Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Question about speaker placement

Intercooler is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question about speaker placement

Fronts and rears. Def Tech said the fronts should be 2x the distance from the viewing area to the flat panel. That would be about 24' which I don't have to work with. I have my sectional in one corner and could possibly put the rears behind it on stands but that would be cutting out the left side by like 6' or more. If I go out to the wall and put that one there it would use the whole room. The way my front wall is I have stairs going down on the right and up on the left. I can only get about 6' on the front wall for distance if I mount them to the extreme edge near the flat. The other option is to jump across the stair openings and put them to that wall which would give me perfect cornering on the left but the right side would be a little wider than a perfect square since that wall sits back about 6" more on the right side. Any thoughts?

2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe
    HU- Eclipse CD-5000
    F&R Amp- MB Quart Qaa4250 1000 Watt 4-Channel
    F- CDT HD52 5.25" With 1" Silk Tweets and M-6 6.5" Mids In The Doors(Three Way)
    R- CDT M-6's
    Sub Amp- Hifonics BXi2006D Brutus 2000 Watt D Mono
    Subs- (2) FI-Q 12" in a 1.26 Cu^Ft./Per Side Unported Box
    Battery- Kinetic 1400
    House- Samsung 4665F/Def Tech Mythos 8's/Dayton 15" Sub Kit/Onkyo 605/Harmony 890
    Refs: B-06stxf150, S-tmcilroy, B-lastcall

docutech is offline NC Native

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Question about speaker placement

Sometimes I wonder if those Def Tech guys have any sense at all

Your fronts should be the same distance from you (the listening area) as the distance they are from each other. Emagine a triangle, this is the shape your fronts should be with your listening position.

As far as the other question about rears goes, what there something wrong with this thread?

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243300

This is still your dillema right?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yup! Weird room layout!

HU- Eclipse CD-5000
    R- CDT M-6's
    Battery- Kinetic 1400
    House- Samsung 4665F/Def Tech Mythos 8's/Dayton 15" Sub Kit/Onkyo 605/Harmony 890

joetama is offline The British Ear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is no "perfect" way that speakers will go into a room.

Docutech is right about where to get started. But, it might not be the optimal setup for your room (most likely it isn't). Set the speakers according to how Docutech said, or as close to it as you can come. Then, play some material that you are very familiar with. Tweek the location, skew, and level until you have the best sound.

Maybe it is just me, but if I move my speakers I spend a long time trying to get them back into that 'perfect' place where they interact with the wall the least and give the best imaging...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I figure pictures are worth more than words so even though this room isn't near done here goes:

http://img514.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scf1861ll6.jpg

In that picture the circles mark the spot I can mount one of the 1000's behind the sectional on a stand or wall mount or in the corner using either wall at ear level. Also in this picture marked with the squares are possible locations for the subwoofer. Either beside the sectional or caddy corner.

http://img514.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scf1860kg0.jpg

In that photo I can do a stand again behind the sectional or use either wall in the picture. As you can see the sectional sits about half wall to the end.

http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scf1859ya5.jpg

In that picture you can see where I can jump over the stairs and put one of the 1000's by the door. Kind of far but the only other option is on the wall with the flat.

http://img184.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scf1858fn3.jpg

In this one you can see where I can place the 1000's to either side of the flat or the wall to the right where the door is open. I forgot to mark it with an X but over by the picture. For those fronts it is the far out walls or right by the flat.

Ideas, suggestions??

HU- Eclipse CD-5000
    R- CDT M-6's
    Battery- Kinetic 1400

docutech is offline NC Native

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the visual. Now we know what you have to work with.

Not a lot of space thats for sure.

Idea A:

If you plan on keeping the TV where it is now, invest in some Pro stands for the fronts. You will have a lot more "flexibility" in speaker positioning and the speakers do not have to be in line with the TV. They can be away from the wall.

Also, as comfy as it looks, that couch sure does occupy a lot of your rooms realestate. I would throw a couple of chairs in there to replace it. If replacing the couch is out of the question, Is it possible to move the sectional away from the wall lets say 2 feet? That would also give you more of a surround effect and eliminate the need for the surrounds to be right in your ears.

Idea B:

What if you hang the TV on the wall where the couch is?

Would there be enough space to go around the couch and up the stairs(to the left of the couch)? Would you be able to open that door? Would you be able to go into the room on the right?

What if you didnt put the couch all the way against the wall (where the tv hangs now)

Moving the couch away from the wall (a couple of feet) would eliminate people walking in front of you during a movie. This idea would also benefit from a set of speaker Pro stands for the fronts at least. Pro mounts for the surround satellites will be a must. You can locate your sub directly under the TV in this idea or on the left/right wall. Stay away from the corners.

Whacha think?

joetama is offline The British Ear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Humpf...

Doesn't have much to work with there...

Speaker stands FTW...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hate this house! I hope to get it finished up and sell the **** thing but until then I have to work with it. Unfortunately that couch can't go on over where the flat is. One problem is their is a vent there and the bigger one is it would be the first thing in-line as soon as you open the front door. It would also block the path to the other side going to the kitchen and bathroom. The rear wall where the sectional is I could move it down another 1-2 feet to center it on that wall if it would help matters. I have come to the conclusion that just purely due to how weird this room is I will be stuck with less than optimum positioning but until I move I will at least have the pieces. I really wanted to keep it all clean looking by not having stands exposed or the sub in a weird place. I bought Omni Mount 10's to put the speakers up but could use stands behind the sectional somehow.

HU- Eclipse CD-5000
    R- CDT M-6's
    Battery- Kinetic 1400

Closed Thread