Closed Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Reload Thread: Temperature and Humidity?

  1. #1
    joetama's Avatar
    joetama is offline The British Ear



    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    15,306
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Temperature and Humidity?

    I've been having a lot of issues as of late with static electricity, dry skin, sinus issues, bloody nose, etc etc. So out of curiosity I purchased a weather station that reads humidity and temperature. I was shocked when I powered it on and it said my humidity was 3%. Figuring this was a total mistake and it was broke I took the station back, getting a new one and it read 5%. So, I purchased a totally different model pool room humidity gauge and it pegged out at 10% humidity. (Lowest range it would go)

    So, I purchased a humidifier to add some moisture back into the air of my apartment. (Aparently it is drier than the Sahara Desert) But, I'm wondering what is an acceptable humidity to have for Home Theater equipment. I know too high is bad for electronics and I'm thinking too low might be bad for wood of loudspeakers and cones. I've read a few sites for comfort they say 35%-40% Would this range also be acceptable for audio equipment? Moreover, what would be better than acceptable?

    Thanks for the input.










  2. #2
    jco1385's Avatar
    jco1385 is offline expert jcologist



    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    18,118
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Temperature and Humidity?

    Quote Originally Posted by joetama View Post
    I've been having a lot of issues as of late with static electricity, dry skin, sinus issues, bloody nose, etc etc. So out of curiosity I purchased a weather station that reads humidity and temperature. I was shocked when I powered it on and it said my humidity was 3%. Figuring this was a total mistake and it was broke I took the station back, getting a new one and it read 5%. So, I purchased a totally different model pool room humidity gauge and it pegged out at 10% humidity. (Lowest range it would go)

    So, I purchased a humidifier to add some moisture back into the air of my apartment. (Aparently it is drier than the Sahara Desert) But, I'm wondering what is an acceptable humidity to have for Home Theater equipment. I know too high is bad for electronics and I'm thinking too low might be bad for wood of loudspeakers and cones. I've read a few sites for comfort they say 35%-40% Would this range also be acceptable for audio equipment? Moreover, what would be better than acceptable?

    Thanks for the input.
    congrats on 15k





    1994 Thunderbird
    JVC KD-AV7010
    Alpine 6x9 3-ways
    Pioneer 6x8 3-ways (rear)
    JVC CH-X1500 12-disc MP3 Changer
    Alpine Type X 12" 2 cubes @ 30hz
    MTX 404 runs the inside
    MTX 1501d runs the X
    Optima G75/25 RT up front
    2x Optima G31 YT in the trunk
    200a EA HO Alt (1/0 Big 3)
    ALL MY WIRE IS WELDING CABLE
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
    I always knew I was a feggot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashaddd View Post
    We're all feggots on the inside
    Quote Originally Posted by ToledoTom View Post
    I am sure the administration will be having a few words with you when they catch wind of your language.
    DO NOT SEND ME ANYTHING USING UPS. I WILL NOT DEAL WITH THEM EVER AGAIN
    OFFICIAL FEEDBACK THREAD

  3. #3
    joetama's Avatar
    joetama is offline The British Ear

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    15,306
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Temperature and Humidity?

    Oh sweet I didn't even really notice... I saw that I was getting close, but didn't know I hopped the hurdle...







  4. #4
    JimJ's Avatar
    JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    31,681
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Temperature and Humidity?

    I'll ask on AudioAsylum, it's an interesting question...I've never paid it much thought.




  5. #5
    joetama's Avatar
    joetama is offline The British Ear

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    15,306
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Temperature and Humidity?

    The tank which is supposed to last 48 hours has now been filled twice and my meters are reading 23%.

    It actually is easier to breath, the air doesn't feel like sand paper in my nose.

    I'm going to run it to 35% and see what that is like.







  6. #6
    JimJ's Avatar
    JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    31,681
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Temperature and Humidity?

    http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mp...neral&m=531374

    Seems like you're in the ballpark with 35-40%.




  7. #7
    zack39648's Avatar
    zack39648 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    mccomb, ms
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,875
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Temperature and Humidity?

    dam down here in the south the humidity is 80%+ dam near all year round .... my eletronic equipment works fine ...

    edit: its 87% right now!




  8. #8
    joetama's Avatar
    joetama is offline The British Ear

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    15,306
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Temperature and Humidity?

    Man I need to get some plants or something... This **** humidifier is running 24/7 using 2 tubs of water a day and the humidity is still running low as ****...

    I wonder if the wood floor is sucking up all the moisture since it has been dry for so **** long....







  9. #9
    ballstothewall's Avatar
    ballstothewall is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Kansas (KSU)
    Posts
    3,054
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Temperature and Humidity?

    I doubt the wood floor is contributing that much to it really... I think it just mainly has to do with the outside temp being so much colder than the inside.



    Kicking the tires, Lighting the fires.

  10. #10
    joetama's Avatar
    joetama is offline The British Ear

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    15,306
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Temperature and Humidity?

    Quote Originally Posted by ballstothewall View Post
    I doubt the wood floor is contributing that much to it really... I think it just mainly has to do with the outside temp being so much colder than the inside.
    Could be, the humidity outside is 67% however... I guess if you factor in the 20 degree to 72 degree change it makes sense.







  11. #11
    ballstothewall's Avatar
    ballstothewall is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Kansas (KSU)
    Posts
    3,054
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Temperature and Humidity?

    Considering that the amount of water that 20* air can hold vs the amount that 72* air can hold it sounds perfectly logical.



    Kicking the tires, Lighting the fires.

  12. #12
    GAM3OVR's Avatar
    GAM3OVR is offline Jeka is Back



    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Russia
    Age
    24
    Posts
    7,098
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Temperature and Humidity?

    I need to buy me a humidifier. I seem to have the same symptoms you have mentioned in OG post.

    Denver, is dry as fawk.



    REFS:
    Sold to: stevew007, Worstenemy453, HelloImBob, All_Rice, Durney, sixfootman2005, jaes90, d-REW, RidnClean, Pbateman
    Bought from: Lousiana_crx, 96impala, KHARPS, Pjvoc, WhiteIce, Dvcevoblack, Jrgreene1968, Zack39648, Dave_Damage, Freelander, Connersdad19, Slammed, Ali1, TeamSouthrnBass, RXZILLA, oldschool4me, Fusion_FREAK, Simpsonbuck, Acex3a, jaredspl, JEXTEL, jamesw, orangelss, Ridinhi, 01 S 10, jmkanek, luv2shrOOm, braggpawn, sub2weeker, tv559, Alanhall,
    Traded with: Duece212, cleansoundz, kcdc30, got_focus?, 90accordman, BASS_WARRIOR, crazyman03,

    Smurfygotmojo=scammer!!!

  13. #13
    joetama's Avatar
    joetama is offline The British Ear

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    15,306
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Temperature and Humidity?

    Quote Originally Posted by ballstothewall View Post
    Considering that the amount of water that 20* air can hold vs the amount that 72* air can hold it sounds perfectly logical.
    Welcome to Ohio I guess...

    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectPechkin View Post
    I need to buy me a humidifier. I seem to have the same symptoms you have mentioned in OG post.

    Denver, is dry as fawk.
    Never been there... But, it does seem to help. I've been sleeping a hell of a lot better as well.







  14. #14
    jmanpc's Avatar
    jmanpc is offline CA.com Nostalgist.



    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,265
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Temperature and Humidity?

    I love living in Florida where I can more or less bathe in the air year round.




    2007 Red Ford Focus ZX4 SE
    - Clarion DXZ955MC -
    - MB Quart RSD216 - 2 MB Quart RWE-354 in 4 cubic feet sealed -
    - MB Quart DSC4125 - Audiopipe AP1500.1D - Optima Blue Top -

    Team High Sexage

  15. #15
    joetama's Avatar
    joetama is offline The British Ear

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    15,306
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Temperature and Humidity?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmanpc View Post
    I love living in Florida where I can more or less bathe in the air year round.
    Bastard.... Humid and hot in the summer dry and cold in the winter... And fall and spring are a nasty mix of both...







Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum