Here's my situation:
I have around $350 or so to spend on a quality HU. My goal is just really clear, awesome sounding music. I'm mostly into rock/progressive with my Outkast ATLiens album thrown in every once in a while. I'm NOT looking to have the loudest/biggest bumping system on the block --- just one that sounds GREAT (deep/rich/full sound).
My thought is this:
- I can avoid buying an amp if I have quality speakers and a high quality HU that can push enough RMS to the speakers. That said, I'm not opposed to adding an amp later (or now if it's absolutely necessary).
I purchased these speakers for my Nissan Frontier truck:
Front: Infinity Kappa 50.5CS (5.25") component
Rear: Infinity Kappa 42.5i (4") 2way
I'm now trying to figure out which HU to get:
I know a guy at a local shop here in LA and he's offered to hook me up with the Premier P8 for $320. I like the looks and have read several very positive reviews. Though, I am a bit weary about the giant knob in the middle and its ability to effectively navigate everything.
I also like the looks of the P770. I realize it's a step down, but it plays AAC (the format of several of my digital files). It also has more "regular buttons" including the radio presets, which seem easier to work with.
I looked at all of the '05 Alpines and have concluded that I don't like them as much. That said, what do I know -- if they are head and shoulders better sound than maybe I should reconsider.
My questions are:
- Is there a significant difference in sound quality between the P770 and P8?
- How much manual "tweaking" will be necessary to get really great sound with these decks?
- Am I crazy to think I don't need an amp? Is the 27 or 22 RMS from the HU enough to power my Kappa speakers?
- Should I just find a way to get the P860 (or the Pioneer 8600)? It gets great reviews here, but is it really necessary for my needs?
What's the best value for a guy like me?
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!