Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48

Reload Thread: My first home theatre build, need help

  1. #1
    SubNit's Avatar
    SubNit is offline can't use his mirrors



    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    3rd Coast
    Posts
    794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    My first home theatre build, need help

    Now that I have a decent TV home theatre has grabbed my attention

    I need some help on how big to make my sub enclosure. This is my first venture into home audio and I want to do it right. I figure something like 7-8ft^3 @25hz. The subwoofer is an Eclipse SW9152. Was also wondering if I should downfire it?

    Like I said haven't the slightest clue what to do when it comes to home audio, but I'll be looking into this stuff quite heavily now. Any links to a good home theatre site would be nice too

    Thanks

    pics will be provided upon completion of the enclosure...it will look nice







  2. #2
    joeybutts's Avatar
    joeybutts is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    409
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: My first home theatre build, need help

    I would tune down to about 21 if you can. Lots of movies these days have sub 20Hz stuff slamming through...

    I can't model it here, but if it isn't answered by tonight I'll check it out for you. Do you have the T/S on the woofer?



    feedback thread -
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...ight=joeybutts

    joeybutts32 = joeybutts (sorry )

  3. #3
    SubNit's Avatar
    SubNit is offline can't use his mirrors

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    3rd Coast
    Posts
    794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My first home theatre build, need help

    Quote Originally Posted by joeybutts View Post
    I would tune down to about 21 if you can. Lots of movies these days have sub 20Hz stuff slamming through...

    I can't model it here, but if it isn't answered by tonight I'll check it out for you. Do you have the T/S on the woofer?
    I'll try and get them. Thing is the parameters Eclipse provides you aren't accurate at all, but I remember somone posting the actual parameters not too long ago so I'll try and find them

    Tuning down that low wouldn't be a problem. Like I said I'm kind of swinging in the dark here so I appreciate any and all help

    Thanks




  4. #4
    bubbagumper6's Avatar
    bubbagumper6 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The D
    Posts
    10,715
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Re: My first home theatre build, need help

    hmm...bump for similar interests

    Anyone have a link for guides on how to design an enclosure for a HT setup? I know how to design for a car but no idea about this stuff either....




  5. #5
    joeybutts's Avatar
    joeybutts is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    409
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: My first home theatre build, need help

    You want flat response down into the low 20's which usually requires a large enclosure, porting helps bump up the SPL's and def want cone area if you are looking for movie theater like LFE. I'm going to be building twin 18" enclosures in about 9 cubes tuned to 21. Should DESTROY.

    I had an 18" sealed in 5.5 cubes that was pretty awesome in my 800 sq ft apt.



    feedback thread -
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...ight=joeybutts

    joeybutts32 = joeybutts (sorry )

  6. #6
    joeybutts's Avatar
    joeybutts is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    409
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: My first home theatre build, need help

    Also, I do like downfiring woofers, but it isn't necessary....

    What are you planning on using for power?



    feedback thread -
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...ight=joeybutts

    joeybutts32 = joeybutts (sorry )

  7. #7
    SubNit's Avatar
    SubNit is offline can't use his mirrors

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    3rd Coast
    Posts
    794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My first home theatre build, need help

    Quote Originally Posted by joeybutts View Post
    Also, I do like downfiring woofers, but it isn't necessary....

    What are you planning on using for power?
    Ok cool, wasn't sure on the whole downfiring thing.

    As for power I'm not sure at all. Do you have any recommendations for a good 1000-15000 watt power source?




  8. #8
    joeybutts's Avatar
    joeybutts is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    409
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: My first home theatre build, need help

    They say certain subs are suited better for downfiring, but that can only be figured by audiophiles, and even then it is still subjective. I've downfired plenty of subs and have enjoyed them all.

    you won't need that much if you are only running one of those guys. It's rated at 750, right? I bet 500 would be enough, no more than 650 for sure since you are putting it in such a massive enclosure..... if you find those specs I can tell you how much would be good.

    as for amps around 1000, there are a couple on Partsexpress website, eD makes a 1300 watt amp that I used and loved, and you can also look at some proaudio amps if you wanted.....



    feedback thread -
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...ight=joeybutts

    joeybutts32 = joeybutts (sorry )

  9. #9
    Ray21's Avatar
    Ray21 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Rock
    Posts
    786
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My first home theatre build, need help

    Generally you tune lower for HT... in the mid teens if possible/practical. Need the TS in order to make a good recommendation...

    For power 500 watts is really plenty. You don't need as much power because you don't have to overcome road noise and huge HT enclosures are more efficient.

    I ran a Dayton Titanic MKIII 12" in 3.5 cubes tuned to ~20 hz powered off a PE 250 watt plate amp. Had very impressive output and SQ, after EQ'd was able to get flat down to 18hz.

    I replaced that with an AVA15 in 5.5 cubes tuned to 15 hz powered off a BASH 500 watt plate amp. It actually sounds cleaner than the Dayton on both movies and music. Plenty of headroom.



    '10 F150 - 3Sixty.2 / MTX 2150x / MTX 275x / Blueprint XBL^2 Subs/ Boston SL80

    REFs: flakko, Naxis2k1, JCJetta, jrgreene1968, NoPh33rRaCiNg, VTECnicalAccord, jadon087, sundownz, lmllopez, Toxic Tuan

  10. #10
    SubNit's Avatar
    SubNit is offline can't use his mirrors

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    3rd Coast
    Posts
    794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My first home theatre build, need help

    Quote Originally Posted by joeybutts View Post
    They say certain subs are suited better for downfiring, but that can only be figured by audiophiles, and even then it is still subjective. I've downfired plenty of subs and have enjoyed them all.

    you won't need that much if you are only running one of those guys. It's rated at 750, right? I bet 500 would be enough, no more than 650 for sure since you are putting it in such a massive enclosure..... if you find those specs I can tell you how much would be good.

    as for amps around 1000, there are a couple on Partsexpress website, eD makes a 1300 watt amp that I used and loved, and you can also look at some proaudio amps if you wanted.....
    Thanks, the more I thought about it and saw what other people were running I was starting to lean toward a nice 500 watt amp. The reason I suggested 1000 watts at first is because most people throw ~1500 at these subs so I figured 1000 would be enough in a box like this.

    I'll look into those amps you suggested. As for the T/S parameters, I'm having trouble finding the "right" ones. But here's one set:

    Fs: 27 Hz
    Qts: .39
    Vas: 6.10
    SPL: 91dB @ 1W/1M
    Voice Coil Re: 3.1 + 3.1
    Power (Peak/RMS): 750/1500
    Qms: 5.0
    Qes: .42
    X-max: 1.75" (one way)
    Sd: 800 Sq Cm


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray21 View Post
    Generally you tune lower for HT... in the mid teens if possible/practical. Need the TS in order to make a good recommendation...

    For power 500 watts is really plenty. You don't need as much power because you don't have to overcome road noise and huge HT enclosures are more efficient.

    I ran a Dayton Titanic MKIII 12" in 3.5 cubes tuned to ~20 hz powered off a PE 250 watt plate amp. Had very impressive output and SQ, after EQ'd was able to get flat down to 18hz.

    I replaced that with an AVA15 in 5.5 cubes tuned to 15 hz powered off a BASH 500 watt plate amp. It actually sounds cleaner than the Dayton on both movies and music. Plenty of headroom.
    Thanks for the info. I've heard good things about that Dayton Titanic. Haven't heard too much about the AVA but the fact that it out-performed the Dayton speaks volumes

    Again thanks for the info and I'll work on getting the real set of parameters, but I think the one's I posted are close....




  11. #11
    PV Audio's Avatar
    PV Audio is offline The Vision of Sound



    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Indy
    Age
    25
    Posts
    19,655
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My first home theatre build, need help

    If you can get me some T/S, I'd be happy to help you out




  12. #12
    SubNit's Avatar
    SubNit is offline can't use his mirrors

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    3rd Coast
    Posts
    794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My first home theatre build, need help

    Quote Originally Posted by PV Audio View Post
    If you can get me some T/S, I'd be happy to help you out
    Thanks, I know you have your enclosure designs down to the wire after reading through your other thread

    I'm trying to get the real set, just waiting on a response from somone. Seems like there was a lot of confusion with these woofers on the t/s params

    Here's another set I found:

    Fs = 27Hz
    Qts = 0.43
    Vas = 6.10 cuft
    DCR = 4ohm/coil Xmax(one way) = 1.75"




  13. #13
    PV Audio's Avatar
    PV Audio is offline The Vision of Sound



    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Indy
    Age
    25
    Posts
    19,655
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My first home theatre build, need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray21 View Post
    Generally you tune lower for HT... in the mid teens if possible/practical. Need the TS in order to make a good recommendation...

    For power 500 watts is really plenty. You don't need as much power because you don't have to overcome road noise and huge HT enclosures are more efficient.

    I ran a Dayton Titanic MKIII 12" in 3.5 cubes tuned to ~20 hz powered off a PE 250 watt plate amp. Had very impressive output and SQ, after EQ'd was able to get flat down to 18hz.

    I replaced that with an AVA15 in 5.5 cubes tuned to 15 hz powered off a BASH 500 watt plate amp. It actually sounds cleaner than the Dayton on both movies and music. Plenty of headroom.
    You need double that power for that Dayton to come alive. That's probably why the Av sounded cleaner because you were overdriving that plate amp to get decent output.




  14. #14
    PV Audio's Avatar
    PV Audio is offline The Vision of Sound



    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Indy
    Age
    25
    Posts
    19,655
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My first home theatre build, need help

    Quote Originally Posted by SubNit View Post
    Thanks, I know you have your enclosure designs down to the wire after reading through your other thread

    I'm trying to get the real set, just waiting on a response from somone. Seems like there was a lot of confusion with these woofers on the t/s params

    Here's another set I found:

    Fs = 27Hz
    Qts = 0.43
    Vas = 6.10 cuft
    DCR = 4ohm/coil Xmax(one way) = 1.75"
    Eh I don't know about down to the wire, but I do far more home audio than most guys up in the enclosure section so I will at least admit to that.

    Let me see if I don't already have that speaker in the database, as I know I designed a few enclosures for the Ti subs a few years back.




  15. #15
    jwth2005's Avatar
    jwth2005 is offline Member



    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    145
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My first home theatre build, need help

    I am really curious about this too. I will be putting together a HT setup as well over the next few months. What would be good subs to run in this type of enviroment???




Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum