JL comment was mainly a joke. Don't take it so serious.

    I gave him some suggestions to look into. He's asking about Sundown. If someone is asking about Sundown, they aren't looking for a true SQ setup. Some people say SQ but they don't truly mean SQ or know exactly what they are looking for (no offense OP). And if they're asking about Sundown, I'm sure they are open to internet brands and not mainstream brands. He even says he's looking into the Xcon. I've run W3s and W6s and they were "okay" at best. I don't want to get in a debate on whether JL is good or not. I think most people know they are good but perhaps overpriced for what they are and should be used for certain applications versus others. That's my opinion. You can agree or disagree but it is what it is. And I would take a Havoc, Mayhem, Icon, Xcon, Zcon, or DC Lelve 4, or DC XL over a W6, even a W7, any day of the week.
    So what ur saying is that opie posted a thread asking for advice on something he wasn't sure about, you failed to read it yet still attempted to give advice on something you know nothing about, and are now trying to justify ur apparent ignorance by blaming the OP.

    Pretty much sum it up?



    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Monkey View Post
    Romney will [fornicate] me less than Obama already has and WAY less than what Obama has planned.
    Refs: adamtwo4, basscort2009, burzendowski, clanassa, cthedinger, ikoolguy, its_bacon12, Jew_Bagel, jr711, kreapin, kowboy, Rudy, TheRealDefman, Winter_C

    HU:Eclipse CD7200 MkII
    Subs: Fack Skar Audio
    Front comps: HAT Clarus C61-2 off Sony ES 7547
    Electrical: C&D batt, Big 3 with 1/0, 4ga to amps, Stinger RCA’s
    Damping: 60mil FG panels over holes, full worx from SDS

  9. #37
    07denali's Avatar
    07denali is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Question about Sundown audio.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flex68 View Post
    So what ur saying is that opie posted a thread asking for advice on something he wasn't sure about, you failed to read it yet still attempted to give advice on something you know nothing about, and are now trying to justify ur apparent ignorance by blaming the OP.

    Pretty much sum it up?
    Here I'll sum it up for you. You're a JL nut hugging want to be. Enough said. This is why I hate forums. You can't give anyone any advice without some idiot telling you're wrong. It's ADVICE on a brand of sub. How am I wrong? He asked about sundown. I offered a few other brands. Get a life.




  10. #38
    Flex68's Avatar
    Flex68 is offline dilligaf



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Backroads
    Posts
    1,613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

    Re: Question about Sundown audio.

    Quote Originally Posted by 07denali View Post
    Here I'll sum it up for you. You're a JL nut hugging want to be. Enough said. This is why I hate forums. You can't give anyone any advice without some idiot telling you're wrong. It's ADVICE on a brand of sub. How am I wrong? He asked about sundown. I offered a few other brands. Get a life.
    lol, umadbro?

    And, yes, the OP put "Sundown" in there, but that doesn't mean one should toss-out a laundry list of names---- as you did, at least twice---- when he also indicated he wanted SQ. (Most who remark about wanting SQ are actually more about SQL, and not looking to invest thousand$ into Mac equipment.)

    You come beebopping along and regurgitate a bunch of names you've read at some point, with only a few known for SQ....kinda like tossing mud against the wall to see what sticks.

    With the OP's budget, he has plenty of choices. Unfortunately, tho, he might think you know what you're talking about, and go for a DD sub or a DC Level 4 when his budget and his wants would allow him many better choices.
    Now, granted, a subwoofer is not going to be the heart of an SQ system and installation is a key point, BUT, better to point him towards the lines of Morel, Dynaudio, etc.
    More in the middle range, maybe suggest an IDQ, Dayton HO, Fi Q, and, yes, even the JL W6 that folks love to hate.

    (Just to toss out another sweet little SQL sub that nobody gives much credit to: Infinity Reference 1060w / 1260w. Nice noise on the super cheap!)

    In the end, I say that you shouldn't be offering advice on a topic and then be crying because someone tells you your "advice" suxxx when it does.



    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Monkey View Post
    Romney will [fornicate] me less than Obama already has and WAY less than what Obama has planned.
    Refs: adamtwo4, basscort2009, burzendowski, clanassa, cthedinger, ikoolguy, its_bacon12, Jew_Bagel, jr711, kreapin, kowboy, Rudy, TheRealDefman, Winter_C

    HU:Eclipse CD7200 MkII
    Subs: Fack Skar Audio
    Front comps: HAT Clarus C61-2 off Sony ES 7547
    Electrical: C&D batt, Big 3 with 1/0, 4ga to amps, Stinger RCA’s
    Damping: 60mil FG panels over holes, full worx from SDS

  11. #39
    Bettr n' Revrse's Avatar
    Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    16,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

    Re: Question about Sundown audio.

    Quote Originally Posted by DARKHART View Post
    Cmon don't bag on Sundown.....just last year a vehicle running Sundown subs took first place in it's SQ class at IASCA...a pickup truck at that....just because they are more widely used for SPL doesn't mean that they are not able to sound good as well
    Ya and a Kicker L7 won a couple SQ comps too but that doesn't mean it is the best option lol...




    Western Rep.

    99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

  12. #40
    JL Audio's Avatar
    JL Audio is offline ThugStep



    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    12,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Question about Sundown audio.

    always liked the sd line, great woofers for the price/output.
    Though for a tahoe, i'd look for more output. try a saz-1000 and pair of sa woofers if stuck on sundown.




  13. #41
    Why So Cereal?'s Avatar
    Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal



    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Drowning in milk
    Posts
    7,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

    Re: Question about Sundown audio.

    Well this thread looks fun lol

    With 3 grand for an SQ setup, I agree with @Flex68 all the way.

    IMO, all of the JL hate with the "much better for less" crap has been proven wrong more than once and the w6 continues to win SQ comp after comp, why wouldn't u recommend a nice product to someone? Just b/c u heard it was "overpriced" online? Come on dude.

    OP, like stated earlier, if you're wanting true SQ, look into Morel, JL, JBL, Adire, Dayton, etc.
    For SQL, look into the SSA lineup, Sundown works for this purpose as well.

    Maybe you should better define what type of SQ you are looking for...are u looking to get loud while still sounding good? or are you looking for true SQ in which the sub is not able to be localized, and there is virtually a concert on your dash/hood?




  14. Thanks Flex68 thanked for this post
  15. #42
    DARKHART's Avatar
    DARKHART is offline One Hitter Quitter



    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    LITTLE ROCK, AR
    Posts
    2,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Question about Sundown audio.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bettr n' Revrse View Post
    Ya and a Kicker L7 won a couple SQ comps too but that doesn't mean it is the best option lol...
    Never said anything about "best option" lol......not to mention that's such a very subjective term....I've been in this business on and off about 25yrs now and I've seen a lot of brands come and go and even return a time or two, so I don't let myself get caught up in big brand names any longer like I did in the early years, it's all about what actually performs and what don't, but of course back then it WAS the big brand names that were the true performers. Now there are smaller lesser know companies that have incredible equipment also, HAT is a prime example of that just to name one....

    My point was simply that Sundowns can perform in an SQ application just the same as the more bigger "know" SQ brands......thus my build....



    Just when they though it couldn't get any worse, in came the Lord of Kaos, the Darkhart has arisen from his century long slumber..
    ____________
    refs:
    Type-S Texan ............Xtremebass5
    NE14MX ........Grinder1989
    NJack2AF
    .............Jameseypoo
    Randyrsx ..........Bagdntagd
    M3Transporter......Teggybwoy
    RJ Sclafani...........Zeuslicious
    Saltyreefguy........Qkassidyw
    Qtrhorse..............Nismos14
    Pistonsfan70........4nine
    SlainNothing.........Orangelss
    M3@Apex............Louisiana_CRX
    SW9152..............DukeNut

  16. #43
    Flex68's Avatar
    Flex68 is offline dilligaf



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Backroads
    Posts
    1,613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

    Re: Question about Sundown audio.

    Hell, OP, just pick up a couple of Critical Mass UL12's and you will get a boner every time you sit in the SUV !
    Course you'll prolly have to up that $3k budget by a bit....and that will just be for the 2 subs



    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Monkey View Post
    Romney will [fornicate] me less than Obama already has and WAY less than what Obama has planned.
    Refs: adamtwo4, basscort2009, burzendowski, clanassa, cthedinger, ikoolguy, its_bacon12, Jew_Bagel, jr711, kreapin, kowboy, Rudy, TheRealDefman, Winter_C

    HU:Eclipse CD7200 MkII
    Subs: Fack Skar Audio
    Front comps: HAT Clarus C61-2 off Sony ES 7547
    Electrical: C&D batt, Big 3 with 1/0, 4ga to amps, Stinger RCA’s
    Damping: 60mil FG panels over holes, full worx from SDS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Similar Threads

  1. questions about kicker audio
    By jeremyzach in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2005, 06:34 PM
  2. Questions About Gnome Audio
    By LoneRanger in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 07:48 PM
  3. Question about JL audio subs and amp combo?
    By jaheim in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 07:56 AM
  4. Questions about ma audio
    By BZkid14 in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-09-2002, 05:27 PM
  5. Question about Ample Audio
    By Unregistered in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-26-2002, 04:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

1e2 Forum