Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Looking to do a computer setup in my apartment...

NeedDirections is offline alligator toilet seats

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looking to do a computer setup in my apartment...

So I am looking to upgrade my logitech 2.1 system that I use in my bedroom on my computer. I was looking at the DD pro audio set (with the ps2 10" woofer) but it's really expensive and I think the money could be better spent elsewhere.

So basically,

I need: 2 satellite component speakers (bookshelf style), some kind of easy auxillary connection to my laptop, with a 8"-12" subwoofer/cabinet (powered box or with a cheap plate amp?)

I am looking to spend no more than $500 for everything. would prefer not to have to fabricate a box.

Thanks!

2002 Volvo S40T
    Pioneer 780
    PG RSD 6.5
    Kicker 300.2
    Treo SSX 12"
    RD 1750.1
    SPL-C115
    Refs: Pimpedout97x, TreyE, Columbus, 95VolvoSx, oxsign, Pioneerpimp (x2), Bones22, PlushDJ, Reson8, JPD2621, rmdl51, Rollerdj, LS2poweredGoat, Orangecounty1, Iamamp3pimp,Woodels420, SQL4Life ...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by vforvengance
    Forget all that. Iam a bass head the louder the better, the more windsheilds and sunroofs I blast out my car the happier i will be. I hope I lose my hearing to bass, instead of something crappy like IDK jets engines running at wk or whatever. Is preference dude. Some people like it. Imma do myself a favor and bang as loud as I can....

Scoobydoo is offline POOPSIE McSQUIRTYSHORTS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Looking to do a computer setup in my apartment...

i will sell you a sony receiver(STR-DE485 i think) and a pair of nice bookshelf speakers(KLH-970A) for $100 shipped

all you would need would be a mini->rca cable and a cheap powered sub from someplace like parts express or newegg has a polk 10" sub on sale for $100 shipped

that will get you done with about $300 to spare

ballstothewall is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Build a pair of Fonkens with the Fostex FE127 driver. They are fantastic speakers and would do you quite nicely.

Plans are here: http://www.planet10-hifi.com/fonken.html
    Drivers are here: http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=269

90$ for drivers, 40$ for some good ply, 20$ for misc stuff, so for 150$ you can build some really nice bookshelf units. If you don't want to build it yourself, I'm sure you could find someone to build the pair for you for the right price.

Kicking the tires, Lighting the fires.

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ballstothewall View Post
    Build a pair of Fonkens with the Fostex FE127 driver. They are fantastic speakers and would do you quite nicely.

Plans are here: http://www.planet10-hifi.com/fonken.html
    Drivers are here: http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=269

90$ for drivers, 40$ for some good ply, 20$ for misc stuff, so for 150$ you can build some really nice bookshelf units. If you don't want to build it yourself, I'm sure you could find someone to build the pair for you for the right price.
    That plus a Sonic T-amp would be a hell of a start

NeedDirections is offline alligator toilet seats

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Those Fonkens look like the way to go, any idea if I could modify it to house the 4.5" midrange along with an 8" woofer and possibly a tweeter...

Also, how exactly would I add a subwoofer to this setup? Are their any powered subwoofers worth considering?

2002 Volvo S40T
    Pioneer 780
    PG RSD 6.5
    Kicker 300.2
    Treo SSX 12"
    RD 1750.1
    SPL-C115
    Refs: Pimpedout97x, TreyE, Columbus, 95VolvoSx, oxsign, Pioneerpimp (x2), Bones22, PlushDJ, Reson8, JPD2621, rmdl51, Rollerdj, LS2poweredGoat, Orangecounty1, Iamamp3pimp,Woodels420, SQL4Life ...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by vforvengance
    Forget all that. Iam a bass head the louder the better, the more windsheilds and sunroofs I blast out my car the happier i will be. I hope I lose my hearing to bass, instead of something crappy like IDK jets engines running at wk or whatever. Is preference dude. Some people like it. Imma do myself a favor and bang as loud as I can....

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Those Fonkens look like the way to go, any idea if I could modify it to house the 4.5" midrange along with an 8" woofer and possibly a tweeter...
    That's not really the idea behind that enclosure design Once you start adding drivers like that, you're talking about crossovers, as well as the cost of the drivers themselves...and a good full range design you can afford turns into something you couldn't with a $500 total budget.

Are their any powered subwoofers worth considering?
    Not many for that budget, but if you built something, there are some good options - just use a 100W plate amp or so and a 8-10" sub.

ballstothewall is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NeedDirections View Post
    That would just defeat the purpose of a full range setup... You don't need a tweeter for them, they are just fine without it. For a sub just find a 100w plate with a 8-10" sub like Jim said.

Kicking the tires, Lighting the fires.

Closed Thread