Closed Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Reload Thread: Help with EQ settings and time alignment!!!

  1. #1
    seatown1two's Avatar
    seatown1two is offline Member



    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Edmonds, WA
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Help with EQ settings and time alignment!!!

    So I finally did it, replaced the factory head unit with an alpine w535hd. I must say I'm not regretting it one bit. Much more control over the sound.

    I've never had a unit with time allignment or 9 band parametric eq b4 and am wondering a few things. Am I able to accurately use the time alignment setting w/o going active? As of right now (with using auto setup for time alignment), vocals sound as if they are coming from the center of the windshield with other instruments filling to the left and right. This is what I'm trying to achieve, yes?

    With head units I've owned in the past, they have not had anymore than a 3 band parametric eq which I was able to tailor to my liking but this 9 band is throwing me off. Within each band there are there are like 5 different center frequencies, level -7 to 7 and q-factor 1 to 3 (3 being the most narrow). I guess I'm looking for good starting points those of you that have experience with this. Here are the frequencies:

    Band 1 (20Hz-100Hz)
    Band 2 (63Hz-325Hz)
    Band 3 (125Hz-500Hz)
    Band 4 (250Hz-1kHz)
    Band 5 (500Hz-2kHz)
    Band 6 (1kHz-4kHz)
    Band 7 (2kHz-7.2kHz)
    Band 8 (5.8 kHz-12kHz)
    Band 9 (9kHz-20kHz)

    Setup includes the head unit, MB quart PVL216 (mids in doors and tweets in factory location), Zed draconia II and a JL 10w3v3 in a ported enclosure. Amp is set to full pass on fronts, HP on sub channel (subsonic filter) with HP and LP filters for both enabled on HU.

    Sorry for the long post.. Thanks in advance!







  2. #2
    bumppinKota's Avatar
    bumppinKota is offline Banned



    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Center Colorado
    Posts
    589
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Help with EQ settings and time alignment!!!

    @neo_styles ;

    i think you can help. i might be wrong. tho.




  3. #3
    keep_hope_alive's Avatar
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Quad Cities, IL
    Posts
    5,913
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)

    Re: Help with EQ settings and time alignment!!!

    yes, you want vocals in the center of the dash with left and right panning to each side.

    for the EQ - only use what you need. it lets you choose which frequency you want to adjust, and Q is just the width of the filter effect.
    each setup is different so no way to tell you how to adjust the eq without listening to it or seeing an RTA result.



    have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

    My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

  4. #4
    keep_hope_alive's Avatar
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Quad Cities, IL
    Posts
    5,913
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)

    Re: Help with EQ settings and time alignment!!!

    you can manually adjust time alignment but if the auto works well, then leave it alone.

    if you don't have an RTA, an auto EQ function would also work. just be sure to move the mic around while measuring so it doesn't try to correct a peak or valley associated with one specific location. i make a figure-8 in front of my face when doing RTA or auto-EQ measurements.



    have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

    My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

  5. #5
    TaylorFade's Avatar
    TaylorFade is offline I fail.



    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Posts
    2,859
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

    Re: Help with EQ settings and time alignment!!!

    Whoa whoa whoa.... that double din has T/A, 24bit Burr brown and 9 band parametric?

    Why wasn't I notified?



    Quote Originally Posted by eCrack View Post
    TaylorFail
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Bobb View Post
    Taylorfail, v.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Imtjnotu View Post
    tailorFail v.3
    Quote Originally Posted by brodeisel View Post
    TaylorFail v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2bass View Post
    TaylorWin v.1?

  6. #6
    ciaonzo's Avatar
    ciaonzo is offline TheContinental



    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    WI
    Age
    39
    Posts
    9,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

    Re: Help with EQ settings and time alignment!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    you can manually adjust time alignment but if the auto works well, then leave it alone.

    if you don't have an RTA, an auto EQ function would also work. just be sure to move the mic around while measuring so it doesn't try to correct a peak or valley associated with one specific location. i make a figure-8 in front of my face when doing RTA or auto-EQ measurements.
    Interesting. I've considered sitting in the vehicle during this stage but haven't yet. So, you make the figure-8 depth-wise, horizontally? Had you done trials to discover that the unit was compensating for peaks, then you corrected that with this method?



    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

  7. #7
    TaylorFade's Avatar
    TaylorFade is offline I fail.



    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Posts
    2,859
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

    Re: Help with EQ settings and time alignment!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ciaonzo View Post
    Interesting. I've considered sitting in the vehicle during this stage but haven't yet. So, you make the figure-8 depth-wise, horizontally? Had you done trials to discover that the unit was compensating for peaks, then you corrected that with this method?
    He's talking about the RTA mic. Not the autotune mic. The figure 8 is to "average" the reading since it isn't binaural.



    Quote Originally Posted by eCrack View Post
    TaylorFail
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Bobb View Post
    Taylorfail, v.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Imtjnotu View Post
    tailorFail v.3
    Quote Originally Posted by brodeisel View Post
    TaylorFail v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2bass View Post
    TaylorWin v.1?

  8. #8
    seatown1two's Avatar
    seatown1two is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Edmonds, WA
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Help with EQ settings and time alignment!!!

    I should also mention, the auto setting affects all sound shaping settings on the HU, crossovers, time alignment, eq... I don't believe it has the ability to RTA (there is no built-in mic or one that you can attach specifically for that purpose). It is configured based on vehicle type, speaker size/placement, interior type and whether or not I have tweeters or a sub. I should note that I went back into the settings and set the HPF at 80hz/18db and the LPF at 100hz/18db, set the eq to flat and left the time alignment as is.

    Imaging appears to be where I want it to be however I'm not sure my time alignment settings are ideal as I'm not running active. Can anyone suggest good starting points for adjusting the eq or am I best to leave it flat? Tweets seem alot brighter after I added the HU. I'm thinking about connecting the lead on the xover to -3db and turning up the gain a lil (got plenty of headroom) OR adjusting the eq on the headunit. Do both of these options essentially do the same thing? Too many **** settings to F with now rofl...




  9. #9
    seatown1two's Avatar
    seatown1two is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Edmonds, WA
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Help with EQ settings and time alignment!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bumppinKota View Post
    @neo_styles ;

    i think you can help. i might be wrong. tho.
    Thanks for this, will try and pm.




  10. #10
    keep_hope_alive's Avatar
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Quad Cities, IL
    Posts
    5,913
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)

    Re: Help with EQ settings and time alignment!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by seatown1two View Post
    I should also mention, the auto setting affects all sound shaping settings on the HU, crossovers, time alignment, eq... I don't believe it has the ability to RTA (there is no built-in mic or one that you can attach specifically for that purpose). It is configured based on vehicle type, speaker size/placement, interior type and whether or not I have tweeters or a sub. I should note that I went back into the settings and set the HPF at 80hz/18db and the LPF at 100hz/18db, set the eq to flat and left the time alignment as is.

    Imaging appears to be where I want it to be however I'm not sure my time alignment settings are ideal as I'm not running active. Can anyone suggest good starting points for adjusting the eq or am I best to leave it flat? Tweets seem alot brighter after I added the HU. I'm thinking about connecting the lead on the xover to -3db and turning up the gain a lil (got plenty of headroom) OR adjusting the eq on the headunit. Do both of these options essentially do the same thing? Too many **** settings to F with now rofl...
    no real need to run active for time alignment. above 3.5kHz imaging is based on intensity, not time arrival differences. the best thing to do for your setup is to attenuate the driver's tweeter by 3dB but leave the passenger tweeter at 0dB. this will improve the sound stage for the driver's seat. note that passengers won't hear the same thing, so when you demo, have them sit in the driver's seat. for this reason, i have presets on my HU that are for driver, passenger, or both.

    eq is not the same as level on crossover. crossover turns down the entire tweeter while eq affects a band of frequencies. only use the EQ to fix peaks or valleys. doing this by ear requires you start to pay attention to specific instruments in a recording. for example, find a song that has prominent bass guitar - listen to the loudness of the bass guitar as it plays a wide range of notes. if some notes seem muted or exaggerated, use an EQ to fix that. i prefer to use an EQ to cut more than boost.



    have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

    My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 03:14 PM
  2. Need help with Eq settings
    By a166524 in forum Head Units
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2010, 10:50 PM
  3. Need help with EQ settings for Kenwood bt945u
    By STIorDIE in forum Head Units
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 01:48 PM
  4. Help With Jl 10w7 And 12w7
    By caraudiocenter in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2002, 01:00 PM
  5. Please Help with EQ problem
    By freeway2222 in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2002, 08:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum