User Tag List

Closed Thread

Reload Thread: USB MP3 Performance: Best brand?

DrSlinky is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USB MP3 Performance: Best brand?

Hey guys.

In the wake of Sandy, I'm looking at a decent insurance payout, and getting a new car. Going from a 2002 Trans Am WS6 convertible to a 2001 Lincoln LS. Yeah, ouch. Trans Am was under 5 feet of water, totaled, and took the stereo with it. So my Alpine CDA-9831 isn't just outdated, it's dead.

One of the big features I've been missing out on has been USB/Flash storage for my MP3s. I asked a few friends, who are far from experts, but they all had varying degrees of experiences with flash drives. As I have 500+ CDs ripped onto my flash drive, this isn't just a required feature, but one in which performance is critical.

Is there a consensus on any brand and/or models that handle large flash drives better than others? Ideally, I'd like a head unit that can handle the current directory setup of "Artist/Album/Songs" and not require some strange piece of software to set up and maintain my MP3 collection.

Anybody have any advice, knowledge, experiences, that would help me make my decision easier?

wanton789 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: USB MP3 Performance: Best brand?

My Kenwood BT952 navigates nicely via USB (Artist/Album/Songs). The response time after pressing buttons is fast enough too... something I make sure of.
    This is their top of of the line for BT/USB receivers though. Maybe go down the line until you find one you like but doesn't necessarily have all the features.

Something like this one: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X395 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

My advice:
    -Go to your local Car Toys or equivalent and play around. Hopefully someone there can hook up their USB for you

-Also go on Crutchfield.com
    *Insane customer support (some person will literally chat with you for however long you want)
    *HU will be thoroughly described
    *The website will tell you what is compatible with your vehicle
    *They have adapter kits for most HU (double DIN to single)
    *Free instructions with purchase for most vehicles how to take apart everything

Your question is very general so do your research and come back with specific questions

Closed Thread