Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Reload Thread: Car sub in living room, yay no nay?

  1. #1
    scottyk's Avatar
    scottyk is offline lil' nig



    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Car sub in living room, yay no nay?

    Hey all, I bought my mom a pair a bose bookshelf speakers for Christmas to replace her floor standing ones that are mad old. The new bose ones get just as loud and she wants to wall mount them to save room, only issue is they produce almost no bass compared to her old ones which had a 10 inch driver in each. I'm thinking of just getting her a low grade car audio sub and running it off of her receiver. Anyone have any experience with doing this? I used to run a small visonik 10 in a prefab sealed box in my room for fun and it would get loud enough to shake the walls before throwing the receiver into protect and shutting it off. I'm trying to keep the cost decently low and I ask about a car sub because actual home audio subs seem to be priced much higher from my research? Any suggestions? Anything online worth buying? I'm also looking for something already in a box, don't car if its prefab or not. Just not looking to spend 200+ on a 10 from bestbuy.

    BTW, I tried searching already. Just gives me a white screen



    Everything getting reworked!




  2. #2
    westman995's Avatar
    westman995 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    900
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

    Re: Car sub in living room, yay no nay?

    Ya if your looking to spend 200 bucks, just buy a powered sub made for the home application. Period.

    Running a sub off a receiver is not really a great idea. Unless it has a sub output channel for a sub, not a pre-out. Which by the sounds of it, it doesnt. I used to run a couple rockford HE2 subs on my reciever a long time ago, sure it worked and ususlly just went into protect, but one day it burnt the thing out, so eventually it will burn out more than likely.

    Buy a cheap powered sub for 200 +/-




  3. #3
    RAM_Designs's Avatar
    RAM_Designs is offline SketchUp Master



    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rockwall, TX
    Age
    29
    Posts
    21,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)

    Re: Car sub in living room, yay no nay?

    There's an ACI SV10 for $50+ ship over at diyma...low end beast, even in a sealed box. I'd grab it if I were you.



    1,400+ designs since March 2011...
    I have my PM's turned off, please email at [email protected]

  4. #4
    thegreatestpenn's Avatar
    thegreatestpenn is offline lazy genius



    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    columbus
    Posts
    9,276
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

    Re: Car sub in living room, yay no nay?

    get a HT sub, that's why they make them



    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/401249-thegreatestpenn-feedback-thread.html
    2k2 honda civic
    summer build
    audison sr4 on focal polyglass 165vb components active
    soundstream rubi1.2500d on dc lvl4 xl 18
    pioneer deh-80prs


  5. #5
    scottyk's Avatar
    scottyk is offline lil' nig

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Car sub in living room, yay no nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by westman995 View Post
    Ya if your looking to spend 200 bucks, just buy a powered sub made for the home application. Period.

    Running a sub off a receiver is not really a great idea. Unless it has a sub output channel for a sub, not a pre-out. Which by the sounds of it, it doesnt. I used to run a couple rockford HE2 subs on my reciever a long time ago, sure it worked and ususlly just went into protect, but one day it burnt the thing out, so eventually it will burn out more than likely.

    Buy a cheap powered sub for 200 +/-
    I'll look for something online.

    Also, let me clarify that I meant I'm not looking to buy a home audio woofer for 200+ from bestbuy. I don't buy car audio from there. Ever.



    Everything getting reworked!

  6. #6
    westman995's Avatar
    westman995 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    900
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

    Re: Car sub in living room, yay no nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by scottyk View Post
    I'll look for something online.

    Also, let me clarify that I meant I'm not looking to buy a home audio woofer for 200+ from bestbuy. I don't buy car audio from there. Ever.
    Sorry i read that part wrong, i thought it said you were looking to spend 200 bucks.. My bad.

    You can still find cheap powered subs for around 100 bucks. It may not get loud as ****, but it will do just fine. I highly doubt your mom is going to want/need anything more than that, but i could be wrong i guess haha..

    Either way, buy a cheap powered sub vs a car audio sub unless you have a plate amp to power it with, which in the long run will cost more.




  7. #7
    scottyk's Avatar
    scottyk is offline lil' nig

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Car sub in living room, yay no nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by westman995 View Post
    Sorry i read that part wrong, i thought it said you were looking to spend 200 bucks.. My bad.

    You can still find cheap powered subs for around 100 bucks. It may not get loud as ****, but it will do just fine. I highly doubt your mom is going to want/need anything more than that, but i could be wrong i guess haha..

    Either way, buy a cheap powered sub vs a car audio sub unless you have a plate amp to power it with, which in the long run will cost more.
    Yeah she doesn't need super loud. Just right now her little living room set-up was supposed to get an upgrade from the speakers I bought and until she gets a sub it's certainly lacking



    Everything getting reworked!

  8. #8
    tyler_fitz's Avatar
    tyler_fitz is offline They call me Weezer



    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hutchinson, KS
    Posts
    2,014
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Car sub in living room, yay no nay?

    i used a sundown audio e8 in a t-line and an elemental designs lt.200 plate amplifier. the sub was a recone, i think i got it for around 60, the plate amp was on clearance for 95. it sounds really great, very smooth, gets deep. a ton of sound for a little sub.



    1995 Dodge Dakota Ext. Cab
    Sub: 15" Fi Q
    Amp: Kicker ZX1000.1
    Box: 3.0 @ 35hz, aero
    HU: Pioneer 680mp
    Speakers: pioneer 3-ways
    Big 3 in 4ga kicker hyperflex

    Bought from: Cochese, AJČ06, basssquared, gsr22, gymfreak101

  9. #9
    scottyk's Avatar
    scottyk is offline lil' nig

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Car sub in living room, yay no nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by tyler_fitz View Post
    i used a sundown audio e8 in a t-line and an elemental designs lt.200 plate amplifier. the sub was a recone, i think i got it for around 60, the plate amp was on clearance for 95. it sounds really great, very smooth, gets deep. a ton of sound for a little sub.
    What exactly is a plate amp? Not familiar with that?



    Everything getting reworked!

  10. #10
    SicAudio's Avatar
    SicAudio is offline did you fart dude?



    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    melting HO alts...
    Age
    43
    Posts
    6,202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Car sub in living room, yay no nay?

    the amps that come in a home powered sub is a plate amp
    i use a 125 rms polk 10" powered sub plate amp on 1 12" kicker c12 and it thumps hard



    Quote Originally Posted by slammedincouch View Post
    Sic rolled me in front of my mom earlier...
    Quote Originally Posted by misfit138 View Post
    How did you manage to pack that much stupid into such a small amount of words?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I got rick rolled by SicAudio lulz
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I just got rick rolled by SicAudio again lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by chickaboom View Post
    awww.... dude! I can't believe you were the first! to rick roll me! I am a noob!
    sold to: Johnny Law.Lulz/Worstenemy453,Pumkinman, j1b1e1, DexterMoped, miyagi gboo559,CSU87,nate2587, MichaelLane, SmLLySack. MR_Imperial, Herrrerra, ltr450racer690, 05fronty bought from: TripleB45, bigwheel15, (kroid77 but never recieved..)
    helping noobs daily PM me

  11. #11
    skitzafit's Avatar
    skitzafit is offline AscendantAudioAtlas



    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    801
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

    Re: Car sub in living room, yay no nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by scottyk View Post
    What exactly is a plate amp? Not familiar with that?
    http://www.parts-express.com/wizards...TOKEN=56652912




  12. #12
    tyler_fitz's Avatar
    tyler_fitz is offline They call me Weezer



    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hutchinson, KS
    Posts
    2,014
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Car sub in living room, yay no nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by scottyk View Post
    What exactly is a plate amp? Not familiar with that?
    its just the style of amplifier used for home theater speakers/subs. it usually mounts right to the box. the "guts" of the amp are exposed, but on the inside of the box. the knobs, power cord, speaker inputs, etc, are mounted on a steel "plate".




    the back side of the amp, the "guts". its not the same amp pictured above, but hopefully you get the general idea. two of those wires are the leads that attach to and power the sub...




    1995 Dodge Dakota Ext. Cab
    Sub: 15" Fi Q
    Amp: Kicker ZX1000.1
    Box: 3.0 @ 35hz, aero
    HU: Pioneer 680mp
    Speakers: pioneer 3-ways
    Big 3 in 4ga kicker hyperflex

    Bought from: Cochese, AJČ06, basssquared, gsr22, gymfreak101

  13. #13
    adio's Avatar
    adio is offline THE STEREOTYPE FIGHTER!!!



    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    atlanta, ga
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,922
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: Car sub in living room, yay no nay?

    how about a 10 inch sub, a 2 cu ft sealed box and a plate amp?



    refs= springy101 <-- ultimate buyer, jmanpc(sold stereo), pwnt by pat <---the ultimate installer, PV audio and ionsql(box designs), toxic tuan (crystal comps), hazardous0388 (8" TB's), backthepack(jbl1200.1), bamavoo (sold profile ap1000M), rashadd (box plans in time of need), bassaddictj (jl xr mids), louisiana_crx(traded amps for DD comps), revrider1 (traded tc sub for RE sub and amp), jcldallas24 (bought jbl 1200.1), boomsday (2.3 cu ft tuned to 32hz), UMWDawg92 (sold kenwood stereo)
    fuq with adio, get your money/product that completely works........GUARANTEED!!!!!!!

  14. #14
    RAM_Designs's Avatar
    RAM_Designs is offline SketchUp Master



    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rockwall, TX
    Age
    29
    Posts
    21,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)

    Re: Car sub in living room, yay no nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanM923 View Post
    There's an ACI SV10 for $50+ ship over at diyma...low end beast, even in a sealed box. I'd grab it if I were you.
    Hell, I'll even get the link for you: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...iocontrol.html

    You will not find a better HT sub for the price, period. Try 1.5-2ft^3 tuned to 25hz. Doesn't need more than a couple hundred watts either.



    1,400+ designs since March 2011...
    I have my PM's turned off, please email at [email protected]

  15. #15
    SicAudio's Avatar
    SicAudio is offline did you fart dude?



    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    melting HO alts...
    Age
    43
    Posts
    6,202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Car sub in living room, yay no nay?

    ported is definately the better way to go for ht



    Quote Originally Posted by slammedincouch View Post
    Sic rolled me in front of my mom earlier...
    Quote Originally Posted by misfit138 View Post
    How did you manage to pack that much stupid into such a small amount of words?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I got rick rolled by SicAudio lulz
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I just got rick rolled by SicAudio again lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by chickaboom View Post
    awww.... dude! I can't believe you were the first! to rick roll me! I am a noob!
    sold to: Johnny Law.Lulz/Worstenemy453,Pumkinman, j1b1e1, DexterMoped, miyagi gboo559,CSU87,nate2587, MichaelLane, SmLLySack. MR_Imperial, Herrrerra, ltr450racer690, 05fronty bought from: TripleB45, bigwheel15, (kroid77 but never recieved..)
    helping noobs daily PM me

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum