+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: Need your help with Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD headunit.

Chromatic is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)

Need your help with Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD headunit.

Hey guys,

I am about 90% done with my build in my 2008 350Z. -- Tonight I got to the point of firing everything up, and it all worked flawlessly, and sounds better than I anticipated.

I just have one issue that I could use your help with. Maybe you can search it out and find it (I've been looking..) -- Or have first hand knowledge/pictures etc.

Anyhow,.. I have a 2008 Nissan 350Z,.. These 350Z's started in 2003, and the last year of them was 2008. They changed the interior over the years.. and the 2008 interior is NOT the same as a 2005 for example.. (They are VERY similar of course.. but screw locations, how things mount, come apart etc have been changed.)

So I read up on many DIY's before taking this car apart.. but the one DIY that did NOT match up at all was a 350Z Disassembly of the Headunit (which is also the removal of air conditioning controls/knobs and a 3 pod gauge cluster.)

This is what it looks like.. the area I'm talking about re-assembling properly:

This is a 2004 (Mine looks VERY similar on the outside to this):

The picture didn't show the gauge pods that are connected to the whole unit there.. so here they are just for reference (This has factory headunit,.. but shows the gauge pods up top):

And this is MY car as it is now. I haven't tried reassembling it yet, this is just when I was testing and setting the amp earlier:

Now,.. when the DIY didn't match up.. I had to just do it removing screws until it came out.

I'd very much like/appreciate a guide of some sort to simply get the headunit back in with that gauge pod piece in a step by step process.. Instead of trying to figure out how it lines up.

Obviously if no one can help, and I can't find one on my own I'll just do my best. This is the only part of putting the car back together I'm a little unsure about in my mind.

So if you can dig something up or help, it'd be very much appreciated.

*Note: I don't need any help with wiring, etc.. I've done all that successfully.. It's merely getting it back in the right way with the airconditioning controls and gauge pod "center piece" that is sort of one unit.

Just for reference here is a link to my exact model of Headunit:

AVH-P4100DVD - In-Dash Double-DIN DVD Multimedia AV Receiver with 7" Widescreen Display | Pioneer Electronics USA

And pics for the heck of it:

Link - AVH-P4100DVD - In-Dash Double-DIN DVD Multimedia AV Receiver with 7" Widescreen Display | Pioneer Electronics USA

This was a HUGELY popular headunit to put in the 350Z's because it was about as good of a fit you could make to replace the doubledin factory headunit. So there is information out there,.. It's just the subtle differences in the 2008 350Z I have vs. the guides I've found that apply to the models a few years older.

I know this probably seems ridiculous to some of you as I've just completely rewired and taken apart the car, fabricated , etc and it all works.. and I didn't break anything . I just want some peace of mind when getting this final part back in.. it will be the last part of the interior "re-installation" I do tomorrow.

Thanks!

pickup1 is online now Audiosystem,Dynaudio...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    691 Post(s)

Re: Need your help with Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD headunit.

So...your asking How to put it back together?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pickup1 View Post
    So...your asking How to put it back together?
    Yes exactly!

Here are some other shots that might help you guide me.. (Maybe you could mock the photo's up with circles/arrows in mspaint or something quick)...

Headunit as it sits at this moment:

The Gauge pod, storage box and Double Din bracket that the headunit goes in (that's currently out of the car). Tried to get a good shot of the screw hole locations:

Lastly.. I had to remove this pad that my right knee rests on when driving.. To get the radio out. So it lines up and was screwed in as well.

I'll be doing this today.. so any help would.. well.. be greatly appreciated. I just want to get it done right and not half ***.. or I don't want it to take me 4 hours trying to figure it out when it's a 15minute job at best.

Thanks!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)

Let me update this. I finally got it in.. jesus.. I had a feeling it would be tough,.. and it was insane. Anyhow,.. of course what should be the EASIEST part and finishing touch to the install.. the little Trim square you pop in to cover the gaps,.. well it doesn't fit right. I ordered another one from Metra.. but I'm not so sure it's the trim piece.. Maybe something is off with the way the headunit is sitting in there.

Here's a picture of how it sits right now.. installed.. without the trim piece. See if you can find anything wrong,..

This headunit was installed already.. and it has the factory screw holes.. and another set drilled next to it that whoever installed it drilled to make it mount flush. I've used BOTH sets of holes .. and the trim piece doesn't fit right.. it has a larger gap on the right side than left side.. and the left side isn't as flush as it was before??

What the heck.. I didn't bend anything.. This stuff was set aside and not touched. Doesn't make any sense to drill a new set of mounting holes.. There must be something obvious I'm missing about this.

If you can help me.. I'd be in your debt! This is the last "step" to complete the install.. everything else is done and put back in. A freaking little square/rectangle of plastic is the one thing I can't figure out.. sigh.

Thanks

Side Show is offline Bringin The Noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

huh? adjust the trim piece?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Side Show View Post
    huh? adjust the trim piece?
    Huh?

The trim piece goes in one way.. There's large gaps with it in. You can't just magically make it thicker or otherwise cover gaps.

Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

HAHAHA are you using the trim piece that came with the deck? you will prob find that aeropro or som1 will make a fascia for your model of car. prob be bout $10-$15..

the very first pic you posted!

---------- Post added at 02:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 AM ----------

were bouts are the holes gaps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)

Side Show I don't think you understand this was ALREADY installed in the car when I bought it. Further, it was flush with the trim piece that was used.

So, logically, it stands to reason reinstallation of the deck would look just like it did when I pulled it out Friday.. make sense?

I ordered this for a replacement... but the issue lies in deck alignment now.. not sure what's up. Just about ready to take a humiliating trip to a shop and pay them a stupid amount of money to flush the trim piece up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

so all you did was take out the headunit and you went to put it back in and now you cant get it to look like it did befor?

you have to be either using the wrong mounting holes or wrong bracket.

have you tried to put it all in without screws to see if you can even get everything to line up correctly? you have to be missing something simple

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

try fit the trim piece to the headunit then re-install the headunit and fascia together

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)

I'm posting this in my threads I'm keeping up with here,.. Due to buying a new Headunit from BestBuy tomorrow. (Read to see why)

**If you don't want to read this post.. I would like some help picking out a headunit from Bestbuy (I'm doing 18months interest free.. all I can do this month) -- The "must haves" are Double Din - Touch Screen - Built In Bluetooth - 4V Pre-outs (not 2v) - and 3 RCA Pre-outs (OR, 2 RCA Pre-outs and A "Sub-out") --- Go to the bottom of the post and you will see a link I made that takes you right to the headunits at bestbuy to scan through and help me pick one. Budget around $300-$550. Thanks **

Well good news (Car is finished completely), and really.. really bad news (Head Unit stopped working!).

I figured out how to flush the head unit.. I just grabbed the dremel for the billionth time and opened up the holes and was able to flush it.

I buttoned everything back up.. turned the key! -- And,..nothing from the headunit.. no lights, no screen... then it starts this constant beeping.

Beep beep.... beep beep...... beep beep... and it never stops.

I was like this is bad..

I took it ALL apart again,.. checked all the wiring.. (Good)

I pulled all wires off headunit,.. and checked fuse -- Even put a new one in. (Good)

At this point I was like.. I don't think this is going to work again. But I continued.. over the next 2-3 hours I pulled every Fuse from the vehicle and independently checked them. Yes, really. (All good).

I went online.. nothing much about just 2 beeps, pause.. 2 beeps pause.. 2 beeps.. forever.. and no lights, no screen display .. on a Pioneer headunit.. or my specific headunit the Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD . I found a FEW help threads on the issue.. and every single one of them the person ended up taking it out for service and the unit was DEAD.

I read the entire manual on my model online.. No mention of "beeps" .. Did mention a reset button. So I pressed and held it.. nothing. I did that another 20 times in different ways.

So I was like ok.. I'll pull the battery cables and let it sit for an hour. (Did nothing).

I was out of ideas.. Everything I could think of.. I did. And I figured there would be a million topics about this online,.. but I couldn't find them.

SO.. I'm assuming I need a new headunit.

So the only UPSIDE to this is this headunit doesn't have Bluetooth in it.. and it's like $200 just for the adapter to enable it.. so,.. the new headunit WILL have bluetooth , to make it not just a carbon copy of what I have. I'd like GPS, but they are $200+ more dollars generally.

The good news? I finished the car. Everything is in.. nothing broken.. it's back like she was. Again.. camera is taking grainy pics.. but here she is:

Now.. here's the deal. My intuition tells me the HU is just not going to work again.

So,.. I really can't order one online at the moment,.. and it's really ****** to have done 40+ hours of work with this and now it doesn't work cause of the HU.

SO.. I do have a good best buy account.. with 18 months interest free.. I always pay single purchases off in less than 6 months from there.

So while I don't think you guys can give me a magical "fix" for this headunit (If you've heard/read or seen this issue with a Pioneer headunit and KNOW an absolute way to fix it, please tell.)

But otherwise -- I'm now in the market to get another headunit and fast.. like tomorrow fast.

I'm limited to Bestbuy. Surprisingly they have a decent selection.

I DID notice some of the ones I preferred had 2V pre-outs instead of 4V preouts.. And some of these with 2V pre-outs were top of the line $750+ headunits.

So here's the criteria. Must have 4V preouts (must have 3 sets.. or, 2 sets, and a sub woofer set of "preouts, aka: RCA's) (As I'm running fronts, rears, and the sub off three pair of RCA's.)

To make this have an "upside".. it must have built in Blue tooth. I've wanted that , and never had it in any vehicle in my life. So might as well.

So (must haves), Double Din - Touch Screen - Blue Tooth Built In - and 4V Preouts (3 sets of RCA's, or 2 sets and a Sub out).

Can/will you guys can help recommend the best one in a $300-$550 pricerange (ish).. from bestbuy. I'll even give you the direct link to browse to make it quick for you:

In-Dash with DVD : Best Buy | Double DIN Double DIN - Best Buy

Help me pick out a good headunit.. I'm probably going to grab it tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks..

+ Reply to Thread