+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: Need a new Head Unit

Abanndun is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need a new Head Unit

Hi, I have a 99 blazer 4x4 and im looking to start putting a system in the truck. Im in the process of looking to purchase a head unit for the truck. Im looking to spend around 250-300max or if you think I should save up to get a better unit, im looking for nice clean sound quality. I will be putting in 2 diamond 12" subs that my brother is going to give me also he has an amp not entirely sure what kind etc. Im just trying to find a nice head unit dual din or single whatever has better sound quality and will be good for 2 12" subs im also looking to get a nice component system. Thanks Much for your time and concern.

mylows10 is offline Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    490 Post(s)

Re: Need a new Head Unit

I know your truck well. My dad has a 99 Sonoma. That I've done work on. I just installed a clarion cz702 very nice deck next will be components I'm thinking some phd components for the doors next

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

3. Thanks Abanndun thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^thanks for the rec. I appreciate it I'll do some homework and read up on the cz702.

dumple is offline What's in your trunk?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I've got an alpine 9887 with bluetooth forsale. Or a pioneer app radio 2

Pioneer Appradio 3
    JBL ms8, JBL MS-A5001
    PHD Studio neo 6.5s, PHD fb 1.1b
    Cdt m6+
    TC Sounds Epic 10
    cream jean of sound 8======D~
    refs: Lil_KB, jesusbasscadill, Crzy, Wkbdkid, bigwheel15, groggy23, kenbei, Belunt (awesomebox), Nissan, shallowfu, jonnybusa, alxmlr789, pioneerpimp, peas247, ravens9322, sundownz, audiobahnuser18, [email][email protected], jared530, brenTgrillzem, Revrider1

6. Thanks Abanndun thanked for this post
    Jmez36hz is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have always LOVED alpine decks, I have a CDA9886 that i've had for around 6 years now, and it still works perfectly. The sound processing and functionality are incredible especially for such an old deck. I would expect for a single din deck your price range is quite acceptable, if you wanted to go double din large display touch screen kinda stuff you will have to spend more. A good single din will have same sound quality of a double din, just without a massive display. I would go single din if you are only concerned about sound. I've also worked with may other alpine decks that I have been very pleased with. Honestly... if my deck ever dies I will literally cry, they don't make it anymore . Aside from Alpine I have also had great experiences with clarion, and kenwood decks. Seems alot of people swear by pioneer decks... I have never been very impressed with them though. Maybe I just haven't bumped into any of their high end decks, but if someone knows why so many people use pioneer decks I'd love to hear it. I swear by alpine decks though. For speakers and amps there are many other viable options, but decks I'm an alpine prude.

8. Thanks Abanndun thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Once you decide on a brand, your next consideration will be how many preamp outputs you want, and the preamp voltage. I prefer a 4v preamp signal, And if you only want to put an amplifier on your sub, 2 preamps will be fine, If you also want to add a 4 ch amp you will want a deck with 6 preamp outputs, or 3 pairs.

vibe is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmez36hz View Post
    I have always LOVED alpine decks, I have a CDA9886 that i've had for around 6 years now, and it still works perfectly. The sound processing and functionality are incredible especially for such an old deck. I would expect for a single din deck your price range is quite acceptable, if you wanted to go double din large display touch screen kinda stuff you will have to spend more. A good single din will have same sound quality of a double din, just without a massive display. I would go single din if you are only concerned about sound. I've also worked with may other alpine decks that I have been very pleased with. Honestly... if my deck ever dies I will literally cry, they don't make it anymore . Aside from Alpine I have also had great experiences with clarion, and kenwood decks. Seems alot of people swear by pioneer decks... I have never been very impressed with them though. Maybe I just haven't bumped into any of their high end decks, but if someone knows why so many people use pioneer decks I'd love to hear it. I swear by alpine decks though. For speakers and amps there are many other viable options, but decks I'm an alpine prude.
    bro your just a prude in general. i agree though alpine decks for the win.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I recently installed a Alpine CDE-143BT CD/MP3/USB Car Stereo w/ Bluetooth & iPod Control in a friends car and it is a great head unit for the price. Also that alpine 9887 being sold above would be a great option, very similar to my deck and I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

im eventually going to put in 2 12" subs an amp and a component set up so im looking for something with at least 3 preamps and 4v/5v
    * I had my eyes on these HU below in that order
    1- pioneer prs80
    2- pioneer p8400bh
    3- clarion cz702

a390st is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wouldn't overlook the Alpine CDE-HD148BT or CDE-HD149BT. I thought the 149BT sounded really good, and if it played .wav files from USB, I would have gotten it instead of the 80prs. They are about the same price. The 80prs is a good unit with nice features if you need to go active.

+ Reply to Thread