Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Finished My Home Theater, Now a Few Questions

My setup now consists of: Paradigm Monitor 7 ported towers in front, Tritrix transmission lines in the rear, and a Paradigm CC-350 for the center channel. The receiver is a HK AVR-247 and the sub is a 15" JBL GTO in 6 cubes tuned to 19 hz on a 270 watt plate amp.

First, I did some listening without the subwoofer. When the receiver first comes on, it only plays in stereo. The Monitor 7s sound great, only thing missing is the subsonic bass from the subwoofer. When I hit the button to switch to surround, to include the Tritrix towers and CC, the sound lacks in the lower frequency range. It sounds less "full". Could this be due to cancellation? The towers are basically pointed directly towards each other.

Also, I forgot to add Poly-Fill to the Tritrix transmission lines. Should I? The subwoofer sounds a little bit "hollow". I figure this is probably due to a little box flex. I was going to pull the sub out and add bracing. Should I add some more Poly-Fill as well?

bought from: cbrrocketrdr, bk12321, galacticmonkey, jnoel, aaronmiiller, revrider1, QtrHorse, brchd, Calikid, IA2, miker, dontknowanythin, Towncar, woofercooker, speedyg76, cd6551
    traded with: lorilee8284, Boominator
    sold to:ravens9322, Blinkdogo2, dbubble, Fusion_FREAK, oneill584, jrgreene1968

Random1010 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

Re: Finished My Home Theater, Now a Few Questions

Read up on how to angle the towers. They shouldn't be parallel..

Flipx99 is offline Violator of Terms

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)

Make sure your front speakers are set to small. Otherwise, no bass from sub.

Black cat, white cat...all that matters is that it catches mice. -Deng Xiaoing

I do homework for money. I specialize in finance. PM me for estimates.

If someone uses me as a reference, please contact me first.

bball09124 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipx99 View Post
    Make sure your front speakers are set to small. Otherwise, no bass from sub.
    Are you sure about that? I believe I have both my fronts and rears set to "large", but I still have the subwoofer on. I have the sub crossed over at 40 hz and I also have the towers crossed over at 40 hz. It sounds good to me at the moment. The towers play well down to 40 hz.

bought from: cbrrocketrdr, bk12321, galacticmonkey, jnoel, aaronmiiller, revrider1, QtrHorse, brchd, Calikid, IA2, miker, dontknowanythin, Towncar, woofercooker, speedyg76, cd6551
    traded with: lorilee8284, Boominator
    sold to:ravens9322, Blinkdogo2, dbubble, Fusion_FREAK, oneill584, jrgreene1968

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bball09124 View Post
    Are you sure about that? I believe I have both my fronts and rears set to "large", but I still have the subwoofer on. I have the sub crossed over at 40 hz and I also have the towers crossed over at 40 hz. It sounds good to me at the moment. The towers play well down to 40 hz.
    Seriously.

If you have them as large, the receiver will try to bass out of them. Then you have your xover and ****.

Try it and then rep me after your sub starts working.

It's not going to hurt you to put them as small.

When it says large, the receiver is thinking you have a built in sub.

gymfreak101 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Flip is right about setting your fronts to small, also when you switch to surround most of the sound will come from the center channel. Maybe this is why you think they are canceling out.

2009 Nissan Maxima

refs: kmanian, biker911(x2),86yota,lysfys,criswrld,aesoj(x2),nine ball,innsanes,smokingkane, siacarman,krisfnbz,reson08,viebotls,
    sundownz(x2),cschnider,cleansoundz,integra88,EXIGE , psychotherapist(X3),spy,theothermike,gds3k,Blinkdo go2,
    dontknowanythin,MSW Danny, zins184,ameuba10,bucac_tau , dropped_mazda, djviolent,vitveet,2000Gator, BUDdholly,GLN035,rollerdj, underground_bum,
    AHSinfonia1898,werd, Lazyrider, RidnClean, servcosr5,
    Integra2468(X2), 97gp, Louisiana_CRX,wu501(x2),WildcatNate(x2),vApor21,re vrider,09alti,18inchjeepin,strdnpro,crash9201,Andr ew_as,dkhage1
    uglydimple12,shawnfleming,tyler_fitz,busabob, dride, fasfocus00,ngsm13

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gymfreak101 View Post
    Flip is right about setting your fronts to small, also when you switch to surround most of the sound will come from the center channel. Maybe this is why you think they are canceling out.
    Depends really. It's hard to say without being there about the cancelling out part. I think he has a button pushed that shouldn't be.

To be honest, I find a lot of trouble in picking PLII vs. DD vs. DTS etc when playing DVDs. I usually try to see what's on the box (what it is recorded in) and select that.

Closed Thread

User Tag List