Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: How does a HT sub setup sound with music?

CJL
    CJL is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)

How does a HT sub setup sound with music?

For those of you you run a sub in a big low(~20hz) tuned box for HT,does it sound good with music in the 30-45hz range?

REFS:
    eatank,mikescanlon,BoominBeast,Pistonsfan70,90accordman,bizflawless,Mazdakid,Boyle465,LiquidClen,dman4486,
    KickerSoItBump, SPY,1000101,infamous_e46

Bought-Sold-Traded

joetama is offline The British Ear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: How does a HT sub setup sound with music?

I don't personally... I run a sealed 10" MartinLogan...

However, if you have configured it properly it should be fine to use with music...

asaner85 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have a 12" Ava in 3cuft tuned to 24hz with 500W and It sounds great. It blends in perfectly with teh dual 5.25 up front. If you have it setup properly it should sound great.

JL Audio 300/2
    Infinity bassLINK

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/506533/1

1loudsuv is offline WHATS A HOME THEATER?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

mine has killer bass! and sounds very detailed. i would say most cars out their dont have as much bass as i do in my room lol other day i was watching start wars return of the jedi and my girl was giving my kid a bath and my roomates kid starts running around screaming in one of the scenes were their was a bunch of bass lol sad to say my girl told me to turn it down and i was only at -20

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1loudsuv View Post
    mine has killer bass! and sounds very detailed. i would say most cars out their dont have as much bass as i do in my room lol other day i was watching start wars return of the jedi and my girl was giving my kid a bath and my roomates kid starts running around screaming in one of the scenes were their was a bunch of bass lol sad to say my girl told me to turn it down and i was only at -20
    Sounds like there is a **** ton of people that live in your house....

I have a comment but it is probably offensive... So I'll just chuckle to myself...

PatFitz9 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

my stereo in my room can rattle the windows. and yeah, they sound good with music. i prefer my home stereo to my car.

refs...
    twoohfour, PRIVATEpastry, hellomota, DBfan187, etznova, iamamp3pimp, btnhfan, XylerB, Digital B, Showrides, Thunder9500, Termlab, fawd06, PepsiFiend69, bholtmeier, Megalomaniac, bjfish11, j3bus2k3, probmxstyle, brigante, massiveaudiocw, JoeHemi57, BigRed98Ram, inapontiac, CFaber, VarsityBumper, 3.5Max6spd, Geezerpoop, phatcat600, Pimpdaddyq, XaznKewLguyX, ABSOLUTEAUDIO, lslugz, mgbcs, TeZ, mazdakid, Reson8, LaserRed38

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by B&W_EE View Post
    Sounds like there is a **** ton of people that live in your house....

I have a comment but it is probably offensive... So I'll just chuckle to myself...
    its actually me my son and my girl and my roomate and his wife and their two kids in a 3 bedroom house and big big playing room just that my room is next to the kids playing room and i guess they heard the bass a little too loud lol my roomate doesnt care he actually thinks its cool lol

yah probably comment about how us beaners usually have like 10 people in a 1 bedroom apartment lol and trust me ive lived with my dad my sister and my brother in a single a house not till the future, girl has to finish school to become an RN... then will most likely get a house

adio is offline THE STEREOTYPE FIGHTER!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

out of what, -100 - 0, -70 - 0, -80 - +10 ??? what is your sub level at on ur receiver?

refs= springy101 <-- ultimate buyer, jmanpc(sold stereo), pwnt by pat <---the ultimate installer, PV audio and ionsql(box designs), toxic tuan (crystal comps), hazardous0388 (8" TB's), backthepack(jbl1200.1), bamavoo (sold profile ap1000M), rashadd (box plans in time of need), bassaddictj (jl xr mids), louisiana_crx(traded amps for DD comps), revrider1 (traded tc sub for RE sub and amp), jcldallas24 (bought jbl 1200.1), boomsday (2.3 cu ft tuned to 32hz), UMWDawg92 (sold kenwood stereo)
    fuq with adio, get your money/product that completely works........GUARANTEED!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

its actually me my son and my girl and my roomate and his wife and their two kids in a 3 bedroom house and big big playing room just that my room is next to the kids playing room and i guess they heard the bass a little too loud lol my roomate doesnt care he actually thinks its cool lol

yah probably comment about how us beaners usually have like 10 people in a 1 bedroom apartment lol and trust me ive lived with my dad my sister and my brother in a single a house not till the future, girl has to finish school to become an RN... then will most likely get a house
    Ahhh HAAA I was right....

Just kidding mang... You have to do what you have to do!!!

thylantyr is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How does a HT sub setup sound with music?

Performance depends on the design of the sub, etc.
    If you want to make your own sub, then just make
    the best design with the budget and see {model} what kind of
    performance numbers you can extract.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adio View Post
    out of what, -100 - 0, -70 - 0, -80 - +10 ??? what is your sub level at on ur receiver?
    the lower the number the louder it gets. it starts distorting at around -5 the highs and i dont have the lfe hooked up to the towers just runing them straight from the speaker connection with the gains half way. they do get louder then what i had them though.

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1169 Post(s)

Last sub was a dual Tempest sonosub tuned to 17Hz and it pounded when playing music.

Did 4 Tempests IB and it was way more musical, blended better, but didn't have the same punch as the ported box.

Running the 4 Tempests ported now and it POUNDS!!!

thadman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That is far too general of a question to be able to extract any valid conclusions...

How big is the persons room? Where is the sub placed in the room? What room treatments do you have/how is it exciting the air in your room? What is the Qtc of the sub? What dB level? Wheres your HP/LP? What sub are you using? How much power? Are you using equalization? What are you crossing the sub to, bookshelves/towers? How steep are your crossovers? etc etc etc

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong. - Richard Feynman

IamDeMan is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A good sub, is a good sub. I have a hard time making the distinction between a good "ht" sub and a good "music" sub. If you select the proper driver that can extend low in large tuned enlcosures without producing anomolies, then why wouldn't it work for music as well as movies? Also with processing, you can always give it a boost in that frequency range if you find it lacking.

thylantyr is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IamDeMan View Post
    A good sub, is a good sub. I have a hard time making the distinction between a good "ht" sub and a good "music" sub. If you select the proper driver that can extend low in large tuned enlcosures without producing anomolies, then why wouldn't it work for music as well as movies? Also with processing, you can always give it a boost in that frequency range if you find it lacking.
    Right now on the AVS forum, there is a comedy debate with the 'gurus' of subwoofer and they want single digit hertz playback, <5hz and the argument is
    that ported boxes will have issues down low vs. woofer modeling claims.

People are finding very low frequency content on recordings, some stuff near
    1 hz and they assume it was recorded this way on purpose, therefore your
    audio system should playback that stuff.

I pretty much know what they are debating about, it's comedy really. There are
    some clues that the material recorded that far low is not really put there on
    purpose by the studios, it could be artifacts. If so, where do they come from?
    I offered a silly suggestion that nobody looked at. Special effects are usually
    real live recordings of 'stuff' and when that sound is altered in the studio,
    they probably don't filter out the very low frequency garbage and it makes its
    way into the final recording. Wind blowing on the microphone may cause VLF,
    who knows. One guy emailed a studio and the guy said that if you find
    stuff < 20hz in their recordings, most likely they didn't put in there on purpose.

This came about because the fan sub is rated down to 1hz and the few people
    that auditioned the sub claim there is a perception down low. One guy how
    just finished his uber HT theater tried to get that fan sub installed but his
    HT room was too small to qualify for an install. It cost $25k to get the fan sub.

One camp claims that you should try to go to 'DC' on playback and ported
    boxes just won't work well. You have port issues down low and what not.

The other camp says 'Fvck that', sacrifice the VLF and gain more SPL in
    the higher bass region with ported designs because that VLF material
    is just 'junk'.

There is also an argument that certain music instruments measured, go down low.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List