Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Chubby, curvy Vifa monitors

hempy is offline bass wiener

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chubby, curvy Vifa monitors

I've had a set of Vifa drivers sitting around since I retired a rather large set of 1/4 wave pipe speakers last year. I want something to fit up on my wall once I sell off (maybe) the mtms that I have up there now. Or these may go right next to them. Who knows. But anyway...

The woofers are Vifa P17WJs, and the tweeters are Vifa PL27TGs. I really liked these drivers when I had them in use.

I'll probably be using bend threaded rod again with this set. All of that will have to get worked out when I get there. As of right now, I am only building one, so as to make sure there are no issues with the design before cutting up the wood for the second one. I am basically going to be getting all of my projects to the point at which they are ready for paint, as I will be buying a HVLP gun later this week to start doing my own painting (if everything works out well)

Well, here we go with pictures.

I first cut a single template out of 1/2" mdf using the Jasper Jig, then rounding where the two circles meet with the sanding drum. I cut out 7 pieces (one extra) with the jigsaw, drilled 1/8" holes to pin the pieces together, and ran them on the flush trim bit on the table. These cabs will be 6 layers thick.

Double vacuum time

I used the Jasper again cutting out all of the inner circles. I now cut out all of my circles by going 75% of the way through each piece, then cutting with the jigsaw and flush trimming the whole thing. Then I don't have to worry about divots and whatnot when the jasper cuts the center free.

I rounded the outer edges on the top and bottom pieces with a 1" radius. The speakers are flush mounted.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Chubby, curvy Vifa monitors

The tweeter has the tighetest fit, as I don't want any leaks. I think the tweeter itself its 72mm... the opening is 72.5mm. =P

Ooh la la

I tend to rear-mount drivers more often, so this is my first time chamfering a cutout. I didn't have a 45* bit with a bearing, so I used one of these bits instead. The edge of the chamfer is level with the flange, although it may not look like it in the picture. The bit I used was actually new in the packaging (although it was probably 20+ years old, and it burned up already =P)

I also discovered today that the router table I am working on is older than I am. o_o

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I decided to try marking the layers as I clamp them without glue. They tend to move a lot with glue on, so I'm thinking this may help out a bit. I also think I may need more of these clamps. I will trimming each layer using the one above it as a template fro the flush trim bit.

I also spent a little time and made some of these for free with some cutouts and drawer liner. Pretty sweet.

mazda6i07 is offline 147.2db

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looking great and will prob sound great as well

2007 Mazda 6i
    Source: Pioneer 880prs
    Front Stage:
    (4) AA Poly Mids
    (2) Vifa Xt25 Tweets
    Amp: Mb Quart Dsc4125
    FeedBack: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...ight=mazda6i07
    References: tc3k101, BumpinBuick, RetroAudioInc, mlstrass, JBizzle, Mobeious, YukonBoy97, CgFire, Hybrid90Accord, JManPc

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not too much done on this last night, but I did get the baffle glued on. I will be routing out recesses on the back for the wall mounts when I work on it next. I like that I don't have to use a removable back since the drivers are mounted on the front of the baffle. Much easier to sand/finish without a big seam.

Closed Thread