Closed Thread

Reload Thread: my active sub just gave out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

my active sub just gave out

i was just watching forest gump and noticed my powered sub turned on about 10mins or so into the movie. i figured there wasn't much lfe so it took awhile for it to come out of stand-by(it's done it before). then, about half way through the movie it burped for no reason and quit. i popped in monsters inc to run the thx optimizer, and sure enough, no sub channel. btw it's a sony sa-wm40 that i picked up at sears for ~$150.
    first thing tomorrow i'm going to run to sears and see if i bought a warranty(which i'm sure i didn't), then i'm going to tinker with it to see if i can get it going again. should it not start working after i electricute myself, i will be in the market for a new sub. anyone have some cost effective suggestion that i might want to look into? i have a couple re12s coming that i just bought for no reason. they are dual 4-ohm so i could wire one to 8ohms. think i should just look into amplification for that or for another powered sub? i'm open to any and all suggestions. thanks

--My truck: 2006 GMC 1500 crew cab, Kenwood DNX570HD, DLS front stage, JL JX1000.1, JL dual 8w3v3 microsub enclosure, Second Skin deadening.

--Wife's car: 2013 Chevrolet Impala LTZ, Kenwood DNX470, GermanMAESTRO components on CT125.2, 2x AT10"s on an AT800.1, RF Deadskin deadening.

--Work truck: 2014 GMC 2500 crew cab, Kenwood DNX470, Kenwood front stage, DD M1A on a pair of American Bass XD10s.

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: my active sub just gave out

The best value for pre-built subs on the market either are the Hsu VTF series of downfiring woofers, or the Adire Rava.

Homebrew, you can probably do much better for prices (since you can build the cabinet yourself).

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

since you've got two RE12's coming in, you could always get a cheap plate amp or rackmount amp for them...and I happen to have a 28Hz tuned ported enclosure for two twelves in my basement wink wink, nudge nudge...

soundstreamer is offline Ω

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

thanks for the ideas. i just looked at parts express for some sub amps and they are well within my budget. ima go see if the local best buy carries anything like that. i will have to decline your offer for the dual 12" enclosure because s&h will prolly cost more than building one of my own. thanks for the offer though. sorry i couldn't make more storage room in your basement.

--My truck: 2006 GMC 1500 crew cab, Kenwood DNX570HD, DLS front stage, JL JX1000.1, JL dual 8w3v3 microsub enclosure, Second Skin deadening.

--Wife's car: 2013 Chevrolet Impala LTZ, Kenwood DNX470, GermanMAESTRO components on CT125.2, 2x AT10"s on an AT800.1, RF Deadskin deadening.

--Work truck: 2014 GMC 2500 crew cab, Kenwood DNX470, Kenwood front stage, DD M1A on a pair of American Bass XD10s.

PV Audio is offline The Vision of Sound

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

DUDE i just bought a mtx sw2 sub, and i'll sell u my sony sa-wm500 (12'') for 100 shipped

m3rK201 is offline The Block General

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i had plate amp before i bought my audio source and for sum reason one day i got bored and thought to my self.."i wonder how that plate amp will play with my audio source " Let me tell you,it made diffrence. It playd louder and hit lower and stays cooler then the stock amp. What im trying to you might hear an improvement mite be worth it..

4G63/LS1 God

96 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD GT35R Pwrd
    Supra Rapist..

Diamond Audio D3 600.1
    12 inch Alpine type R
    Stock headunit 4 now

93 saturn sl2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hey man ive got the same active sub that you have. ive had problems with them too but not like yours with my old reciever when i would turn it off the sub would start to hum. but since i got my new yamaha its been fine.

02 Mustang GT
    06 Mazdaspeed6
    95 Saturn SL2 turbo sh1t getter

Closed Thread