Closed Thread

Reload Thread: A Few More Questions

skirch56 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A Few More Questions

Alright, crossovers
    ok, it says that a two way crossover, you wire in a 8 ohm read from a midbass, and a 8 ohm read for the tweeter, then the crossover produces an overall 8 ohm read to the amp. Now say i wire to four ohm mid bass together for an 8 ohm read, now my power needs are different between tweeter and midbass pair, my question is does the crossover redistribute power based on speaker need?
    How do i chose how many Hz in a crossover (2,2.5,3,3.5 . . .)?
    Also what is a good sounding, but inexpensive tweeter?
    What should i look for in a good audio subwoofer (thinking Tang Bang 8)?
    Needless to say, i'm sorta confused.

joetama is offline The British Ear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: A Few More Questions

Alright, crossovers
    ok, it says that a two way crossover, you wire in a 8 ohm read from a midbass, and a 8 ohm read for the tweeter, then the crossover produces an overall 8 ohm read to the amp. Now say i wire to four ohm mid bass together for an 8 ohm read, now my power needs are different between tweeter and midbass pair, my question is does the crossover redistribute power based on speaker need?

It, in a perfect case (which doesn't exist because of sloping and impedance rise and phasing for the drivers) would see a 8 ohm load for the tweeter frequencies above the crossover point and a 4 ohm load for the woofer frequencies below the crossover point. Also, you can't just leave the caps and inductors the same when changing the driver load because it changes the resonate frequency of the circuit, which changes the crossover points. For example, in a first order 6db sloped Butterworth crossover designed for two 8 ohm drivers and a crossover frequency of 2 kHz you have around a 10 microfarad cap and a .63 millihenry inductor. However if you change the woofer to 4 ohms the tweeter crossover remains the same while the woofer crossover goes down to 1kHz.

How do i chose how many Hz in a crossover (2,2.5,3,3.5 . . .)?

This is based on the driver specs. But a good place to start is anywhere from 1.6kHz to 3kHz.

Also what is a good sounding, but inexpensive tweeter?

The tweeter is the most important part of the system. Vifa, Morel, Tang Bang, higher end Daytons are all decent. I guess what I would need to know is HOW inexpensive are you talking about and what are you looking at using these speakers for?

What should i look for in a good audio subwoofer (thinking Tang Bang 8)?

Depends on what you are planning to do with it. Are you going to make this your dedicated subwoofer or are you using it for the woofer in you two-way design?

skirch56 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alright, i am building this system for home audio, i want it to sound good to the untrained ear. here is my shopping cart at parts express . . .

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/baske...ase.cfm?&DID=7

I know i didnt chose the high end brands, but this will still sound decent in a small room right?
    I plan on:
    two subs, two 5 inch midrange, and one tweeter in each front tower
    two 5 inch midrange and and one tweeter in surround speakers
    four 4 inch midrange and one tweeter in center
    Also the plate amp to subs will be placed in one of the towers.
    What else is required between speakers and reciever other than the crossover.
    Also, a pair of the midrange chosen runs 150 rms, where the tweeter only runs 40, how is this supposed to work?

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

We can't view your shopping cart, you need to post it in here...

Closed Thread