Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Reload Thread: Alright, Boys (Noob uncertainties)

AxT4430 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    470 Post(s)

Re: Alright, Boys (Noob uncertainties)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Natural roll off huh? Why that versus knowing where he's at?

And I wouldn't really trust those Polk's to get down to 63 under power :/ Not decently anyway.
    so the comps at the lpf filter should be at 0db slope?! I didnt even catch that @gckless ; thanks!

btw, I need to figure out what do with my doors to handle this back wave.. :/ that will wait till im not busy or summer

gckless is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1839 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    Actually, I've heard the crossovers on the Clarion were better, but Pioneer had the upper hand when it came to EQ. You might still be OK.
    I've heard this too.

Btw OP, typically, you will want a 24dB/octave slope on your sub LPF and your mid HPF, and pretty much any slope between your mid and tweet. 12dB/octave and 18dB/octave are fairly common though.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

3. Thanks AxT4430 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1839 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AxT4430 View Post
    so the comps at the lpf filter should be at 0db slope?! I didnt even catch that @gckless ; thanks!

btw, I need to figure out what do with my doors to handle this back wave.. :/ that will wait till im not busy or summer
    0dB would be no slope at all, so if you did let your mids naturally roll off, then yes, they would have a LPF of 0dB/octave.

15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    470 Post(s)

I've heard this too.

Btw OP, typically, you will want a 24dB/octave slope on your sub LPF and your mid HPF, and pretty much any slope between your mid and tweet. 12dB/octave and 18dB/octave are fairly common though.
    If your limited to certain amount of slopes or crossovers.. is it better to have more crossover points then slopes since there seems to be a fairly common amount of people using 12db/24db slopes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1839 Post(s)

If your limited to certain amount of slopes or crossovers.. is it better to have more crossover points then slopes since there seems to be a fairly common amount of people using 12db/24db slopes?
    Usually yes. But any processing that has a decent amount of crossover points will have at least 3 slopes. Combine that with a decent amount of crossover points and it should be enough to make a system work.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    470 Post(s)

well, Im going to start my homework thanks guys

before I get off completely, I only have 2 runs of rca's.. Sub rca to one amp and high's rca to highs amp.. with this new headunit will I need one more rca run for tweeters?

I'm sure this all make alot more sense as I get the headunit and start setting things up.. I can apply what I know and do some low volume testing with other variations

neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1693 Post(s)

Natural roll off huh? Why that versus knowing where he's at?

And I wouldn't really trust those Polk's to get down to 63 under power :/ Not decently anyway.
    Meh I always thought the mobile monitors could actually handle a decent load on the woofer, it's just the tweeters that were the glaring issue with them. In that case, just run a LPF at 80Hz on the woofer, but I stand by the natural rolloff and it's not meant to be a permanent thing. It's more for him to figure out where his woofer starts to break up. It'll give him the chance to start dropping the tweeter HPF until the tweeter starts to stress and then he can lift that setpoint just a hair with the woofer matching it on a LPF, effectively band-passing the mid. Sorry if I'm confusing, but I'm exhausted.

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

9. Likes AxT4430 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1839 Post(s)

Meh I always thought the mobile monitors could actually handle a decent load on the woofer, it's just the tweeters that were the glaring issue with them. In that case, just run a LPF at 80Hz on the woofer, but I stand by the natural rolloff and it's not meant to be a permanent thing. It's more for him to figure out where his woofer starts to break up. It'll give him the chance to start dropping the tweeter HPF until the tweeter starts to stress and then he can lift that setpoint just a hair with the woofer matching it on a LPF, effectively band-passing the mid. Sorry if I'm confusing, but I'm exhausted.
    Oh he's got the MM? I just assumed dB. Yeah, they should do alright then. And that makes sense. Sounds like you guys are taking care of biz on the sidelines? Not mad about it, you've got him on the right track.

AxT, Neo will take care of you. Just do your homework.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    470 Post(s)

No wait, i have db series.. polk db 6501, sadly..

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    470 Post(s)

Cant thank you guys enough.. I hope I can pass this on to an audiophile when I understand!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1693 Post(s)

I think I follow! maybe not the methodology of bandpassing your way, but I know what bandpassing is, and what you probably mean!
    Basically, I'm saying you want to continue listening to things a little out-of-normal until you can start to see the veil lifted on certain parts of the playable scale. Each time you make a change, something should definitely click in that things will sound noticeably better or worse.

Using a RTA can actually speed this process up because drivers that are playing overlapping frequencies will be visible by peaks in those areas around the crossover point. You should be making a goal of having the speakers play as flat as possible without even needing to reach for the EQ and then using your EQ to smooth out what your crossover points can't.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

No wait, i have db series.. polk db 6501, sadly..
    OK then, stick somewhere around 80-100Hz on the HPF for the mids. IIRC, the only difference between the MM and the dB were in the woofer selection.

dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    470 Post(s)

Basically, I'm saying you want to continue listening to things a little out-of-normal until you can start to see the veil lifted on certain parts of the playable scale. Each time you make a change, something should definitely click in that things will sound noticeably better or worse.

Using a RTA can actually speed this process up because drivers that are playing overlapping frequencies will be visible by peaks in those areas around the crossover point. You should be making a goal of having the speakers play as flat as possible without even needing to reach for the EQ and then using your EQ to smooth out what your crossover points can't.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

OK then, stick somewhere around 80-100Hz on the HPF for the mids. IIRC, the only difference between the MM and the dB were in the woofer selection.
    You mean eq as treble, midbass, .. yoda yoda lol

Alright, I follow you! :0

Ill have to wait for RTA's although I agree.. using the software that KHA uses would be very handy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1693 Post(s)

You mean eq as treble, midbass, .. yoda yoda lol

Alright, I follow you! :0

Ill have to wait for RTA's although I agree.. using the software that KHA uses would be very handy
    They're not very cheap for the standalone units, but they are extremely accurate. It'd make more sense to get one of those if you were a shop owner and would be doing RTA adjustments frequently. For now, just get one of the free apps for iPhone or Droid and use that on the 1/3 octave scale. That should be able to point you in the right direction.

dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1

16. Thanks AxT4430 thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    470 Post(s)

They're not very cheap for the standalone units, but they are extremely accurate. It'd make more sense to get one of those if you were a shop owner and would be doing RTA adjustments frequently. For now, just get one of the free apps for iPhone or Droid and use that on the 1/3 octave scale. That should be able to point you in the right direction.
    Thanks! sorry for any but I hope I made you

Im feeling kind of lmao

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1693 Post(s)

Thanks! sorry for any but I hope I made you

Im feeling kind of lmao
    Dude no worries. You're asking the right questions

dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1

19. Likes AxT4430 liked this post
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast