Closed Thread

Reload Thread: prs 80 bass settings!

Joe562MMA is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

prs 80 bass settings!

can someone clarify for me exactly what they mean like the options in the "sub-woofer 2" i know the levels for level of bass lol, but the lpf has 50 ,63 ,eithysomthing 125 160... do i just go based off of what sounds best to my ears or how do i go about those settings..

does my box tuning have anything to do with it?

Mixing my martial Arts

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: prs 80 bass settings!

Low pass filter is the frequency at which the subwoofer will start being attenuated. E.g. if you use 63Hz, then subwoofer signal at 63Hz will be -3dB at 63Hz, and -XdB at an octave above (the crossover frequency times 2 = 126Hz). The X is the slope setting. It is set in the "network/subwoofer 3" section.

These settings are primarily for integrating your subwoofer with the front speakers. There are similar setting for the front speakers to set their high pass filter. How should you set these settings? Realistically, an average car audio speaker will sound sloppy when driven hard below 80Hz. At them same time, a subwoofer will sound sloppy (or no sound at all) at higher frequencies. 80Hz LP/HP both using 18dB slope is a good starting point. I personally prefer 63Hz as this results in a smoother, mellower, less offending bass specially if you have some recording that are badly recorded (e.g. kick drum sound exchagerated too much) setting crossovers at 80Hz should give more punch, but as I said it can sound more fatiguing with misbehaving records. Not every speaker can cope with 63Hz HP. 80Hz may be more prudent. In fact, if you use factory speakers or small 5 inch aftermarket woofers, 100Hz HP may be more appropriate.

Joe562MMA is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: prs 80 bass settings!

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Low pass filter is the frequency at which the subwoofer will start being attenuated. E.g. if you use 63Hz, then subwoofer signal at 63Hz will be -3dB at 63Hz, and -XdB at an octave above (the crossover frequency times 2 = 126Hz). The X is the slope setting. It is set in the "network/subwoofer 3" section.

These settings are primarily for integrating your subwoofer with the front speakers. There are similar setting for the front speakers to set their high pass filter. How should you set these settings? Realistically, an average car audio speaker will sound sloppy when driven hard below 80Hz. At them same time, a subwoofer will sound sloppy (or no sound at all) at higher frequencies. 80Hz LP/HP both using 18dB slope is a good starting point. I personally prefer 63Hz as this results in a smoother, mellower, less offending bass specially if you have some recording that are badly recorded (e.g. kick drum sound exchagerated too much) setting crossovers at 80Hz should give more punch, but as I said it can sound more fatiguing with misbehaving records. Not every speaker can cope with 63Hz HP. 80Hz may be more prudent. In fact, if you use factory speakers or small 5 inch aftermarket woofers, 100Hz HP may be more appropriate.

o ok thank you, i was playing around with it today at the lowest setting 50 i believe it sounded best to my ears & i set my hp to 126 i believe that sounds cleanest to me so if i have my subwoofer 2 setting at 50 what should the slope in sub-woofer 3 setting be at?

Mixing my martial Arts

Closed Thread