Closed Thread

Reload Thread: anyone pair the DEH-80prs with a paragraphic eq?

rtillaree is offline F***, Strong

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

anyone pair the DEH-80prs with a paragraphic eq?

I have a recently installed DEH-80prs and I also have an older 7 band paragraphic eq lying around. I had planned on installing it, but elected not to initially. I have begun the process of fine tuning the 80prs and I think this is going to be more time consuming than I had even anticipated.

It seems that really finely mastered CD's sound AMAZING with minimal adjustments but any of the Hip-Hop/Rap music with mid to terrible mastering takes a hard cut and sounds the exact opposite of amazing.

I had, in the past, run the EQ to adjust as needed for the application but, not sure if it'd be a waste to run that in conjunction with this particular HU given it's own EQ and it's SQ pedigree.

Either way, I'm going to spend a few more weeks tweaking this thing before I make any decisions on it.

Just curious if anyone else had done this yet and what their results may have been.

CA.COM REFERENCES:
    Bought From:
    flakko, krouchchocolate, djdilliodon, Mountaineer Man, delvryboy, j3bus2k3, THXdts, htownplaya456, rawdogj, xplorerdonon22s, danteBirosel, bgdre12, GateWay, ultimate157, Drich79, IonSQL, kasimo420 (x2)

Sold To:
    Wkbdkid, the_franchise, euro2ned, bryce-man, mike dressure, dbman150, jailhouseracer8, DaBeholder, gammey4, soundblast1, shiipseki, mr Tibbs, the727kid, woc47, bchandler, branden, amedeuce, MustangGT25YRS, fordtough1, 04oilburner, Hellbound Train, Dimon74

Traded With:
    irnotfob, wizkid, alxmlr789, Flipx99, Twistid

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1308 Post(s)

Re: anyone pair the DEH-80prs with a parametric eq?

Mmm that's weird. All I listen too is rap mostly while in my truck and I'm really considering the 80PRS, will have to do some more research

ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    549 Post(s)

You know you're getting close to very good sound when you can start hearing the difference in mastering. This is the price we pay for getting analytical, so to speak. When I got mine tweaked and tuned, I had the exact same problem. Some recordings are just lean and weak. I use the BBE on -3 or -4 and it helps quite a bit. If you've started with AutoEQ and moved on to final tweaking to your taste, that's two full stages of EQ. I would try the BBE. I wouldn't recommend adding another EQ in the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ciaonzo View Post
    You know you're getting close to very good sound when you can start hearing the difference in mastering.
    Call it, the plight of a former audio engineering student?

I would try the BBE.
    Anymore detail on this? I'm going to check into it.

I wouldn't recommend adding another EQ in the chain.
    Basically my thoughts, I was like pretty sure this would just be a terrible waste and too much processing at the end of the day.

Much appreciated.

CA.COM REFERENCES:
    Bought From:
    flakko, krouchchocolate, djdilliodon, Mountaineer Man, delvryboy, j3bus2k3, THXdts, htownplaya456, rawdogj, xplorerdonon22s, danteBirosel, bgdre12, GateWay, ultimate157, Drich79, IonSQL, kasimo420 (x2)

Sold To:
    Wkbdkid, the_franchise, euro2ned, bryce-man, mike dressure, dbman150, jailhouseracer8, DaBeholder, gammey4, soundblast1, shiipseki, mr Tibbs, the727kid, woc47, bchandler, branden, amedeuce, MustangGT25YRS, fordtough1, 04oilburner, Hellbound Train, Dimon74

Traded With:

ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    549 Post(s)

Not sure if the 80 has the BBE feature but my 800 does. Works as an aural processor to correct phase and amplitude issues. I know that doesn't sound like it applies to your problem but I'm positive it's throwing in amounts of low and high frequency content, and it does wonders for recordings that are light in the ass. Too much is too much and it can be 'boomy', but used in moderation it makes Motley Crue's "Shout At The Devil", and the like, sound much warmer. Watch excursion on your midbass and such, can send things into overload with recordings like "And Justice For All".

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

Not sure if the 80 has the BBE feature but my 800 does. Works as an aural processor to correct phase and amplitude issues. I know that doesn't sound like it applies to your problem but I'm positive it's throwing in amounts of low and high frequency content, and it does wonders for recordings that are light in the ass. Too much is too much and it can be 'boomy', but used in moderation it makes Motley Crue's "Shout At The Devil", and the like, sound much warmer. Watch excursion on your midbass and such, can send things into overload with recordings like "And Justice For All".
    agh, yes. I don't think this model has it, it boasts a 24-bit DAC for digital to analog but nothing related to BBE processing - that I can find anyhow. Good news is, Lil Scrappy's - Head Bussa sounds great today...lol

CA.COM REFERENCES:
    Bought From:

Sold To:

Traded With:

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

Re: anyone pair the DEH-80prs with a paragraphic eq?

Think I'm getting closer. Still fighting a little with the low-end. I'll be installing my Flatlyne 12" within the next 2 weeks so I will inevatebly be back to square 1 with regard to this but, sounds very clean when cranked up.

Not a great sample considering it's from my phone, but, you can hear some decent separation and a bit of clarity if you listen with headphone in HD

CA.COM REFERENCES:
    Bought From:

Sold To:

Traded With:

Closed Thread