Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Reload Thread: Car sub to computer?

-01limited- is offline Where are my 72 virgins?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Re: Car sub to computer?

Dont use a battery and charger. Listen to them and get a plate amp. Its a sa 8 you wont need that much power for home use so scoop a low power one for cheap.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    Mach 5 ixl 18.4
    7 cubes tuned to 34hz
    Hifonics Brutus 2k
    Knu Wires
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Buick View Post
    Why?? You still haven't learned to eat my balls in the WTEMB section.

IonRL205 is offline DJ h4z4rdes IonRL205 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -01limited- View Post
    Dont use a battery and charger. Listen to them and get a plate amp. Its a sa 8 you wont need that much power for home use so scoop a low power one for cheap.
    Speak for yourself. I had 200 watts going to two Kicker CVR 15s and that wasn't enough for me...got pretty loud though.

Headunit - Pioneer DEH-P8300UB
    Subs - None
    Sub Amp - 2x Crescendo 3kwp
    Front Stage - Polk Audio db651 Coaxial
    Front Amp - None

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

duanebro is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IonRL205 View Post
    Speak for yourself. I had 200 watts going to two Kicker CVR 15s and that wasn't enough for me...got pretty loud though.
    Just goes to show you how crappy kickers are! :P Just joking.

What box did you have them in?

HU - Pioneer
    Front Stage - Old school MB Quartz run off a JL e2150
    Rear Stage - Stock - well one works, LOL
    Sub - Tang Band 740C in between the front seats
    Sub Amp - A tiny Kenwood. - because it fits under the seat.
    Total Spent on everything $50.

IonRL205 is offline DJ h4z4rdes IonRL205 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by duanebro View Post
    Just goes to show you how crappy kickers are! :P Just joking.

What box did you have them in?
    I ghetto rigged some home towers I had lol, some pro studio mach II speakers. I took out the bottom subs and put in kicker CVRs, they were probably in something like 8.5 cubes each lol...tuned to some high number. Was good til about 35 hz, then the bass started becoming non existant lol, but some notes I could hold say a receipt in my hand, and you would see it moving anywhere you would stand in the room, granted it wasn't much, but its only 200 watts lol.

Subs got stolen though, gonna replace all four with some Dcons and probably throw in some aeroports and tune it lower.

Headunit - Pioneer DEH-P8300UB
    Subs - None
    Sub Amp - 2x Crescendo 3kwp
    Front Stage - Polk Audio db651 Coaxial
    Front Amp - None

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

skylineTT is offline bass=sekz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I have successfully run PSU's in home for years. I run ED Nine.1's off of single power supplies. I have tried using the paralleled rail method but I dont think that most PSU's will actually work this way. If you do go this way (and it is cheaper to start off), get a single power supply that is rated at a higher output than the amp you are running. I run the ED Nine.1 on a 1000w PSU but keep the gain down or else it just shuts the PSU down (doesn't blow it). for an SA-8, run a 600w amp and get a dell n1000p-00 power supply from ebay for roughly 60 bucks. this is a 950w unit that can easily support a 600 watt amp. The only thing that ***** about this method is power consumption. It isn't super efficient because you are switching AC to DC, then the amp is switching DC to AC again. a lot of conversion usually means low efficiency so it will run the electric bill up a tiny bit if you use it a lot (if your parents pay the bills, you might not find this to be a problem at all).

A better option though, is to simply run a decent reciever to a pair of bookshelf speakers, then a plate amp for the sub (getting its signal from the reciever). This is more efficient and less of a wiring nightmare. It WILL cost you more money to start though if you dont already have a reciever/plate amp and want to buy it new. you can find recievers on craigslist that will work fine though for very cheap but the plate amp usually isnt as easy to find on craigs so most likely, you'll have to pick it up online and they are generally around 300 bucks. if you have any questions about wiring anything up, hit me up.

Lastly, your voicecoil config is important because plate amps will run at a 4ohm load while most monoblocks are 2 or 1ohm stable. if you get a dual 2ohm recone, you can wire to 4ohms for a plate and 1ohm for monoblocks that are 1ohm stable. or wire it to 4ohms and run it on a 2ch amp bridged (most cost effective).

Refs: Dipitydoo, appollyon, bad95gt, revrider1, jwh1598, ampjunkielikeme, deathpenalty18, ssackett, snoopysnooper, corey0928, SPLAudio, Clifff150, CL1CKCLACK, ShawnT, West + more

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2