Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Panasonic Plasma

naiku is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Panasonic Plasma

Looking to pick up a new TV in the next few weeks, and trying to find out the difference between the following Panasonic models:

TH-50PX60U and TH-50PX600U

I see that the 600U is 1080p compatible (via direct input, although not 100% sure what this means) and has better built in sound (although I will ulimately be using external speakers) and a cable card slot / PC input (not that I can see me using either of these).

Which is a newer model? is the 600U worth the price increase over the 60U?

1loudsuv is offline WHATS A HOME THEATER?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Panasonic Plasma

gay if it accepts 1080p input but native is only 1366x768 paying extra for no dam reason at all. other then you can tell friends that dont know about it that your tv is 1080p but it really isnt. try looking for another tv with native 1,920x1,080 resolution

joetama is offline The British Ear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm sure that companies do that because they build in a cheap picture side of things but want their TV to be "1080p" so they can market it as super BFA......

TXST8tj is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i'm not a fan of plasmas in general, but if you're going to buy one, you're doing right by panasonic as they are the leader of the pack in that technology.

HD DVD is currently only 720p (unless through an Xbox 360 with HD DVD player, which is 1080p). the HD DVD discs are 1080p, but so far, the players are only 720p. the next wave of players will be 1080p

those are basically the same TVs. neither model is 1080p. both are 720p/1080i. the 600 has the cable card slot and pc input, and little different built in speaker.
    it is definietly not worth the $500 price difference for the 600.

a cable card slot is a nice bonus feature, but if you like having DVR from your cable company, it won't work. not to mention, the cards don't get all the channels either. if you have sat. dish, it's obviously worthless all together.

PC input is another cool feature, but unless you plan to use it as a computer monitor, i wouldn't make it the ultimate selling point.
    Last edited by TXST8tj; 11-15-2006 at 04:37 PM.

2003 Chevrolet Suburban

1loudsuv is offline WHATS A HOME THEATER?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^^ some good info but

hd-dvd players even the a1 is not 720p only! its 1080 "I" and if you got a good 1080p tv it di-interlaces the signal and turns it into 1080 "p"

thats waht the samsung blu ray player does but internally. but it doesnt do it well. most tvs do a better job at it

and yes the new hd-dvd players will be 1080p but pq is probably just slightly better from 1080 i to 1080p look at the cnet reviews

springy101 is offline village idiot/racist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i have the 60u, and i love it. no burn in or any other problems, its great.

I must follow in eugenics' footsteps, for he is great

Ref's: Ebay

VOA_NIGHTMARE, Blados, frankga2, allenzo, bamaboy x2, Crown_amps, violentrapture, adio x3, bumpin_blazer, fi car audio, haunther, sbcaprice305 x2

TXST8tj is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1loudsuv View Post
    ^^ some good info but

hd-dvd players even the a1 is not 720p only! its 1080 "I" and if you got a good 1080p tv it di-interlaces the signal and turns it into 1080 "p"

thats waht the samsung blu ray player does but internally. but it doesnt do it well. most tvs do a better job at it

and yes the new hd-dvd players will be 1080p but pq is probably just slightly better from 1080 i to 1080p look at the cnet reviews
    most TVs will upconvert to their native resolution better than the source device, but since the two sets he is looking at are not 1080p, it's a mute point for him.

2003 Chevrolet Suburban

naiku is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all the info, I get a nice (35%) discount from Panasonic though work. I have satellite at home, and don't have any plans to use the PC input. Will be getting external speakers, so looking like the 60U at the moment.

Closed Thread