Closed Thread

Reload Thread: 12V power supply

Kangaroux is offline I put on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

12V power supply

Currently, I use some terrible logitech speakers for my desktop. (5.1 surround sound for $70. the subwoofer is a 5.25" mid-bass woofer with the box tuned to ~60Hz lulz).

I was looking into possibly making a custom 2.1 system for my desktop (2 speaker cabinets with SSA Store - Bravox Audio CS60D Components and a 30Hz tuned box with either a Dcon 12" or a Dayton Audio 12" HF). I was going to run the stuff off 2 SS rubicon's (2ch for the cabinets, mono for the sub)

To use stuff in my room like headunits and to test amps, I just stripped the wires off some computer power supplies. That work's and all but doesn't really put out the power I'm looking for and looks like balls with all the extra wires everywhere lol.

I was wondering if there was a "dedicated" 12V power supply that I could use to power my stuff? I think they make them with banana plug inputs or what not.

tl;dr any recommendations for a non-PC 12v power supply to run car amps in my room for a desktop setup

Wingman0121 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: 12V power supply

I had a Pyramid regulated power supply that works really well, mine had adjustable voltage from 12~15v. They run about $100.

pyramid power supply items - Get great deals on Electronics, Business Industrial items on eBay.com!

Sold to: Mills561, Kross6622, sleazebagger, shpatb, esmokah
    Traded: Kross6622
    Bought from: DJ Nitrous 427, 97maxima

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

i decided not to get one lol. i can get a nice computer PSU for $80 that puts out 75A? don't remember.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yeah by the time you spend the money on a car amp and the necessary power supply you're spending as much money as an used 2 channel home audio amp/receiver, so might as well just use that.

I used a Technics SU-V8X to run a pair of TS-W2000SPL subs before, worked awesome and I actually bottomed those subs out with that monster amplifier.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

my only problem is i can't find any 2ch receivers that have a sub output. and i really would rather not spend way more money on a 5.1 just to have a sub output.

ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

looks nice but for $20 more i can get double the amperage lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kangaroux View Post
    my only problem is i can't find any 2ch receivers that have a sub output. and i really would rather not spend way more money on a 5.1 just to have a sub output.
    Look for integrated stereo amps that have a set of preamp outputs, Onkyo, HK and Yamaha has them just to name a few. The newer Onkyo and HK stereo receiver have delicated subwoofer mono preamp output.

FYI you can buy a decent 5.1 channel receiver for less than $100 used on eBay. The receivers from those HTIB sets also often have a subwoofer speaker output and they're honestly not bad - they only ****** because of the tiny crappy speakers that they all come with.

I had an old RCA receiver from a HTIB set that has preamp subout and speaker-level sub out - never missed a beat while hooked up to a 10" Pioneer sub and actually drove it really hard.

Closed Thread