Reload Thread: Sony Execs Proudly Display Blu-Ray

thylantyr is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sony Execs Proudly Display Blu-Ray

/teh funnay

http://gearlog.com/blogs/gearlog/arc.../16/11622.aspx

UPDATE: Many readers are saying that this story was faked. Well, I'm here to tell you it's far from a lie, and I have more pictures to prove it! In fact, since I enlarged the photo, we noticed that the DVD was actually a DVD+R, not a DVD-R!

PC Magazine's Lance Ulanoff attended a Sony event and unlocked a secret. Here is his account:

Sony celebrated a decade of VAIO innovation at the way-out-of-the-way Guest House club in NYC last night. It was your typical self-congratulatory fest, replete with speeches, large posters lauding early product development (of the first purple VAIO and the ultra thin 505 laptop) and even a huge, 70-pound VAIO laptop cake (left). I tried some and the faux magnesium chassis tasted like tin foil—blech.

There were, of course, some more recent vintage products on display like the Sony VAIO XL2 Digital Living System but the true stars of last night's event were Blu-ray, a new Blu-ray VAIO (the AR) and a near-pocket-sized "Micro PC," the VAIO UX. The gorgeous, 17-inch laptop not only has a Blu-ray player, but the drive can even burn Blu-ray discs—a true first.

On one table Sony execs proudly displayed two ARs playing early Blu-ray content: The House of Flying Daggers (below). They even had the Blu-ray packaging. So exciting...but WAIT! I went ahead and ejected one of the Blu-ray drives to see my first Blu-ray disc. Instead, I found a crummy, old school DVD+R, complete with the Sharpie-written, House of Flying Daggers. Apparently even Sony can't get its hands on Blu-ray content!

Not only was it not Blu-Ray, it's a DVD, and it's a copy!

joetama is offline The British Ear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Sony Execs Proudly Display Blu-Ray

Why would you want Blue-Ray of that crummy movie..... If this did really happen someone is most likly going to lose his job over it....

adam71 is offline P9 = Ultimate SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Sony Execs Proudly Display Blu-Ray

Quote Originally Posted by thylantyr
    Instead, I found a crummy, old school DVD+R, complete with the Sharpie-written, House of Flying Daggers.
    How is that DVD+R old school?? I know DVDRs aren't brand new but they're still the latest consumer recordable medium on the market. I hope he was referring to this DVDR as compared to the new BluRay format.

Source Unit: Pioneer P9 combo
    Tweeters: CDT DRT-25 Silk
    Mids: CDT ES-5 (5.25")
    Midbass: CDT M6 (6.5")
    Subs: Pioneer TS-W12PRS
    Mid & Tweet amp: Pioneer PRS-X340
    Midbass Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720
    Sub Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720

Closed Thread