Closed Thread

Reload Thread: HAT Unity / IDQ12v3 equalization help with JL XD700/5 (going active)

wanton789 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

HAT Unity / IDQ12v3 equalization help with JL XD700/5 (going active)

HU: Kenwood KDC-BT952HD Single-DIN
    Fronts: HAT Unity
    Amp: JL XD700/5
    Sub: IDQ 12v3
    -with sealed 1 cu ft box

Car: 2002 Toyota Highlander

I understand I will have to tweak it once I get in there, but looking for some wisdom from people who have used these components before.

I will not be using the crossovers from Hybrid and will instead be using all 4 channels on the XD700/5 for the front. Sub will be wired 2 ohm to get ~300 W RMS.

----
    Looking for some advice on where to set the HPFs and LPF initially.

Further, if you look at a picture of the JL amp, there is a HPF setting: x1 and x10. Does this only apply to channels 1 and 2? Or all four channels? (I am assuming only 1 and 2... This is where I will put the tweeters?)

Do I need to look at the resonant frequency, Fs, to help determine where to set the filter? Or is it all just based on environment and specific to each situation?

----

Don't need too crazy of responses, just if you used these speakers before, where did you set your filter, etc.

P.S. all the components are linked up above

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

Re: HAT Unity / IDQ12v3 equalization help with JL XD700/5 (going active)

Quote Originally Posted by wanton789 View Post
    Further, if you look at a picture of the JL amp, there is a HPF setting: x1 and x10. Does this only apply to channels 1 and 2? Or all four channels? (I am assuming only 1 and 2... This is where I will put the tweeters?)

Do I need to look at the resonant frequency, Fs, to help determine where to set the filter? Or is it all just based on environment and specific to each situation?

----

Don't need too crazy of responses, just if you used these speakers before, where did you set your filter, etc.

P.S. all the components are linked up above

See what the amplifier manual says about the BP option for channels 3/4: "Configures the filter to attenuate frequencies below the indicated filter
    frequency AND above the Channel 1 & 2 Filter Frequency, at a rate of 12dB per octave."

Use channel 3/4 for the woofers. Set the crossover frequency at 5KHz or higher. This will mimic the supplied passive crossover settings.

It's not clear to me what are the benefits of going active with the head unit you have. People usually go active to be able to tune their system finely. You can't tune time alignment finely because this kenwood head unit does not allow it, and you can't equalize left and right channels independently. All you can do right now is adjust the volume level of tweeters, but the passive crossover already has settings for that. Have you tried this?

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1170 Post(s)

Re: HAT Unity / IDQ12v3 equalization help with JL XD700/5 (going active)

the included passives use a 12dB/oct slope at 5,200Hz both low and high pass.
    you can set tweeter output to +3dB, -3dB, or 0. this is a standard feature - which i think should be used to attenuate the tweeter closest to you (Driver side) for better imaging.

i agree with Zako

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Closed Thread