Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Opinions on DEH-80PRS & CZ702

rtillaree is offline F***, Strong

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Opinions on DEH-80PRS & CZ702

I am getting ready to setup my first CA system in over 5 years in my daily driver. I am leaning more toward SQ/SQL this time around. I won't be competing at all but I do want a wicked loud and relatively clear setup for myself. Not going reference level clean, but, you know, not muddy. I primarily listen to 90's hip-hop, 90's grunge/metal/rock music and the occasional dirty-south track for guilty pleasure purposes and this is mostly done using my iPod.

I have been looking at the Pioneer DEH-80PRS and now the Clarion CZ702 has been recommended to me.

For he HU, I'm looking for;
    • iPod connectivity and decent interface
    • Clean output
    • Ability to expand into a sub-setup at some point
    • Decent-Good EQ interface
    • Quality preamps (5v+)

I was willing to spend up to $500 depending on the deck, but it looks like quality decks have dropped quite a bit in the last few years.

Thanks in advance

CA.COM REFERENCES:
    Bought From:
    flakko, krouchchocolate, djdilliodon, Mountaineer Man, delvryboy, j3bus2k3, THXdts, htownplaya456, rawdogj, xplorerdonon22s, danteBirosel, bgdre12, GateWay, ultimate157, Drich79, IonSQL, kasimo420 (x2)

Sold To:
    Wkbdkid, the_franchise, euro2ned, bryce-man, mike dressure, dbman150, jailhouseracer8, DaBeholder, gammey4, soundblast1, shiipseki, mr Tibbs, the727kid, woc47, bchandler, branden, amedeuce, MustangGT25YRS, fordtough1, 04oilburner, Hellbound Train, Dimon74

Traded With:
    irnotfob, wizkid, alxmlr789, Flipx99, Twistid

nismos14 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: Opinions on DEH-80PRS & CZ702

They're both good decks, pick the one that looks the best to you and will give you what you need audio wise. They both have their plus's and minus's but they also both have the ability to do everything you want.

Car audio IS an addiction.
    C.A.A.A Member #1
    (Car Audio Addicts Anonymous)
    Refs http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/278560-nismos14-feedback-refs-thread.html

garretttt4 is offline big pimpin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I'd go with the 80prs. Never had one but ALWAYS hear about people that are pretty happy with um. I plan on getting one soon actually.

01 Silverado 2500hd (gasser. :/)
    Coming soon
    Four custom mmats juggernaut 12's.
    Amp undecided..?

Bought from: Jayzbent, mylows10, logan527, Timmy13091, wingsfreak9, Underfire
    Traded with: mylows10(x2), knowmadic
    Sold to: 03silverado03, foomanchu, heel4lyfe, Timmy13091, wErd

PHD - USA is online now I sound better than you PHD - USA is a Supporting Member of the forum!

PHD - USA is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)

The clarion has a better crossover section, but a less adequate eq section.

PHD Audiophile Systems Dealer

gunz4me2 is online now Bat Country

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My DEH-80PRS has noise and it is related to the Bluetooth circuit. If replacing the deck didn't involve redoing the rest of my system, it would be out of there!

Unfortunately, replacing the deck means that I will more than likely switch to an external processor. Since I don't want wires all over the dang car, that means I would have to put the processor under one of the front seats. Well, there is an amp under each front seat and both amps won't fit under one seat. So to ditch the noisy deck, I'd have to purchase a processor, a 5 channel amp, and a new deck. Yeah, I'll live with no Bluetooth for the time being!

I used to swear by old school car audio gear, now I swear at it!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so basically, 6 in one hand and a half-dozen in the other?

CA.COM REFERENCES:
    Bought From:
    flakko, krouchchocolate, djdilliodon, Mountaineer Man, delvryboy, j3bus2k3, THXdts, htownplaya456, rawdogj, xplorerdonon22s, danteBirosel, bgdre12, GateWay, ultimate157, Drich79, IonSQL, kasimo420 (x2)

Sold To:
    Wkbdkid, the_franchise, euro2ned, bryce-man, mike dressure, dbman150, jailhouseracer8, DaBeholder, gammey4, soundblast1, shiipseki, mr Tibbs, the727kid, woc47, bchandler, branden, amedeuce, MustangGT25YRS, fordtough1, 04oilburner, Hellbound Train, Dimon74

Traded With:

Timmy13091 is offline Team DC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

I'd say clarion and save a ton of cash ... There badasś headunits

8. Likes nismos14 liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy13091 View Post
    I'd say clarion and save a ton of cash ... There badasś headunits
    I don't know about "a ton". Looks like you can get a 80prs for about $50 more on average for used and looks like BestBuy is selling the 80prs for $269 atm. Having said that, the Clarion looks pretty nice. I used to only run Clarion back in the day.

CA.COM REFERENCES:
    Bought From:

Sold To:

Traded With:

gunz4me2 is online now Bat Country

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If you ever wanted to adopt the wide band drivers in lieu of tweeters, the CZ702 would be a better choice since it allows for lower crossover points on the tweeter. The Pioneer, while I hate it for the Bluetooth noise, does offer more robust equalization and that can be key to getting your vehicle to sound the way you want it. So if you are going to run tweeters active on the tweeter channel, the Pioneer will ultimately give you more tuning options in the end.

The thing I like about the Pioneer is that it has TWO USB inputs on the back of it. I have one cable in the pocket under my radio and the other USB input is interfaced to the stock location in the center console. Also, doesn't the Pioneer have a direct digital connection to the iPod thereby bypassing the iPod DAC and using the HU's DAC for the audio stream?

Naturally, I hate the Bluetooth noise and the annoying remote beep that can not be defeated. I don't need a beep confirmation to tell me that I changed tracks or pressed the volume up/down button on my steering wheel controls.

I used to swear by old school car audio gear, now I swear at it!

Timmy13091 is offline Team DC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rtillaree View Post
    I don't know about "a ton". Looks like you can get a 80prs for about $50 more on average for used and looks like BestBuy is selling the 80prs for $269 atm. Having said that, the Clarion looks pretty nice. I used to only run Clarion back in the day.
    Lol there 100$ cheaper... There 150$ shipped new that's a ton if u ask me

nateberrier is online now ******

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I would figure the Pioneer would be better just out of eq options, but if youre that worried about eq you probably should not be using the deck anyway. Two usb ports seems to be a novelty anyway. I will probably order a CZ702 and try it out.

Refs: mrmakinmoves[SCAMMER] AKA ICHASEPAPER2010, skydeaner, fukinmovin, mossberg385t, grimreper912003, LBC99, Dbeez, Michaellane, thegreatestpenn, truckstoy, ge_off_me, btr, cupid6969, johnprdeye, jh8909, tylerj, UMWDawg92, nu2spl, zerosktr111, SPLAUDIO, $LICK CALIFA$, jfroghobo

http://www.execution-audio.com/

nismos14 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I don't think the equalizer problem will too bad, the clarion has a PEQ which is pretty flexible, plus you can run a true three way active front if you wanted to .

Car audio IS an addiction.
    C.A.A.A Member #1
    (Car Audio Addicts Anonymous)
    Refs http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/278560-nismos14-feedback-refs-thread.html

Falcons is offline that **** i dont like

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rtillaree View Post
    so basically, 6 in one hand and a half-dozen in the other?
    my math teacher says that everyday.

Things to look forward to:
    (2) 10" or 12" imperium audio designs subs
    set of PHD MF 6.5" comps
    Completely seal off and deaden my doors
    aquire a 2k amp
    aquire a 2 channel amp for front stage

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Pioneer DEH-80PRS has AutoEQ. I am not saying that you can't tune a head unit without AutoEQ, but it would have taken me faaar more time and tools to get eq and time alignment dialed in manually to the same result. It really cleared up the imaging, midrange, and treble. Suddenly the speakers sound like reference quality home speakers. That's a great result after a 10 minute calibration run. This is something I couldn't achieve with a Kenwood X994, even with bi-amped front stage. I just didn't like that AutoEQ likes to set subwoofer level pretty low, but that's fixable. CZ702 does seem like a good bargain too, consider it costs half the price of DEH-80PRS, specially if you're an experienced tuner with a good era and RTA setup. CZ702 costs less, but you need to spend more on tools to do your RTA setup. A precision microphone and software to drive it can cost $100. Granted, a home brew RTA with either head unit will probably lead to a better tune than Pioneers AutoEQ by itself. Parametric equalizer of CZ702 is also quite nice feature.

Closed Thread