Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Help a newby decide!

gammasphere is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Help a newby decide!

Hi, I'm new when it comes to the car stereo world, although I have done a lot of reading up recently because I want to buy a new car stereo. You see, I am very particular when it comes to music, and I want audio playback that is perfectly (or as close to as possible) balanced and reproduced. I don't want obnoxious lows, I don't want ear-piercing highs. I want music-reproduction the way it was supposed to be heard: balanced, and in HIGH quality.
    So, I have gone through most major stereo brands and have found some that I think might work (I'd like to keep it under $350).
    They are as follows:
    Alpine CDA-9833
    Pioneer DEH-P80MP
    Clarion ProAudio DXZ555MP
    Clarion ProAudio DXZ655MP
    Nakamichi CD-400
    To give you a better idea of what I am looking for, these are the types of music I like: -Classical -Contemporary Rock (don't need it loud) -some Electronic -Contemporary Jazz -New Age -Acoustic
    I do not like a lot of bass, but I LOVE clarity... I do not care very much about looks (I just want it to look clean). I do want, however, elegance, CLARITY and QUALITY. I love extra gadgets, but want CLARITY and QUALITY first and foremost. Of these stereos, which would you recommend? I really need some guidance.
    Also, is there much difference between these two Clarion's as far as sound reproduction quality? And do you think that 18watts per channel would be enough sound or do you think I still should get an external amp for more clarity? (I want to run component front speakers and coaxial rears...no subs) Sorry this is so long, I just have a lot of questions as I am new to the whole car stereo scene. Thanks for any guidance you may have...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Help a newby decide!

This is going to be a pretty expensive hobby for you. ESP. if you're already looking a Nakamichi

Caraudio.com - Where the average member couldn't wire a SPST toggle if they had to.

More proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_as View Post
    I need a program or something that will help me find mounting depth without having to build box and such...
    No, Andy, I'm sure the context is fine.

Expy2000 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alpine!!!!

GRANDV is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

clarion DXZ-745

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I personally have a thing for eclipse, but I'm assuming you didn't list them for a reason.

Caraudio.com - Where the average member couldn't wire a SPST toggle if they had to.

More proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_as View Post
    I need a program or something that will help me find mounting depth without having to build box and such...
    No, Andy, I'm sure the context is fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverPunk
    I personally have a thing for eclipse, but I'm assuming you didn't list them for a reason.
    i too favor eclipse. if you haven't considered them, perhaps you should.
    i also like pioneer although i have no experience with newer models

--My truck: 2006 GMC 1500 crew cab, Kenwood DNX570HD, DLS front stage, JL JX1000.1, JL dual 8w3v3 microsub enclosure, Second Skin deadening.

--Wife's car: 2013 Chevrolet Impala LTZ, Kenwood DNX470, GermanMAESTRO components on CT125.2, 2x AT10"s on an AT800.1, RF Deadskin deadening.

--Work truck: 2014 GMC 2500 crew cab, Kenwood DNX470, Kenwood front stage, DD M1A on a pair of American Bass XD10s.

Pistonsfan70 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I HAD the Clarion DXZ745MP I loved it!! I love Clarion head units! They are VERY under-rated in my opinion. Easy to use, easy on the eyes and they perform!

Clarion VRX935VD head unit
    Diamond HEX S400A * S6.0mx3
    Diamond 10" D9 Subwoofer (for sale)
    NINe.4
    10" SS DA box, tuned to 36hz! (for sale)

Ca.com Feedback

forbidden is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nakamichi as good as the line was, is now out of business. This would make a warranty claim **** hard. My vote is for the tried and true Eclipse head units. Why? - a low impedence high voltage preamp for much better s/n ratio than pretty much all comers, a laser sled that is differentially mounted and tuned to a 19hz resonant frequency, a 3 year warranty and 1 year free replacement if it is stolen, is way easy to use and is not some light show in your dash. Most imporantly it was not manufactured to hit a price point like others are. The industry is in a race to the bottom to see who can sell their gear the cheapest. If this is what you want there are any number of companies that can supply with this kind of gear. Most cd player use the same tuner, laser transport and amplifier across the line, so if the bottom of the line that sells for $80.00 has the same basic guts as the $400.00 model, what kind of stellar build quality do you really get?

Eclipse - Alpine - Grundig - Denon for a good no frills SQ cd player.

Yeah, whatever

Closed Thread