Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Reload Thread: Loudness War!!!!!!

  1. #1
    joetama's Avatar
    joetama is offline The British Ear



    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    15,306
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Loudness War!!!!!!

    Here is a very interesting little tid bit that I found today.

    On lower quality speakers this really isn't that noticeable unless played a/b like they have done, BUT, when I play many of my Vinyl Records vs the same album 'digitally remastered' on CD there is a big difference. The Power Station is a perfect example of this. This is one of the reasons why.

    Check it out...

    Forum
    http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=26696

    Article
    http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/33549

    Video
    http://funl.blogspot.com/2007/06/loudness-war.html










  2. #2
    djman37's Avatar
    djman37 is offline SOLID



    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    8,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loudness War!!!!!!

    i had a couple of U2 Cd singles that were clipped to h3ll. BAD recordings. No headroom in digital.



    Doug Blohm
    Team Southern Bass

  3. #3
    wesl56's Avatar
    wesl56 is offline el sietes!



    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NoFl
    Posts
    2,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loudness War!!!!!!

    yeah i heard that TV stations use that too... they brodcast the shows in the wider band and then play the commercials in a narrower i guess "compressed" format so they seem much louder than the show u were watching




  4. #4
    1loudsuv's Avatar
    1loudsuv is offline WHATS A HOME THEATER?



    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    west
    Posts
    1,855
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loudness War!!!!!!

    This is exactly what I am getting while listining to a cd. I have to usually turn it up to loud to be able to enjoy the music.

    but if both are mastered the same wont cd have the edge?

    so pretty much all this is saying is the cd is getting ****** masters.

    I know in the hd dvd/blu ray world some get better masters then others.




  5. #5
    newusername's Avatar
    newusername is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    dg
    Posts
    3,725
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loudness War!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by 1loudsuv View Post
    This is exactly what I am getting while listining to a cd. I have to usually turn it up to loud to be able to enjoy the music.
    I think you're misunderstanding the loudness war. The music is actually louder from the get go as the crest factor (or dynamic range) is reduced. You can't gain or lose any detail by turning your volume up, either, as it's lost.

    What's really funny is when they take a quality mastering and re-master it into something worse. It's an ongoing issue rarely discussed outside of the production world.




  6. #6
    1loudsuv's Avatar
    1loudsuv is offline WHATS A HOME THEATER?



    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    west
    Posts
    1,855
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loudness War!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Punk0Rama View Post
    I think you're misunderstanding the loudness war. The music is actually louder from the get go as the crest factor (or dynamic range) is reduced. You can't gain or lose any detail by turning your volume up, either, as it's lost.
    No I get what they are talking about, I have to turn it up just to hear certain things. hands down any concert I have on hd dvd or blu ray sounds way better then on cd. Usually with cd I listining to it at volume -45 or so and If I really want to hear all the instruments I have to turn it up to about -30. Now while listning to a concert say on blu ray like NiN I usually have it at -33 or so, and it is not loud at all and sounds very detailed and smooth.




  7. #7
    joetama's Avatar
    joetama is offline The British Ear

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    15,306
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loudness War!!!!!!

    Well LIVE is always going to be a whole different animal than studio.

    A **** ton of live stuff ***** anus juice... However if you have a REALLY good FOH (Front of House, the guy who mixes the show) guy then it rocks. Primus Hallucino-Genetics is a perfect example of what I am saying. But, live also depends on the band being able to play live as well as their 'over processed' studio sound. Many bands today **** so much that if they had a live DVD it would sound terrible. But, most of the people that listen to those bands really have no clue so, whats the use.

    Really actually what is causing this problem is producers and engineers relying so heavily on a compressor. Many people who have worked in the audio industry can hear the compressor 'sound' if you look for it and it amazes me when I listen to a CD and hear the squash sound. It just kills me...

    CD may have much more dynamic range than vinyl, but **** vinyl usually uses it.. LAWL...







  8. #8
    djman37's Avatar
    djman37 is offline SOLID



    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    8,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loudness War!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by wesl56 View Post
    yeah i heard that TV stations use that too... they brodcast the shows in the wider band and then play the commercials in a narrower i guess "compressed" format so they seem much louder than the show u were watching
    TV STATIONS don't. The commercials' audio is like that, normalized and dynamic range reduced to seem louder. I hate it.



    Doug Blohm
    Team Southern Bass

  9. #9
    mtlhead's Avatar
    mtlhead is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loudness War!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by B&W_EE View Post
    Well LIVE is always going to be a whole different animal than studio.

    A **** ton of live stuff ***** anus juice... However if you have a REALLY good FOH (Front of House, the guy who mixes the show) guy then it rocks. Primus Hallucino-Genetics is a perfect example of what I am saying. But, live also depends on the band being able to play live as well as their 'over processed' studio sound. Many bands today **** so much that if they had a live DVD it would sound terrible. But, most of the people that listen to those bands really have no clue so, whats the use.

    Really actually what is causing this problem is producers and engineers relying so heavily on a compressor. Many people who have worked in the audio industry can hear the compressor 'sound' if you look for it and it amazes me when I listen to a CD and hear the squash sound. It just kills me...

    CD may have much more dynamic range than vinyl, but **** vinyl usually uses it.. LAWL...
    Yea, most producers rely on compressors now...and that "breathing" sound annoys the **** out of me when i hear it. You really need a good mastering engineer, otherwise they'll destroy a GREAT mix. I understand that compressors are needed to get the volume up to a reasonable level..but when it starts to effect the quality of the mix, thats when you know you have a bad mastering engineer.

    Vinyl has a dynamic range of 64dB, whereas CDs are 96dB, but when you get digital distortion, it adds odd order harmonics, which gives you that nasty sound, as opposed to the analog (with tubes) distortion where it just gives that extra "bite" which a lot of people want



    Yes, my membership on CA.com makes me a certified lawyer

    Quote Originally Posted by bahn4lyfe View Post
    THERE AINT NO ZOOS HERE IN THE HOOD. WHY DONT YOU BRING YOUR MOM OUT HERE AND I'LL STICK MY FACE IN HER **** AND MY **** IN HER ***
    Quote Originally Posted by SyKo13 View Post
    Yea, brown spooge FTW
    2 TC 1000 8"s, 2000 watts, 1.6 cu ft @ 36 Hz = 139.5 DEEBEEZ
    Pioneer 7900BT

    Bought: vette1, dru, ibanezcollector (ECA), Bumpin Ben Wallace (Sound Domain)
    Sold: dleccord, Hustler904, busabob, NMBR1SPT

    100% on ebay

  10. #10
    joetama's Avatar
    joetama is offline The British Ear

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    15,306
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loudness War!!!!!!

    Well Compressors were originally designed to increase the dynamic range.

    If you had a PA with less dynamic range than you needed for example you used lets say a 2:1 compressor so that you could match the dynamic range of the mix to the PAs capabilities.







  11. #11
    thylantyr's Avatar
    thylantyr is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    [Yoda] Belong to us all your base are...
    Posts
    1,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loudness War!!!!!!

    My first CD player was in 1984, in a high powered, high SQ car audio system, full range of
    course, not just boom boom bass like everyone else has.

    Right away you can tell the difference between different recordings, some CD's
    were bad, some were great.

    ... and this is news in year 2007 ?



    lol





  12. #12
    Beat_Dominator's Avatar
    Beat_Dominator is offline Yea, thats Mecha Godzilla



    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Phoenix Arizona
    Age
    31
    Posts
    21,986
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loudness War!!!!!!

    I think I posted a link to one of those 3 articles a few months back.

    It's a shame CD has that huge dynamic range capability but these ******* engineers are limithing it to less than 11dB of dynamic range most of the time!



    Comming Spring 2009


    I make rear-loaded, double crabshell, isobaric enclosures.

  13. #13
    azbass's Avatar
    azbass is offline the salty ca.com mod



    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    34,922
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loudness War!!!!!!

    I ares louder then teh beat dominator




  14. #14
    adam71's Avatar
    adam71 is offline P9 = Ultimate SQ



    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,795
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loudness War!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by djman37 View Post
    i had a couple of U2 Cd singles that were clipped to h3ll. BAD recordings. No headroom in digital.
    What?? No headroom?? The CD format itself has plenty of headroom, alot more than vinyl could ever dream of. It's the morons engineering these CDs that are doing it WRONG !!!



    Source Unit: Pioneer P9 combo
    Tweeters: CDT DRT-25 Silk
    Mids: CDT ES-5 (5.25")
    Midbass: CDT M6 (6.5")
    Subs: Pioneer TS-W12PRS
    Mid & Tweet amp: Pioneer PRS-X340
    Midbass Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720
    Sub Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720

  15. #15
    adam71's Avatar
    adam71 is offline P9 = Ultimate SQ



    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,795
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loudness War!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by B&W_EE View Post
    Here is a very interesting little tid bit that I found today.

    On lower quality speakers this really isn't that noticeable unless played a/b like they have done, BUT, when I play many of my Vinyl Records vs the same album 'digitally remastered' on CD there is a big difference. The Power Station is a perfect example of this. This is one of the reasons why.

    One thing to note is that all formats can have bad recordings as much as all can have great recordings. I know for a fact that you have a very nice stand alone CD player which you would NOT own if there were NO good CD recordings. I know you know this but some guys on here might not. The CD format has/had the potential to be head and shoulders above vinyl but sadly this format has not been taken advantage of fully except for a few studios that decided to do it right.

    In short: A CD recorded the right way blows away any vinyl recording. IMHO of course.


    Discrete stereo >>> Matrixed stereo



    Source Unit: Pioneer P9 combo
    Tweeters: CDT DRT-25 Silk
    Mids: CDT ES-5 (5.25")
    Midbass: CDT M6 (6.5")
    Subs: Pioneer TS-W12PRS
    Mid & Tweet amp: Pioneer PRS-X340
    Midbass Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720
    Sub Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum