Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reload Thread: My first home theatre build, need help

PV Audio is offline The Vision of Sound

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: My first home theatre build, need help

No, I only have the ones you posted. Apparently people don't want to model this speaker anymore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jwth2005 View Post
    I am really curious about this too. I will be putting together a HT setup as well over the next few months. What would be good subs to run in this type of enviroment???
    Bigger is better, lower is better. That means bigger cone size and lower resonant frequency. These speakers need to reach down below 20hz with authority unlike in car audio. If your speaker's Fs is around 30-35, by the time your 15hz depth charge explosion comes, your speaker will be about as torn to shreds as the submarine in the movie. For that reason, you typically need big drivers with high compliances and moving masses as Fs is an inverse relationship of the product of the compliance and the moving mass. If you want, you can add mass to the rear of the cone which has been done before but I would generally just recommend that you use a larger sub with a decently high Cms and Mms, or just a low Fs. In this case, Qts is critical to look out for. Unlike in car audio, if your Qts is .8, don't even THINK about putting that into a ported box. That thing will flop around like a dying fish. Instead, you will need to follow the >.7 = sealed and <.4 = ported rule. That doesn't mean that sealed subs are bad, in fact, the SoundSplinter RL-S15 is one of the best home theatre subs money can buy and it'd shoot you if you ported it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

joeybutts is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Sealed subs can actually be really nice depending on enclosure size and Qtc....loved mine, but really want to try ported for my HT use....

feedback thread -
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...ight=joeybutts

joeybutts32 = joeybutts (sorry )

SubNit is offline can't use his mirrors

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for hangin in there with me guys, hopefully I'll have a response here sometime today on those t/s parameters

Been doing some reading on HT and it's getting addicting...too bad I don't have a dedicated media room

plugitin is online now She Bangs plugitin is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

sub'd

Team DC Audio

Refs: absoluteaudio, rab, walnut, seedubs1, dbeez, -leister-, Louisiana_crx, bubbagumper6, DS Autpsports, Mr.Ronin_2U, lil98cabrio, wone, micah_jones, grinder1989

Ray21 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PV Audio View Post
    You need double that power for that Dayton to come alive. That's probably why the Av sounded cleaner because you were overdriving that plate amp to get decent output.
    Maybe... while its a great sub its not even close to being one of my favorites. I've had it in both 1.5 sealed and 2 cubes tuned to 30hz with 500+ clean watts and it just sounded flat, for lack of a better term.

'10 F150 - 3Sixty.2 / MTX 2150x / MTX 275x / Blueprint XBL^2 Subs/ Boston SL80

REFs: flakko, Naxis2k1, JCJetta, jrgreene1968, NoPh33rRaCiNg, VTECnicalAccord, jadon087, sundownz, lmllopez, Toxic Tuan

bubbagumper6 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

PV when I finally get around to working on my HT setup you may be receiving a few pm's

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok finally got the T/S parameters thanks to eclipsefool

So if I could get some much needed help on the enclosure design it would be appreciated

Fs:27
    Qts:0.39
    Vas:6.10
    SPL:91
    VCoilZ:3.1+3.1
    Power:750/1500
    Qms:5.0
    Qes:0.42
    XMax:1.75"
    Sd:800

stupify is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know it's a longshot but if you guys happen to have a 500 watt amp that I can run let me know as I'm looking to buy a decent one

Thanks

joeybutts is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Ok, here is my novice/intermediate attempt for you. Have someone double check this for you. (Maybe PV will see this up here and give it a model....)

on 500W, with the 9152, and the specs you gave, I have WINISD giving me the best enclosure at 8 cubes, tuned to 20Hz, Slot port of 16" x 3", 34.5" long (or an 8 in aero 36" long which lowers the air speed by 1 m/s). This gives an air velocity of 19 m/s at about 16 Hz (a TOUCH high but not too bad), and a nice flat response (It only deviates by 5 dbs from 80Hz to 20Hz).

Hopefully PV can run this and check for you. The SPL numbers looked real nice as well.

feedback thread -
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...ight=joeybutts

joeybutts32 = joeybutts (sorry )

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joeybutts View Post
    Ok, here is my novice/intermediate attempt for you. Have someone double check this for you. (Maybe PV will see this up here and give it a model....)

on 500W, with the 9152, and the specs you gave, I have WINISD giving me the best enclosure at 8 cubes, tuned to 20Hz, Slot port of 16" x 3", 34.5" long (or an 8 in aero 36" long which lowers the air speed by 1 m/s). This gives an air velocity of 19 m/s at about 16 Hz (a TOUCH high but not too bad), and a nice flat response (It only deviates by 5 dbs from 80Hz to 20Hz).

Hopefully PV can run this and check for you. The SPL numbers looked real nice as well.
    Thanks for the help, I'll see if I can get somone to double check that but it sounds like it should work

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmm, I modeled it up and it doesn't look too pretty. It has a huge null which is due to a simply MONSTROUS impedance spike at Fs. If you could build a large series notch filter for it, I'm sure that'd bring the response up. However, tuning at 22hz at 5 cubes is simply hideous. Tuning at 20 at 8 cubes is even worse. That has a F3 of over 120hz! However, giving it a smaller sized box seems to make it rather happy at about 2 cf. Note that the Qts is not that low, so giving it a huge ported enclosure might not be necessary. It has a EBP (efficiency bandwidth product) of around 64, and the benchmark for ported is 100. I'll keep tweaking and will see what I can come up with

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PV Audio View Post
    Hmm, I modeled it up and it doesn't look too pretty. It has a huge null which is due to a simply MONSTROUS impedance spike at Fs. If you could build a large series notch filter for it, I'm sure that'd bring the response up. However, tuning at 22hz at 5 cubes is simply hideous. Tuning at 20 at 8 cubes is even worse. That has a F3 of over 120hz! However, giving it a smaller sized box seems to make it rather happy at about 2 cf. Note that the Qts is not that low, so giving it a huge ported enclosure might not be necessary. It has a EBP (efficiency bandwidth product) of around 64, and the benchmark for ported is 100. I'll keep tweaking and will see what I can come up with
    Sweet! Thanks for the info and fyi I have no space restrictions so yeah, it can be as big or small as it needs to be

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, wait a minute, you didn't give me an inductance value. If you could find me a Le value, that would make this a lot more accurate.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast