Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Bonsai Ipod system build

hempy is offline bass wiener

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bonsai Ipod system build

Ok, so somehow my thread disappeared and no one will tell me why, so I guess I'll just continue updating here.

Unless someone can tell me how a thread just disappears? Is this a Goob thing?

Anyway....

I'm getting close. I just need to figure out the screw blocks for the pods and start on a very long bondo/sanding session. I'll probably be priming them myself at the shop this week if I can get through all of my prep work by Thursday. Should be interesting, as I've never shot with a paint gun before.

Synyster97XLT is offline Reppin' the 304

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Bonsai Ipod system build

That looks pretty fucking legit so far. Keep it up bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Villeza1 View Post
    Bandwagons!? You are sadly mistaken.
    Correctionvvvvvv
    Members dangle from each public hair folical on steve's nuts, the admins have their heads up his ass, and the forum vets ride or **** his dick. They call it "agreeing". Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by fwb_1234 View Post
    And even if you are doing something new and different, the category is too full of fart cans and lambo doors for your efforts to change how "souping up civics" looks.
    Head Unit: Pioneer P3100UB
    Amp:AP15001D
    Subwoofers: Two Alpine SWR-1542Ds

dextermoped is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's crazy good work! Jigsaw or router? What's the setup going to be like? Couldn't find your old thread

1974 VW Baja Bug 125HP
    1 Stock blaupunkt speaker

2000 Chevy Blazer
    18" RIP Low End Monster
    Sundown SAZ3000D

refs: bought from OldSchoolBoomer; Sicaudio; cd6551; Pbateman; and sub2weeker

sold to adio25

SicAudio is offline did you fart dude?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

really nice work
    just remember to use long even strokes with the sprayer and dont get to close. lots of mist or thin layers is way better than a couple heavy layers.

Quote Originally Posted by slammedincouch View Post
    Sic rolled me in front of my mom earlier...
    Quote Originally Posted by misfit138 View Post
    How did you manage to pack that much stupid into such a small amount of words?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I got rick rolled by SicAudio lulz
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I just got rick rolled by SicAudio again lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by chickaboom View Post
    awww.... dude! I can't believe you were the first! to rick roll me! I am a noob!
    sold to: Johnny Law.Lulz/Worstenemy453,Pumkinman, j1b1e1, DexterMoped, miyagi gboo559,CSU87,nate2587, MichaelLane, SmLLySack. MR_Imperial, Herrrerra, ltr450racer690, 05fronty bought from: TripleB45, bigwheel15, (kroid77 but never recieved..)
    helping noobs daily PM me

Synyster97XLT is offline Reppin' the 304

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SicAudio View Post
    really nice work
    just remember to use long even strokes with the sprayer and dont get to close. lots of mist or thin layers is way better than a couple heavy layers.
    Before I get rid of my POS exploder, I'm going to try and paint it myself. If it fails, I'll only be out about $500 for a new job, so I figured I would just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Villeza1 View Post
    Bandwagons!? You are sadly mistaken.
    Correctionvvvvvv
    Members dangle from each public hair folical on steve's nuts, the admins have their heads up his ass, and the forum vets ride or **** his dick. They call it "agreeing". Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by fwb_1234 View Post
    And even if you are doing something new and different, the category is too full of fart cans and lambo doors for your efforts to change how "souping up civics" looks.
    Head Unit: Pioneer P3100UB
    Amp:AP15001D
    Subwoofers: Two Alpine SWR-1542Ds

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dextermoped View Post
    That's crazy good work! Jigsaw or router? What's the setup going to be like? Couldn't find your old thread
    Lots of both. I have the same updates/pics in this thread over at DIYMA.

It's a 12w JBL amp that will be powering 2 Aura NS3 clones from PartsExpress. I basically cannibalized an earlier project for this much cooler setup.

Yeah the old thread just friggin vanished. Really odd.

Quote Originally Posted by SicAudio View Post
    really nice work
    Thanks! Luckily, the painter at the body shop will be walking me through everything, and I'll probably just be shooting alongside him in the booth.

jeeper07 is offline Rebuilding&Reconstruc ting

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thats too bad, people need to see the insane work that went into this. cant wait to see it 100 perfect done!

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/buyer-seller-feedback/211887-jeeper07-feedback.html

SubNit is offline can't use his mirrors

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

**** that's ******

Look foward to the progress

PV Audio is offline The Vision of Sound

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey are you using rattle cans to paint things?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PV Audio View Post
    Hey are you using rattle cans to paint things?
    Nope, bought a gun and will be shooting in the paint booth at the gf's dad's body shop.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I finally got back out to the garage today. I ran out of smokables last week and haven't really wanted to work on it. I guess I know where my inspiration comes from now =P

I dry-fit the trunk, base, and pods to make sure everything lined up right, and it turns out that the whole thing feels pretty solid with screws alone.

I also started on the blocks to hold the backs on the pods. I used some more of the oak that I used in the base, and rounded over the inside edges and cut off just enough of the outer edges to match the contour of the pods.

The first ones I cut were just slices of this shape, and after getting them all glued in, I found out that the drivers weren't able to clear them. Luckily it wasn't very hard to snap them out, and I sanded down the glue that was still left.

After this I decided to cut the new ones at an angle, and although they were a bit more difficult to clamp, they worked out and the drivers slipped right in.

I traced the blocks on the inside of the back panels and drilled out the screw holes. I'll use those hole to drill out the blocks once I'm sure they are dry and solid, and I'll countersink the holes on the back of the panel. Once those are done, it'll be time for bondo! But that's all I've got for tonight.

rusty_armadillo is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks awesome, can't wait to see it finished

refs: kmanian, PsychoTheRapist, TeZ, SHawk, CameronB, Parker G, lask48180, dcmcki, faiz23, mads10bass, gavriley2007, 99grandprixGT, kowboy, supermaxx123

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I finally got outside, and spent a bit of nice weather I laid down and sanded the first bondo application on the MDF pieces. It's a bit wavy in spots on the pods, but it should even out when I put a second batch on for more coverage. I've dealt with too many ugly glue joints in the past to let any of them show through the bondo. Hopefully it'll stop them, but who knows. If I can visibly see them through the primer I may go with something flat instead of glossy.

The other garage is also insulated/painted/finished now, so I have someplace warm to work in.

From this

To this

AudioFreak is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice work they lookin great, Also like the new garage Send me a pm if you need anymore parts from parts-express ill hook ya up..

Feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/318808-audiofreaks-feedback-thread.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AudioFreak View Post
    Nice work they lookin great, Also like the new garage Send me a pm if you need anymore parts from parts-express ill hook ya up..
    Sweet, I didn't know they had retail dealers outside of their own b&m store.

Well now that spring is back I'll be out working on this project a bit more, probably aiming to finish it up (completely) by May.

I've laid down 3 2 pretty heavy bondo layers and knocked everything down until it was just about level all the way around both pods. I mixed up a few small batches today to get small spots and holes, and I wound up losing 3/4 of a small batch because of the heat and the fact that the direct sunlight made my mix look lighter than it was.

These pics are from after sanding the second wipe. I clamped my orbital sander at 90* and ran the pods along that to cut down most of it, but it left a few grooves that I had to come back and clean up afterwards. It's much more effective for cutting down bulging layers on a translam. I may just mess around with different grits and surfaces under the paper (right now the sand has a pretty soft base).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast