Closed Thread

Reload Thread: What does it take?

kylec is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What does it take?

I finally got a good job, and have been thinking about doing a legit home theater setup in my apartment. The room is NOT very big, the whole area is around 12x13 feet. The TV to couch is about 10 feet. The setup will be used for movies and an occasional xbox session. I was hoping any experienced guys could chime in. I was thinking "around" 1000$ for the system. I was thinking of starting out with two towers beside the TV, going with a 10" subwoofer, mid, then tweet.

How much difference will there be running a center Mid+tweet+Mid channel? Do most people run receiver's internal amps to power the mid's/tweets? In the case of this small room, would it be more beneficial to run two main towers instead of a surround sound solution?

Thanks for any help
    KC

EDIT: Also, I already have a FI BL 15 laying around, could i use that for the setup or will it be overpowering the mids/tweets?

l7runner is offline Amidst the Static

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: What does it take?

If you aren't some terribly picky you can prolly pick up a decent 5 channel receiver to handle your processing/power needs. Your best bet for the speakers is to listen to a bunch of sets until you find the ones you like.

I ended up making some speakers that I found plans for online, and they sound great to me and weren't expensive.

If you are handy enough http://www.zaphaudio.com/ has some good ideas, and diy forums can be a great asset.

I wouldn't worry about spending a bunch on your surround speakers, focus more on you mains and center channel for HT purposes.

I'm running a MJ-18M in my tiny room for HT, headroom is a plus

HU: Pioneer 880-prs
    Mid/High Amp: MB Quart DSC4125
    Front Stage: PG mids/Vifa tweets running active
    Sub Amp: DD Z1
    Sub: 10" Mach 5 SPL/Hybrid 1.25ft^3 @ 38hz
    DC Power Alt

Closed Thread