Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 use of a transformer?

I have some pro-audio outdoor speakers that use built-in transformers to manage impedence. These units are beautifully built and look amazing btw, a really nice product that's perfect for my needs.

Anyone know how the transformers effect the sound quality?

(FYI: They are PASO Sound's C55DMSTW model, http://www.pasosound.com/PDF/PF211_PASO.pdf page 37)

buildmeabox is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: use of a transformer?

The transformer allows the installer to connect more than one speaker in parallel to a single output, I've seen up to 20. The trick is the amp must have a 70volt or 25 volt output in order to connect to a speaker with a transformer. You can bypass the transformer, if possible just select 8 ohms or if available 4ohms.

Transformers do not effect the sound reproduction at all. They are designed for comercial use where a stereo signal is not needed. You will normally find this type of speakers in your local hospital, wallmarts and the type you have in a patio at a nice bar & grill, connected to a mono amp.

If you have any ??? pm me as don't frequent this area.

Good Luck

[IMG][/IMG]Your true character is revealed by the clarity of your convictions, the choices you make, and the promises you keep. Hold strongly to your principles and refuse to follow the currents of convenience. What you say and do defines who you are, and who you are...you are for ever.

joetama is offline The British Ear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: use of a transformer?

Another purpose with 70volt line setups is when you are going to have the speakers a long distance away from the amp. You have much less loss using the voltage system than running a regular impedance setup.

As for the transformer, if it is a good quality transformer then the loss in it should be minimal or meaning that you will not notice an audible difference.

You can just bi-pass the transformer if you don't have an amp that is 70volt and the speakers are going to be some what close to the amp.

Closed Thread

User Tag List