Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: how much effect does a head unit have on sound quality?

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5143 Post(s)

Re: how much effect does a head unit have on sound quality?

Quote Originally Posted by blakgtp View Post
    ok. thanks guys you have put me at ease a bit. now I can focus on the most important part, the install!
    Should have hit me up. I have some pioneer b stock avhx5500 decks for 275 plus shipping

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 03 Mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Side Show is offline Bringin The Noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

^^ do you have any of the old prs decks with the p-bus port?

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5143 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Side Show View Post
    ^^ do you have any of the old prs decks with the p-bus port?
    Nope sorry did just get a dehx 980 mp tho. But keeping it

ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 03 Mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

blakgtp is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    Should have hit me up. I have some pioneer b stock avhx5500 decks for 275 plus shipping

****. oh well, you win some you lose some haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5143 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blakgtp View Post
    ****. oh well, you win some you lose some haha
    Still might be one left

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Dirtrider4eva is offline √\_The CaUsE__

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    840 Post(s)

pre-outs isnt everything. processing and abilities of the deck influence the sound immensly and the deck itself will have a distinct sound. Pioneers tend to be more bright. kenwoods flat. Eclipse warm, alpine cool but sharp. depending on the tastes of your ears you may prefer one to the other. i personally like the sound of my eclipse more than any kenwood or alpine i have had. I have yet to try an alpine yet. may down the line.

welcome to
    Where b-stock is the new a-stock
    TEAM WEST

7. Likes Jeffdachef liked this post
    murph is offline Low for Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1438 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbeljefe View Post
    There's nothing wrong with 2 volt preamp outputs. I can't think of an amplifier I've ever experienced that couldn't be driven to its maximum output on that voltage.

As for sound quality, an inexpensive unit with a tv screen isn't going to have a lot to offer in that department. It's a simple economic equation... to get a tv screen in a cheap head unit, something else must be left out in order for the manufacturer to still profit on the sale.
    Lol I'm sorry but, you must have never ran any os (amps pre-2002ish) amplification before. Amps from that age for example the Phoenix Gold MS series definitely want a higher preout voltage than 2 volts. When looking at Head Units having a quality DAC or DAC's are always something to look into.

Hu: kenwood kdc-x995
    Sub: Boston acoustics G5 12 in a quasi 6th order
    Amp: Phoenix gold zx600.2 ti
    Front Speakers: Eclipse sc6500
    HIT UP FOR BASS ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/BassWithMurph?feature=mhee

bbeljefe is offline Premium Member bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    676 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    Lol I'm sorry but, you must have never ran any os (amps pre-2002ish) amplification before. Amps from that age for example the Phoenix Gold MS series definitely want a higher preout voltage than 2 volts. When looking at Head Units having a quality DAC or DAC's are always something to look into.
    I wasn't aware this conversation was about old school amps. And old school to me is mid 1980s, when I started in car audio.

Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    652 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider4eva View Post
    pre-outs isnt everything. processing and abilities of the deck influence the sound immensly and the deck itself will have a distinct sound. Pioneers tend to be more bright. kenwoods flat. Eclipse warm, alpine cool but sharp. depending on the tastes of your ears you may prefer one to the other. i personally like the sound of my eclipse more than any kenwood or alpine i have had. I have yet to try an alpine yet. may down the line.
    Ah, so I'm not the only one running an Eclipse deck! I've had my CD1200 for probably 4 years now, my dad originally had it installed in his car at the time and when he gave the car to me I kept it. Then I sold the car so I pulled the deck out and put the OEM deck back in. Bought my new car and threw the deck in. I love it

01 Lincoln Continental - Mary

Singer | Tantric Sounds | Sky High | Powerware | Ampere Audio | CDT

2 Tantric HDD 12s
    Ampere Audio 3800.1D at .35 daily
    275a Singer Alternator, 2 runs SHCA 1/0 positive, 2 runs SHCA 1/0 negative, couple of batteries
    Tantric Sounds "GatorSkin" 200mil and MurderMat 80mil throughout

RoYALbLUE08 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)

my avh-p8400 gives me perfectly good crystal clear loud sound with 0 distortion. it only has an 8 band eq but running the speakers active its fine from my crescendo amp is fine. besides. wouldnt you need time allignment if your running front and back speakers?

not to mention i like to be updated with technology i dont like old school stuff so my headunit is very nice looking, very fast and responsive and has great features that i use everyday in it and a nice 7 inch screen that i mirror my iphone on it for navigation/internet browsing, etc.

Front stage- HAT Imagine i61-2 for midrange and Rainbow Cal 25 Silk Tweeters for highs
    Rear Stage- Factory Premium Speakers
    HU- Pioneer AVH-x8500
    Sub stage- 12" SSA XCON D2
    Sub amp- Crescendo BC2000
    Mid/High amp- Crescendo Concerto C1100.4
    Electrical- big 3, Optima Yellowtop
    NVX Sound deadener and Sealed doors
    Acoustic Sound Foam behind Front Mids

Dirtrider4eva is offline √\_The CaUsE__

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    840 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RoYALbLUE08 View Post
    my avh-p8400 gives me perfectly good crystal clear loud sound with 0 distortion. it only has an 8 band eq but running the speakers active its fine from my crescendo amp is fine. besides. wouldnt you need time allignment if your running front and back speakers?

not to mention i like to be updated with technology i dont like old school stuff so my headunit is very nice looking, very fast and responsive and has great features that i use everyday in it and a nice 7 inch screen that i mirror my iphone on it for navigation/internet browsing, etc.
    i had a very similar unit. identical processing. sounds pretty good. a little bright up top. new tech isnt always greater than old..

Quote Originally Posted by jrdnhsnbrg View Post
    Ah, so I'm not the only one running an Eclipse deck! I've had my CD1200 for probably 4 years now, my dad originally had it installed in his car at the time and when he gave the car to me I kept it. Then I sold the car so I pulled the deck out and put the OEM deck back in. Bought my new car and threw the deck in. I love it
    im running a cd7000. before this i had some weird double din with a detach gps in it. it was a weird fun unit.
    as for pre out voltage i vote 4-5V is perfect. my us acoustics amp cant handle 8 anyhow.

welcome to
    Where b-stock is the new a-stock
    TEAM WEST

neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1693 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RoYALbLUE08 View Post

I actually just traded off my 8400 DD in favor of a JVC KD-A95BT. While I do miss the 8-band EQ (and had finally gotten settings where they were sounding great), the SQ on this $200 JVC is leaps and bounds ahead of the Pioneer. In my experience, Pioneer decks always favor low frequencies, Alpine favors the high, and Eclipse love midrange. This JVC covers all three extremely well and its sense of staging and imaging just pushed it over the top. Its 5-band graphic EQ, though, leaves a little to be desired.

Adding my two cents in the equation (especially after this experience), the deck should really be the first thing you look at replacing when searching for SQ. You can have some of the nicest amplifiers and speakers/subs in existence, but great amplification is only going to amply a bad source. There's a reason the processing world is doing so well right now. Hell, for $350 these days, you can take a JBL MS-8 and make almost any consumer-level deck sound better. @PapaGeno21 ; can vouch for this especially. He's seen tremendous gains in what his system is capable of after putting it in his system and he's by no means all about the essques.

On the other side of the argument, you can't take a great deck and poop amplification and expect to get good results, either. These days, it really doesn't matter if it's Class A/B, D, G, H, etc since there's great and awful examples of each in the industry. Swapping out my A/B Boston Acoustics GT-2125 for a Zed Leviathan was in itself a giant leap ahead for my sub stage. That Boston is now happily driving my passive components. But don't expect to get a Shark, AP, VVME, whatever budget amp and expect it to perform like a Sinfoni. It just won't.

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

Jeffdachef is online now 160 db farts n sharts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1342 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    I actually just traded off my 8400 DD in favor of a JVC KD-A95BT. While I do miss the 8-band EQ (and had finally gotten settings where they were sounding great), the SQ on this $200 JVC is leaps and bounds ahead of the Pioneer. In my experience, Pioneer decks always favor low frequencies, Alpine favors the high, and Eclipse love midrange. This JVC covers all three extremely well and its sense of staging and imaging just pushed it over the top. Its 5-band graphic EQ, though, leaves a little to be desired.

Adding my two cents in the equation (especially after this experience), the deck should really be the first thing you look at replacing when searching for SQ. You can have some of the nicest amplifiers and speakers/subs in existence, but great amplification is only going to amply a bad source. There's a reason the processing world is doing so well right now. Hell, for $350 these days, you can take a JBL MS-8 and make almost any consumer-level deck sound better. @PapaGeno21 ; can vouch for this especially. He's seen tremendous gains in what his system is capable of after putting it in his system and he's by no means all about the essques.

On the other side of the argument, you can't take a great deck and poop amplification and expect to get good results, either. These days, it really doesn't matter if it's Class A/B, D, G, H, etc since there's great and awful examples of each in the industry. Swapping out my A/B Boston Acoustics GT-2125 for a Zed Leviathan was in itself a giant leap ahead for my sub stage. That Boston is now happily driving my passive components. But don't expect to get a Shark, AP, VVME, whatever budget amp and expect it to perform like a Sinfoni. It just won't.
    would love to know where one can get a jbl ms-8 for 350 new.

Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.
    2009 Sienna 3.5L Subs : C2 threatcon 15s. Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D x 2
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS bought used from vertex audio Mids/Highs amp: PPI Phantom 900.4 - bought from dragnix
    Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX tweets, alpine type R 6x9 midbass in doors + DB drive pro audio 6.5 in the kick.
    320 amp Singer alt almost installed. 0 gauge Audio technix ofc all around, 2 group 31 agms in the back.

neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1693 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffdachef View Post
    would love to know where one can get a jbl ms-8 for 350 new.
    Keep your eye on Harmon direct's eBay page and their website. They're technically refurbs, but it really doesn't matter. Also keep watching the DIYMA classifieds. Seems like a BNIB one pops up every week over there.

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

Jeffdachef is online now 160 db farts n sharts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1342 Post(s)

thanks!

Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.
    2009 Sienna 3.5L Subs : C2 threatcon 15s. Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D x 2
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS bought used from vertex audio Mids/Highs amp: PPI Phantom 900.4 - bought from dragnix
    Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX tweets, alpine type R 6x9 midbass in doors + DB drive pro audio 6.5 in the kick.
    320 amp Singer alt almost installed. 0 gauge Audio technix ofc all around, 2 group 31 agms in the back.

17. Likes neo_styles liked this post
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast