+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: To run sub using the built in subwoofer crossover or the one on the amp?

Basshead1984 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To run sub using the built in subwoofer crossover or the one on the amp?

I have a Pioneer DEH 150MP head unit and I've had it for a year. This is the first head unit I've had that had some subwoofer crossover and high pass crossover built in. The max volume goes to 62 and I usually have it around 45-57 with music. The subwoofer level adjustments go from +6 to -24. It also has a low pass crossover with either a -6 or -12 slope. It's low pass crossover frequencies to choose from are 50hz, 63hz, 80hz, 100hz, 125hz, 160hz, 200hz.

I know some people use their head units subwoofer crossover since it's easier to adjust. So would I use a 0 db, or -5 db test tone with the low pass crossover at 80hz on the head unit and set my amp gain with that with the sub level +6 out of -24 or set it at 0?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: To run sub using the built in subwoofer crossover or the one on the amp?

What sub do you have? Sub level set at 0. Type of sub helps determine slope.

Functional Stupidity

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a 12" Diamond Audio. I don't know the model. It's in a 1.25 cu ft sealed box. I got the sub with the box from a guy near me off craigslist. He said he ran it off a Pioneer 760 watt amp(380 rms bridged and said it gave the sub plenty of power and deep bass.

audioman14 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Basshead1984 View Post
    I have a 12" Diamond Audio. I don't know the model. It's in a 1.25 cu ft sealed box. I got the sub with the box from a guy near me off craigslist. He said he ran it off a Pioneer 760 watt amp(380 rms bridged and said it gave the sub plenty of power and deep bass.
    Pop the sub out the box and get the model.take you 5 mins

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

That's a good range of adjustments on the HU. I would set the slope for 12dB and lowpass to 63 or 80 Hz. With the level at 0 you'll have some ability to crank up a source that might need more bass.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

6. Thanks Basshead1984 thanked for this post
    CSCStang is offline STAY TUNED...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Basshead1984 View Post
    That sub must have a 4 ohm load cause that 760 won't accept a 2 ohm bridged.

AVH3600BHS
    Front: PPS 4-6/Kappa 682.9cf
    PPI 900.4
    Sub:2 HDS210d4 2.5cuft net@35hz. (Designed by skdooley/Built by me)
    BRX2000@1 ohm
    big 3: 2/0 weld wire
    Knu ofc 1/0 runs

Bought from: tat2bass, xxxbasshead
    Sold to: lovecat48519

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maylar View Post
    That's a good range of adjustments on the HU. I would set the slope for 12dB and lowpass to 63 or 80 Hz. With the level at 0 you'll have some ability to crank up a source that might need more bass.
    I put in a 50 hz 0 db test tone that I made in Audacity and converted to mp3. I also then used a 40 hz 0 db tone I created in Audacity as well. I put the sub control on the head unit for 80 hz, the slope -12 and put the sub level at 0. EQ was on FLAT, loudness off and I had to max the gain and the bass boost(0-9 db at 40 hz) to get to 23-24 volts and I hit that around vol 60-62! I'm guessing I have weak pre outs or Pioneer totally lied on their 2V pre out voltage! I then tried to compare the gain and set it with a different EQ which was SUPER BASS and with the amp gain still maxed out I dropped the vol right to 50 out of 62 and hit 23-24 volts AC right on the mark. With the volume on 61 of 62 the DMM read 28 AC and with it 62 out of 62, 31-32 AC. I then put in a 50 hz -6 test tone and a 40 hz -6 test tones I also made in Audacity and converted to mp3's. I raised the sub level to +6 and I hit 23-24 volts AC at +6. I was goin for around 132-140 watts rms since the amp I have, Kicker DX250.1 does 140x1 at 4 ohms and 250x1 at 2 ohms. I unhooked hte DMM pos and neg leads and hooked back the speaker leads. I then put on Eminem Rap God since the song has constant bass for most of the song and raised head unit volume to 50 of 62. The bass sounded loud and tight. I then adjusted the sub level slowly up to +6 and the bass sounded even better. I then raised it to vol 54 and now it really was loud and rear view mirror was shaken. I just can't believe at my normal listening level which was around vol 47 that I got on the DMM only around 10-14 AC volts. That's with the amp bass boost at 9 db maxed and the amp gain maxed but I guess that's the way it's gonna have to be if I want to hit the amps rated power with the head unit volume nearly maxed out.

+ Reply to Thread