Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

New Pioneer HU w/ HD radio: Poor HD sound quality

I recently bought a Pioneer DEH-5500HD, one of the reasons being that's it has HD radio. When testing out the HD Radio, I noticed some static and lack of bass when music was playing on an HD station( I know it was HD because I turned HD seek on). I know that HD radio is supposed to eliminate or at least reduce static to the point where it's not really all that noticeable. I was wondering what the problem could be. Was I supposed to install this HU in a certain way? Do I need extra components? My car is a 1999 Saturn SC2, currently with factory antenna. I should note I did buy an antenna adapter to be able to connect the antenna to the HU. Does anyone have any suggestions, or have had a similar experience? If you did have a similar experience, did you find a solution? Thank You!

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

Re: New Pioneer HU w/ HD radio: Poor HD sound quality

HD radio is not yet perfected. HD receivers are less sensitive than regular FM and you need a strong signal to get the radio to "lock in". Pioneer decks usually have excellent tuners, but they probably **** on HD like everyone else's. My JVC has lousy FM sensitivity even with an amplified OEM antenna. It's great quality when the signal is strong, but fades out in areas that regular stereo receivers wouldn't. I wish there was an option to turn HD off.

BTW HD isn't High Definition - it's Hybrid Digital. It lets stations broadcast multiple programs on the same carrier. There's one HD station in my area that's commercial free. Other than that, it's useless IMO.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

iCeNN is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve the reception/sound quality to meet HD(hybrid definition) standards? Would getting a new antenna help?

vaiboy is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iCeNN View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve the reception/sound quality to meet HD(hybrid definition) standards? Would getting a new antenna help?
    You can try installing an amplified antenna like this one RetroSound WPA1 Antenna Amplified window antenna at Crutchfield.com but that might not even correct your problem. If the signal in your area is too week HD radio will switch to the analog signal, HD radio sacrifices sound quality for reception that is the way it was designed to work.

iCeNN is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vaiboy View Post
    You can try installing an amplified antenna like this one RetroSound WPA1 Antenna Amplified window antenna at Crutchfield.com but that might not even correct your problem. If the signal in your area is too week HD radio will switch to the analog signal, HD radio sacrifices sound quality for reception that is the way it was designed to work.
    How about just getting a regular antenna? The sound quality I currently get just has some static, but overall sounds ok. Also could it be because I'm using an antenna adapter?

Closed Thread