Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reload Thread: iPad for HU

Atl_monte is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

iPad for HU

I've see a couple install utilizing an iPad for a HU, I was thinking about doing one but was what parts I would need, I know some sore of interface would be required, any help would be nice

alec14 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Re: iPad for HU

I've been interested in how they're made, what parts are needed, etc. As well. I'm tuned in.

Bought from: flastrongman, nitefury 360, luckyderder, Jayzbent, fasfocus00, flaboy22, oldschool4me, Chevy Blazin', Inter007, dross93ranger, 04murdalanche, glitchsta, photocrazy8

Traded with: mylows10 Sold to/traded with: garychoffman, juanmgarza, 04murdalanche, Markyg66, basswiigee, btolenti, supereikenator, shauncox26, eg9(x2), big scott, bad @SS chevy

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1018999

Durango03 is offline Enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atl_monte View Post
    I've see a couple install utilizing an iPad for a HU, I was thinking about doing one but was what parts I would need, I know some sore of interface would be required, any help would be nice
    Quote Originally Posted by alec14 View Post
    I've been interested in how they're made, what parts are needed, etc. As well. I'm tuned in.
    SoundmanCA : Home of the iPad install
    Photos and info — Soundman - Home of the iPad mini Car Install

$1,200 bucks if they do it.. obviously much cheaper to just look at the pics and try to fiberglass one yourself. However they sell the necessary hardware as well.

HeadUnit: sold Front Stage: 6.5 skar vxi65 + IA i65c + DB drive pro tweets Highs Amp: sold Sub Stage: all sold Sub Amp: sold Box: Wall @ ~30cu.ft. Electrical: 100ft 2/0 welding wire + 75ft 1/0 Audio Technix + 2 C&D 140's
    Deadener: 100sq.ft. Audio Technix 60mil

References (sold, bought): Winkychevelle, SKARaudio x2, Patthehat033, Mazdakid, Ten_ton_bass, GAMEOVERCCA, Horsemanwill, Boomsday, Zellner, g6ryder x2, Moble Enclosurs (Box design), Goodstuff, Bread0710, dgaf, Cat Man, and many more (MAF, CACO, & ebay references available as well [110+ transactions])

neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Soundman is a ripoff unless you're buying their stuff and, even then, not saving much.

IPad installs are actually pretty easy. You can just use a LOC with an Aux In if you want the bare basics. If you want to be fancy, use the line in of a HU or sound processor. As for the mount, @04murdalanche ; has done a couple and can suggest the best method for fabricating one.

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

5. Likes tc300 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Ideas for a processor: JBL MS8, Arc PS8, or Rockford 3.sixty

For an LOC, an Audiocontrol LC6i will be more than enough.

dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Those Audiocontrol ones are some of the most common but best out there, right? And I'd prefer to make my own than drop $1,200 to get one made.

Bought from: flastrongman, nitefury 360, luckyderder, Jayzbent, fasfocus00, flaboy22, oldschool4me, Chevy Blazin', Inter007, dross93ranger, 04murdalanche, glitchsta, photocrazy8

Traded with: mylows10 Sold to/traded with: garychoffman, juanmgarza, 04murdalanche, Markyg66, basswiigee, btolenti, supereikenator, shauncox26, eg9(x2), big scott, bad @SS chevy

Atl_monte is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Like Alec14 said Id rather make my own than drop $1200, I would like the iPad to charge when docked, and how would I get the signal to from the iPad to the Audiocontrol? Would the 12 volt istreamer be the only way to accomplish that? Or are there similar units?

tc300 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I know some1 who is doin an install with a mini.. Using the 3.5 jack to an alpine ai-net deck. Got the idea from me using the same alpine deck (cda-7892)...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Durango03 View Post
    SoundmanCA : Home of the iPad install
    Photos and info — Soundman - Home of the iPad mini Car Install

$1,200 bucks if they do it.. obviously much cheaper to just look at the pics and try to fiberglass one yourself. However they sell the necessary hardware as well.
    You can choose to buy from them or not, I only got the front face bezel and bent over for it, I got it because I couldn't get the face bezel to look the way I wanted it too.. But I can build anyone on here one for MUCH cheaper than 1200 and it will look just as good. They do have some nice pieces but everything on their website is over priced IMO

Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    Soundman is a ripoff unless you're buying their stuff and, even then, not saving much.

IPad installs are actually pretty easy. You can just use a LOC with an Aux In if you want the bare basics. If you want to be fancy, use the line in of a HU or sound processor. As for the mount, @04murdalanche ; has done a couple and can suggest the best method for fabricating one.
    This..

I've done 4 now. You nailed it pretty good, I will be using a Audison Bit ten D with my next install but for now I'm using a Kenwood x994, it allows me to control the ipad and still gives me volume control from the HU itself..

Ideas for a processor: JBL MS8, Arc PS8, or Rockford 3.sixty

For an LOC, an Audiocontrol LC6i will be more than enough.
    LC6i would be a good beginner choice, if you got dough I'd recommend either the 3sixty or the Audison bit tenD or bit one

Those Audiocontrol ones are some of the most common but best out there, right? And I'd prefer to make my own than drop $1,200 to get one made.
    Audiocontrol is decent but won't sound as good as the others previously mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Atl_monte View Post
    Like Alec14 said Id rather make my own than drop $1200, I would like the iPad to charge when docked, and how would I get the signal to from the iPad to the Audiocontrol? Would the 12 volt istreamer be the only way to accomplish that? Or are there similar units?
    You can use a thing called a pocket dock, or using the I streamer will help as well, I will be using a device called a Pure I20 with a Toslink cable to the Bit Ten D

PM me if you guys have any questions or need help.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Thanks for clarifying, Jeff. I've been taking a hard look at the Pure i20 as well for my next build...have to get an SUV within the next couple years because the family's growing by one soon. Planning to have a CZ702 in case we need radio or CD, but the brain will be an iPhone/iPad docked to a Pure i20 and then optical to an Arc PS8. If you have any recommendations on how to not even need the Clarion, I'm open to it, but the dash on my SUV options (Jimmy/Blazer/Tahoe/Cherokee) leads me to think I need something single-DIN sized in there just to keep it clean

dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

you can get a 30 pin connector that allows for charging and audio (independent of the volume and crappy headphone connector) for pretty cheap. i got one for under $10.

you will need something to process the audio, something with a volume control. could be as simple and cheap as a 1/2 din EQ or as fancy as a Bit One.

and that's about all you need. it will play music and with an internet connection it will do Pandora or even Netflix.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Do they still cost a good amount, even if you piece it together or build it yourself?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Thanks for clarifying, Jeff. I've been taking a hard look at the Pure i20 as well for my next build...have to get an SUV within the next couple years because the family's growing by one soon. Planning to have a CZ702 in case we need radio or CD, but the brain will be an iPhone/iPad docked to a Pure i20 and then optical to an Arc PS8. If you have any recommendations on how to not even need the Clarion, I'm open to it, but the dash on my SUV options (Jimmy/Blazer/Tahoe/Cherokee) leads me to think I need something single-DIN sized in there just to keep it clean
    You don't need a EQ, (the clarion) as long as you have something to get a clean signal from the ipad to your amps, whether it be to a HU, EQ or processor it doesn't matter. I just like having a HU or something where I can have multiple sources. That's why I want the Audison and for its SQ. Ill have the ipad going optical, then my second source will be a semi-permanently mounted iPod touch for just in case I forget my iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    you can get a 30 pin connector that allows for charging and audio (independent of the volume and crappy headphone connector) for pretty cheap. i got one for under $10.

you will need something to process the audio, something with a volume control. could be as simple and cheap as a 1/2 din EQ or as fancy as a Bit One.

and that's about all you need. it will play music and with an internet connection it will do Pandora or even Netflix.
    Keephopealive pretty much nailed it, one thing you guys can do to save money, is just buy the wifi only model and tether the Internet to your ipad so that you don't have to pay the monthly fee of 3g/4g service.

I have the ipad mini with 4g but I don't have a Internet subscription, the only reason I bought the one with 4g service is because it has a GPS chip inside of it that the wifi model does not, so when I tether the Internet to my ipad, I have turn by turn navigation.. Freakin lovely lol

Do they still cost a good amount, even if you piece it together or build it yourself?
    Does what cost a good amount? The dash fab?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 04murdalanche View Post
    You don't need a EQ, (the clarion) as long as you have something to get a clean signal from the ipad to your amps, whether it be to a HU, EQ or processor it doesn't matter. I just like having a HU or something where I can have multiple sources. That's why I want the Audison and for its SQ. Ill have the ipad going optical, then my second source will be a semi-permanently mounted iPod touch for just in case I forget my iPad.

Keephopealive pretty much nailed it, one thing you guys can do to save money, is just buy the wifi only model and tether the Internet to your ipad so that you don't have to pay the monthly fee of 3g/4g service.

I have the ipad mini with 4g but I don't have a Internet subscription, the only reason I bought the one with 4g service is because it has a GPS chip inside of it that the wifi model does not, so when I tether the Internet to my ipad, I have turn by turn navigation.. Freakin lovely lol

Does what cost a good amount? The dash fab?
    yeah, dash fab. And/or all the necessary parts to build a good ipad dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

yeah, dash fab. And/or all the necessary parts to build a good ipad dash.
    youll need a router or jig saw to cut out your faceplate, i just bought a faceplate directly from soundman to use as a template for now on, either fiberglass a pan yourself or buy one from soundman, youll need a lightening USB cable, fiberglass resin, and mat, sandpaper and some time lol you can build one for under $100 very easily.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast