Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pioneer 860mp pause feature WTF

I was about to buy this hu, but after reading the manual from the pioneer website, I changed my mind. I discovered that in order to pause, you have to press function and browse the menu until you get to the pause menu. WTF. What ever happened to the pause button? Even the remote doesn't have it. This is so retarded. It irritates the crap out of me because I like everthing else.

I actually played around with the 960mp and was impressed, but I hate the motorized face, so I considered the 860mp and the alpine 9835. I was able to mess around with the 9835 but not the 860, and I don't think I want to now. I have made up my mind. Alpine 9835 it is, unless if there is some magic word that makes the pioneer 860 pause. I'd get the 960 (it has a pause button) but it has a motorized face. Yuck. Another thing I don't like about pioneer is that you have to push a button a million times and go through all those silly animations just to get to the clock display. The 960 has a clock button, but it only displays on the "closed" faceplate and not the main display. So you have to close the face just to see the clock. Super tacky.

nismboy6986 is offline the **** technician

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Pioneer 860mp pause feature WTF

it does have a pause button on the remote its labeled something like "pgm" or something. if you leave the "function" menu on the "pause" mode. just pressing the multicontrol 3 times will make it pause. the control the headunit is alot like the i-drive for bmw's but you will get use to it.

Car: '97 Crown Victoria P71
    HU: Pioneer Avic X710BT
    Front stage: want bravox CS603CF
    Front stage amp: want powerbass XTA 2240
    Substage: 15" FI BL fully loaded in 3.5 cubes @33hz firing through rear deck.
    Substage amp: Powerbass XTA 1500D

iceteebone is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

the puase button is on the remote. i can't believe you would not buy an excellent headunit like the 8600 over a pause button. the alpine 9835 is a great headunit but you shoose it because you like the way it pauses better? if you push the clock button on the faceplate the clock is always there. i don't see how you have to push a button a million times to see the clock. my clock is always displayed on my screen.

magic_wizard is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iceteebone
    the puase button is on the remote. i can't believe you would not buy an excellent headunit like the 8600 over a pause button. the alpine 9835 is a great headunit but you shoose it because you like the way it pauses better? if you push the clock button on the faceplate the clock is always there. i don't see how you have to push a button a million times to see the clock. my clock is always displayed on my screen.
    Icetee, the 9835 is a better head unit than the 8600, unless the websites are leaving out some features (in particular time alignment) on the features list. I was referring to the 860.

Anyways, I looked at the 860 picture, and there is no button that says pause on it. But if it's on the remote, that's cool. Also, there is no clock button on the 860 (although there is one on the 960). Even on the 960, the clock button doesn't display the time on the main display. It displays it on the front face, which has to be closed in order for its display to be visable. Now, there maybe a particular screen display option where it shows everything at once so that you don't have to cycle to the clock only display to see the time, but I didn't notice such a display when I was playing with it at the store. Another thing, the 8600 that you have may be a little different than the 860.

I agree that these trivial things shouldn't solely determine what head unit to get. I just got really irritated because I actually really wanted to get the 860. What really did it for me (I didn't mention it before) is that some owners of the 860 have been complaining about CD's skipping. I really like the fact that mp3's load super fast (faster than the 9835), but this is pointless if a barely scratched CD will skip. I also like how the 9835 allows you to use the rotary know to adjust settings/search files (as opposed to pushing a button many times) and how the display is visable in direct sunlight.

If the CD skipping problem is only on a few of the 860's, I may take a chance and get one. Do you own the 860? Do you have a problem with CD's skipping?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just read part of the manual for the 8600 model, and it does have manual time alignment. If it doesn't skip like the 860, I will really consider it. I don't care about the 6.5 preouts. My system doesn't have much noise with 4.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am so blind. Sorry guys. There IS a clock button. It's hard to notice in the pictures because the ck is blurry. I am reading the manual and it shows where the button is.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Man this manual keeps surprising me! Apparently, on the 860 and 8600, there are two knobs that rotate and not just one. You can browse by rotating the multifunction knob, just like you can with the 9835. The 960 doesn't have this extra rotary knob. It just has up down left right.

I also read about the whole pause thing. As the guy above mentioned, you have to set up on the hu what you want the pgm button on the remote to do. You can make it pause. Without the remote, you just keep pushing multifunction.

Guys, sorry for the bashing! Hopefully the 8600 doesn't have skipping issues like a few of the 860's. I wish the store I went to had these models on display instead of the 960. I will go to a store that has them and test some minimally scratched CD's.

bamaboy is offline War Eagle!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hey i have the premier 860, its awsome, i havnt had acd skipping problem yet. so many function to go through. i love all the options. any questions i might be able to answer. i was wondering what you were taliking about clock for i was like wtf. but you found it out.

04 Explorer
    Kenwood DDX812
    RF 3Sixty.2
    T6004
    T4002
    T40001bd
    Hertz MLK-2 running Active
    Hertz HCX165
    4x DC Audio LVL 4 12"s

Summer 09' Build...Operation:Pull Wall out, put new subs in DONE!
    Build
    Photobucket
    now with video

mudd is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

This is why I'll never own another Pioneer. Their most basic functions are ridiculous to get to. Want to go to random for the CD? Well, hit Function, scroll to random, hit up, then escape out of the menu. All while trying not to sideswipe the blue-hair in the Buick next to you.

For functionality, I like Kenwood (to a point - their high end stuff gets a bit tedious) and Alpine. Eclipse is the epidome of ergonomics as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mudd
    This is why I'll never own another Pioneer. Their most basic functions are ridiculous to get to. Want to go to random for the CD? Well, hit Function, scroll to random, hit up, then escape out of the menu. All while trying not to sideswipe the blue-hair in the Buick next to you.

For functionality, I like Kenwood (to a point - their high end stuff gets a bit tedious) and Alpine. Eclipse is the epidome of ergonomics as well.

it's amazing how lazy people are. you can't press a couple of buttons?

mudd is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iceteebone
    it's amazing how lazy people are. you can't press a couple of buttons?
    It's not lazy stupid, it's just plain unsafe to take your eyes off the road for that long of time to have to cycle through a poorly thought-out menu to get to a simple feature that every other manufacturer can find a way to put right on the faceplate.

I've owned Pioneer before, and I won't again until they fix that. It's asinine, and there's no reason for it. I try not to sell Pioneer head units specifically for that reason.

VisionxOrb is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

pioneer i think built there units for us that dont use pause or random. i think the only features/buttons i use while im driveing are skip volume and tune. oh and source

Vehicle: 2004 GMC Seirra 2500HD Crew 4x4
    Fronts: CDT CL-62 with M519s UpStage kit
    Rears: Hybred PG/Focal comps
    Comp Amp: RF 800.4
    HU: Super awsomemo GM 6disk Indash w/ PAC Interface w/ AudioControl Three.1

Subs: 4 re8's
    Sub Amp: SoundStream Van Gogh 1600.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i can't believe someone would condem a brand of headunit because of a random feature. if you are that bad of a driver why don't you set the radom feature before you start driving? or at a stoplight?

Damaso87 is offline iPoor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mudd
    It's not lazy stupid, it's just plain unsafe to take your eyes off the road for that long of time to have to cycle through a poorly thought-out menu to get to a simple feature that every other manufacturer can find a way to put right on the faceplate.

I've owned Pioneer before, and I won't again until they fix that. It's asinine, and there's no reason for it. I try not to sell Pioneer head units specifically for that reason.
    So you want a button the the face for every feature the HU has to offer? Moron...

Either way, im resurrecting this thread to ask a question...is there anything to do about my p860MP skipping? I mean, it will skip only rarely, and never in the same spotl It has only done it twice out of three months, but its still obnoxious.

Take off every 'sig.

FinalWolf is offline Stop reading my subtitle!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ive never had mine skip, owned for at least 4months now. Ive done MP3, WMA, regular CD-Rs and RWs and a mix of MP3 and WMA.....never skipped once (other then a CD which was scratched to hell, I ended up tossing it out).

Closed Thread